Moparts

Question about heat crossover on a 360

Posted By: Badge

Question about heat crossover on a 360 - 04/24/13 09:54 PM

I am new to small block Mopars and need some advice. I have attached a link to a photo of the 360 I am taking apart. It has a Mopar high rise single plane intake. Part of what I assume is a heat crossover port on each cylinder head is exposed and full of debris. Is this OK? Also, this intake has no coolant crossover at the rear. Is this OK? Thanks

ttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/Badge01/001-2_zpsb07fbeb5.jpg
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Question about heat crossover on a 360 - 04/24/13 10:07 PM

Quote:

I am new to small block Mopars and need some advice. I have attached a link to a photo of the 360 I am taking apart. It has a Mopar high rise single plane intake. Part of what I assume is a heat crossover port on each cylinder head is exposed and full of debris. Is this OK? Also, this intake has no coolant crossover at the rear. Is this OK? Thanks

It's not okay, clean it out. Rear coolant crossovers didn't start until 1985, if I remember right that was to help combat the crossover plugging up. I don't know of any aftermarket manifold that incorporates the rear crossover.

Robert

Re: Question about heat crossover on a 360 - 04/24/13 10:30 PM

Thanks Robert. Once I clean them out, how do I cover them? This manifold does not do the job.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Question about heat crossover on a 360 - 04/24/13 10:34 PM

Oh, finally found the picture. Never seen a manifold which covers that portion of the head, don't worry about it unless you just want to clean it. I thought we were talking about the crossover proper.

Robert

Attached picture 7681152-001-2_zpsb07fbeb5.jpg
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Question about heat crossover on a 360 - 04/24/13 11:03 PM

Not sure about that rear coolant cross over, my 87 Diplomat never had one. Maybe it was an EFI thing in trucks?

If the small gap shown in the picture above is where your debris is, then that's not uncommon, you can clean it out if you want, but it tends to collect stuff there anyway. It's not connected to anything. If it's the actual passageway in the intake, then you ought to clean it out, even if you plant to run an intake gasket without an opening for that passageway.

Re: Question about heat crossover on a 360 - 04/24/13 11:20 PM

Thank you for the info. I thought I best ask.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Question about heat crossover on a 360 - 04/25/13 01:41 AM

The horse shoe shaped opening in the head around the heat cross over port is there to serve as an open air dam of sorts to break up with outside air the heat build up between adjacent exhaust ports and the hot heat crossover .
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Question about heat crossover on a 360 - 04/25/13 02:38 AM

Quote:

The horse shoe shaped opening in the head around the heat cross over port is there to serve as an open air dam of sorts to break up with outside air the heat build up between adjacent exhaust ports and the hot heat crossover .

I keep mine clean with the airgun nozzle every now and then.

no water cross over on any SB I ever worked on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums