Moparts

scrapping an old engine

Posted By: enelson

scrapping an old engine - 05/24/08 04:24 PM

Hey all,

What's the deal with scrapping an engine? I have this old 361 here from my satellite that I don't really want to keep around. Should I post a 25$ for sale ad on craigslist or can I take it down to the local scrap yard and come out ahead on the deal? Anyone ever do this before? What all is required to scrap the motor?

Thanks in advance!

Eric
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: scrapping an old engine - 05/24/08 05:26 PM

Save yourself the aggravation of dealing with craiglist [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean], pennypinchers and tightwads.
Throw in in your truck and take it across the scales at the local scrapper.
Posted By: enelson

Re: scrapping an old engine - 05/24/08 05:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's kindof what I was thinking. Plus I don't really want to have to deal with people calling and kicking the tires on this engine while it sits outside and my wife gets progressively more angry about it

Seems noone's open til tuesday being holiday weekend. I assume as long as fluids are drained we're good to go?
Posted By: A38s!

Re: scrapping an old engine - 05/24/08 08:26 PM

Quote:

Save yourself the aggravation of dealing with craiglist [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean], pennypinchers and tightwads.
Throw in in your truck and take it across the scales at the local scrapper.

Exactly. Found a 81 Volvo Wagon on CL last week. Runs. Drives. $100. Listed 5 days already.

So, I call the guy.

Me: It runs?

Guy: Yes.

Me: Drives?

Guy: Yes.

Me: Title?

Guy: Ready to sign.

Me: I'll take it.

Guy: No more questions?

Me: No.

Guy: (yells) Thank GAWD!. Everyone who has called asked if the air conditioning works...

Posted By: stubbs300

Re: scrapping an old engine - 05/24/08 10:13 PM

I can tell you don't care if the a/c works or not! I wouldn't, as I have a/c in the boat of my rides and never use it anyway!
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: scrapping an old engine - 05/24/08 10:23 PM

Craigslist is cake to use, just dont put your phone number in and you wont get the time wasters. Use the blind email they provide. Just describe its condition clearly, maybe a picture, give your general location: ie nearest major cross streets, and a price. I'd ask $100 if its "complete", then offer a "come n get it NOW" discount to the first serious emailer

If you just put "361 motor, $25" your asking for tons of questions. The time you take to write the ad will save you that time 10 fold
Posted By: A38s!

Re: scrapping an old engine - 05/24/08 11:26 PM

For $100 bucks, a running, driving car: you shouldn't be picky.
© 2024 Moparts Forums