Moparts

magnum head conversion pushrods still available?

Posted By: tt76400

magnum head conversion pushrods still available? - 04/19/13 03:00 AM

Have 2 small block budget builds going, one of them may be a magnum head swap on an earlier 318 shortblock, I am having difficulty locating the correct pushrods for this swap, I know MP used to offer them, but I cannot locate them anymore, are they still available, or are alternatives out there?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: magnum head conversion pushrods still available? - 04/19/13 03:12 AM

IIRC, a few had said those are a tad short and used another length PR

maybe patrick or someone that saved the info will chime in.

seems like they mention a ferd PR for the fix???

I will write it down this time for sure.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: magnum head conversion pushrods still available? - 04/19/13 03:41 AM

Quote:

a few had said those are a tad short and used another length PR. seems like they mention a ferd PR for the fix???

X2. I'd wait & mock it up & see what exact length you need with a checking (adjustable) pushrod for .020-.030" preload with 1&1/2 threads showing (if using adj rocker arms) & see if an off the shelf pushrod is available in that length or how close to it you can come & go from there. EDIT there's some 7.375" ball/ball oil thru ones for $75 to your door & some 7.5" P4529555 ball/cup for $60 to your door in the for sale section. MORE EDIT My MP catalog says the P4529555 ones are 7.34". I believe you measure to the bottom of the cup which might explain that.
Posted By: patrick

Re: magnum head conversion pushrods still available? - 04/19/13 02:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

a few had said those are a tad short and used another length PR. seems like they mention a ferd PR for the fix???

X2. I'd wait & mock it up & see what exact length you need with a checking (adjustable) pushrod for .020-.030" preload with 1&1/2 threads showing (if using adj rocker arms) & see if an off the shelf pushrod is available in that length or how close to it you can come & go from there. EDIT there's some 7.375" ball/ball oil thru ones for $75 to your door & some 7.5" P4529555 ball/cup for $60 to your door in the for sale section. MORE EDIT My MP catalog says the P4529555 ones are 7.34". I believe you measure to the bottom of the cup which might explain that.

best way is to measure and then go to summit and see if you can find some pushrods the right length....with so many things that could alter pushrod length (has the block been decked? have the heads been shaved? head gasket thickness? is the cam a reduced base circle?, etc)....

if you are running a hydraulic roller and need pushrods just slightly longer than OEM magnum ones, these work great (.024-.036" longer depending on what you read nominal magnum pushrod length is) and are cheap at $30 for a set of 16. they're what I used on mine with a reground roller cam

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-7828-16/overview/
Posted By: moturbopar

Re: magnum head conversion pushrods still available? - 04/19/13 04:21 PM

I found that boss 302 pushrods, worked perfectly in MY magnum head 360 conversion. part # elgin PR-278s Picked up new set for under $35
here is a chart that shows the sizes they have.
http://catalog.elginind.com/app/engine_tech.asp?category=Push+Rods+by+Finish+Size
Posted By: tt76400

Re: magnum head conversion pushrods still available? - 04/19/13 04:24 PM

Thanks to all for the info, just what I needed!
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: magnum head conversion pushrods still available? - 04/20/13 02:50 AM

I used Summit 7.650" pushrods and they have worked well for the last 5 years.
© 2024 Moparts Forums