Moparts

Power to Manual steering conversion

Posted By: mopowers

Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 02:17 AM

I have a 68 Dart that currently has power steering. But I would like to convert it to manual steering. Will a steering shaft from a manual steer 68 Valiant work with my power steering column and a manual steer box??? Do I need anything else for the swap? I already have a manual steer coupler.
Posted By: DANA60

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 03:20 AM

The column shaft is longer on the man. They sell an add on extension. Mancini has it. It is no big deal. Maybe you'll want to try one of Flamming Rivers 16-1 ratio. It's pricy, but I liked it. Not as good as a rack though, I loved those.

Attached picture 7652542-IMG_3514_1_1.JPG
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 04:23 AM

I swapped my '69 Barracuda from power steering to manual steering. Replaced the gearbox and swapped just the column steering shaft in my column for a column steering shaft out of a '71 Demon column that had manual steering. Everything worked great. You should be good to go.

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 02:31 PM

Thanks you guys!
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 04:49 PM

Make sure the nylon shear pins are in tact if you decide to just swap out the inner shaft. They allow the shaft to collapse in the event of blunt force to your chest.

BTW, I believe the manual column is 3" longer.

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 05:02 PM

Where are the nylon shear pins located? I've never had one of these apart before.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 05:36 PM

all you need is the man box and a steering adaptor. Mancini sells them. You can try e-bay for a used one, they 'aint cheap, like $130

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 05:38 PM

The inner shaft is collapsable in the event of an accident, steering wheel into chest. The sheer pins are in the middle of the inner shaft.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 05:44 PM

much easier than swaping the actual column. http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mamastad.html

Attached picture 7653116-chucker54_2257_92239238.jpg

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 07:05 PM

Yes, easier, but more $$. I picked up a junk column for $15 and just used the inner shaft. Just throwin out some options for the OP.

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 07:21 PM

Quote:

Yes, easier, but more $$. I picked up a junk column for $15 and just used the inner shaft. Just throwin out some options for the OP.

What was the junk column out of??

I know there adapters out there. I'd rather not use one though, if I can just get the proper length shaft.

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

Make sure the nylon shear pins are in tact if you decide to just swap out the inner shaft. They allow the shaft to collapse in the event of blunt force to your chest.

BTW, I believe the manual column is 3" longer.

What happens if the shear nylon pins are not in tact? Can I replace them with something?

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 09:46 PM

Quote:

What was the junk column out of??

Got a column from a 67 Dart

Shear pin info

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0
Posted By: 383man

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 11:10 PM

I changed my 63 from power to manual steering. Just used the manual box and added the steering adapter you can see here. The same one Mr Yuck posted. Ron

Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 11:26 PM

I had a problem with the Firm Feel adapter (shown) fitting the box loosely.

So, yet another option, since you have the manual coupler, would be to cut the shaft and add 2.5" of .75" round stock to the PS shaft. I used a simple jig to hold everything in alignment for welding. A coupler rebuild kit can be ordered at your local parts store cheaper than what they're selling for online: Dorman "Steering shaft rebuild kit" # 425-253

Posted By: jwilson 61

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/03/13 11:32 PM

Another option is weld the factory manual coupler to the bottom of the power steering coupler it works perfect as I've done it several times. perfect length difference.

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/22/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

I changed my 63 from power to manual steering. Just used the manual box and added the steering adapter you can see here. The same one Mr Yuck posted. Ron

Hey Ron,

Did you cut your tube down? What did you use for a lower support bearing?

Thanks!
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/22/13 11:12 PM

I did the same as Ron for my steering. I wonder if anyone has used one of the available universal joint setups to replace the coupler and if so, how's it working out for you?
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/22/13 11:56 PM

Here is how to lengthen the shaft without buying a bunch of stuff: the inner shaft and the outer shaft will telescope in the event of a crash. The thing that prevents them from moving under normal circumstances is a nylon "pin" in a hole that goes crossways thru the shaft in the area where the inner and outer shafts overlap. The nylon pin looks like it is cast in place somehow.
What you can do is whack the bottom end of the shaft with a BFH to shear off the nylon pin. Then you can pull the lower shaft down untill it is the right length for the manual box. Another set of holes should then be in alignment that you can put a soft aluminum or nylon pin back into. If they are not in alignment, you can drill a new hole.

Worked for me. Joel
Posted By: weazel

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/23/13 01:04 AM

I have a 67 manual floor shift steering column that has been rebuilt/repainted that will bolt in. The only issue is that it does not have the key on the column. Since 67 barracudas had the ignition on the dash. Im not sure where your ignition switch is? If interested shoot me a pm.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/23/13 02:57 AM

I bought a shaft from BobsProFab, I liked the idea of getting rid of that sloppy coupler.

Attached picture 7678800-IMAG1215.jpg

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/23/13 01:19 PM

Quote:

I bought a shaft from BobsProFab, I liked the idea of getting rid of that sloppy coupler.

I really like the idea, too. Gotta be less slop than the factory "pot". How is it working out? Getting a lot of road vibration through the steering column? Any binding or unusual sounds? My only concern would be the lack of any way for the shaft to be able to slightly move in and out.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/23/13 01:47 PM

I wish I knew, this car probably wont be drivable for another few months.
Posted By: barracudabob

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/24/13 03:59 AM

What size are splines on a manual steering box? I'm trying to find a universal joint to mate to 3/4" round stock for my race car. Flaming River list them, but the price is really high. Speedway Motors have several, but no sure if they'll fit.

Re: Power to Manual steering conversion - 04/26/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

I did the same as Ron for my steering. I wonder if anyone has used one of the available universal joint setups to replace the coupler and if so, how's it working out for you?

BTT
© 2024 Moparts Forums