Moparts

Please help me select seats!

Posted By: 70Drop

Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 07:15 AM

My street/strip '70 Duster is nearing completion. The factory bench seat needs to go - heavy and not too cool. I'm thinking about going with aftermarket seats. It looks like Procar has some decent seats for not a whole lot of money, and they're high-back and have slots for the harness. Also, Procar sells model-specific brackets that will (supposedly) allow me to bolt them up to the existing holes in my floor. But they say their brackets only work with their seats. There's another company called Wedge that makes model-specific brackets. They say their brackets will work with seats from all the major aftermarket seat manufacturers. I guess if I bought their brackets, I would have more options for seats. I really don't want a basic Jegs or Summit poly seat. I want something that is halfway comfortable and looks nice, but I don't want to spend more than about $200 per seat.

In the past, I've used junkyard seats and drilled holes in floors to make them fit. I couldn't get them to line up with the existing reinforcement ribs in the floorpan, so I had to make my own reinforcement plates. Also, I had to use spacers to level the seats. This time, I would prefer to have a clean solution that also won't annoy the NHRA tech inspectors.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 08:46 AM

Mike,

I have Procar rally seats. They don't have the holes for harnesses though.

I used my factory bucket seat tracks. I only had to drill one hole per side. Sort of high though.

Attached picture 7679122-ScatSeat11_26_12Sm6.JPG

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 08:48 AM

68 bucket seat tracks

Attached picture 7679123-ScatSeat11_26_12Sm3.JPG
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 03:30 PM

Quote:

I have Procar rally seats .

Ditto...nice and comfortable and kind of supportive too without being over the top.

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 04:54 PM

Thanks Steve and OzHemi. I think I'll go with the Procar seats, then. Did you buy the sliders from Procar, also? Maybe I'll look for a set of factory bucket seat brackets before I order the brackets from Procar. Procar's brackets are $70 each

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 05:06 PM

I modified the factory brackets to work on them...since I have them in my Holden, and they don't make brackets for them.

(I did ship a pair to a buddy in Oz and he used the Scat brackets and they worked great, and I had used a pair in a Camaro for a buddy some years back and used thier brackets again for that one)

Here are mine...

(Steve had saw when I found them at the swap meet actually )

Attached picture 7679446-2013-04-2308.57.56.jpg

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 05:06 PM

Attached picture 7679447-2013-04-2308.58.09.jpg
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 05:08 PM

DO NOT buy the Procar Sportsman racing seats. Probably the least comfortable seat i've ever sat in.

I can't speak for the other styles of seats, but don't get the sportsmans.

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 05:14 PM

By the way, don't know where you are in California..but if you are anywhere around here (SoCal) might be worth just dropping by Scat/Procar and sitting in them there too. They always have been good to talk to in my talking with them at least, and they are just in the south bay area.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 07:26 PM

Quote:

By the way, don't know where you are in California..but if you are anywhere around here (SoCal) might be worth just dropping by Scat/Procar and sitting in them there too. They always have been good to talk to in my talking with them at least, and they are just in the south bay area.

Please xplain "South Bay" area for those not in the know

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 08:34 PM

They are located in Redondo Beach ? from memory....or near abouts there.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:00 PM

Summit Sport seats might be a reasonable compromise between cost, comfort, and functionality. I'm happy with mine.

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks Steve and OzHemi. I think I'll go with the Procar seats, then. Did you buy the sliders from Procar, also? Maybe I'll look for a set of factory bucket seat brackets before I order the brackets from Procar. Procar's brackets are $70 each

I just used my factory 68 Bucket Seat tracks. But it does make the seat pretty high. Used factory bucket seat brackets usually are more than $70 each.

Mike, I'm just over in Simi if you want to try/check them out. Of course the car will be at Spring Fling.

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:09 PM

Quote:

Mike, I'm just over in Simi if you want to try/check them out.

Mine are available for a test-sit too, if you were around here..

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:10 PM

Quote:

Literally behind the South Bay Galleria. But you have to take this real circuitous but short route to get around to them.

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Literally behind the South Bay Galleria. But you have to take this real circuitous but short route to get around to them.

Helicopter be easier ?

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:15 PM

Quote:

I modified the factory brackets to work on them...since I have them in my Holden, and they don't make brackets for them.

(I did ship a pair to a buddy in Oz and he used the Scat brackets and they worked great, and I had used a pair in a Camaro for a buddy some years back and used thier brackets again for that one)

Here are mine...

(Steve had saw when I found them at the swap meet actually )

Attached picture 7679689-Copyof1_29_12LBSwap02.JPG

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:20 PM

I haven't seen any again since then too..

(Were you out there at that Pomona years ago when I had found that other pair?)

My buddy in Oz bought some from Summit and has then in his VF coupe,he really likes them too.

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:28 PM

Quote:

My buddy in Oz bought some from Summit and has then in his VF coupe,he really likes them too.

Don't remember that other pair.

I bought the ones pictured above BRAND NEW never used at the long beach swap meet around 10 years ago. For like $150-$200. About year later I bought one brand new scat seat in black too for like $75. But just one

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:31 PM

Quote:

Mike that's a very good suggestion. I know at SEMA Scat had a display of all their seats you could sit in. I can't remember if they have those out in their reception room. But call Scat direct and ask if they have some you can sit in.

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 09:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't remember that other pair.

I bought the ones pictured above BRAND NEW never used at the long beach swap meet around 10 years ago. For like $150-$200. About year later I bought one brand new scat seat in black too for like $75. But just one

That first set I had found, ended up in the '69/'99 Camaro I built for my buddy in Oz.

And maybe one of these days you will find the matching other seat to that single one you found.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 10:46 PM

You only need one seat! The cooler goes in the other side.

R.

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 11:15 PM

I think it might be worth the trip to Scat, especially since the comfort of the Sportsman seats is in question. I was thinking about getting the Sportsmans, since they are more in my price range.
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 11:22 PM

Summit sport seats. They seem reasonably comfortable, not driven the car yet with these seats. I made my own tracks to keep them reasonably low.

Attached picture 7679814-IMG_0084.JPG

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 11:23 PM

meh

Attached picture 7679815-IMG_0086.JPG

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 11:23 PM

mehmer

Attached picture 7679818-IMG_0091.JPG
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/23/13 11:58 PM

Quote:

I think it might be worth the trip to Scat, especially since the comfort of the Sportsman seats is in question. I was thinking about getting the Sportsmans, since they are more in my price range.

I don't live close enough to anywhere that I could sit in the seats... worried about the width. I'm 6'1 but around 290 lb, way too much of it centered, and a lot of these seats look awfully narrow for a "2XL" beer & pizza gut

Any recommendations from similarly sized men?

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/24/13 01:55 AM

Quote:

Any recommendations from similarly sized men?

A diet.

(I think it might have been Scat that did wider seats for the "problem" width rear end. )
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/24/13 02:24 AM

Quote:

A diet.

OK, OK, I should have known better with this crowd

Quote:

I think it might have been Scat that did wider seats for the "problem" width rear end.

It's not my rear end that is the problem, it's actually quite narrow and even fits in regional-jet seats. The width problem is my shoulders, chest and gut. If I get an extra-wide seat, it may actually be too big for my butt.

Re: Please help me select seats! - 04/24/13 02:27 AM

So you need a seat shaped sort of like an inverted pyramid? Wide on top...narrow on the bottom ?

Hmmmmmm.....

Sorry....I don't really have any (helpfull) ideas on that one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums