Moparts

changing valve springs on engine

Posted By: babarracuda

changing valve springs on engine - 04/02/13 09:43 PM

How thick and how much rope is needed? Do you just shove it in the spark plug hole crank up the piston (by Hand) until the piston is up as far a moderate turning allows?
Posted By: Mick70RR

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/02/13 10:26 PM

The thickest rope you can get through the plug hole would be best. 10mm here in Europe, 3/8" would be your best bet.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/02/13 10:38 PM

2 ft of 3/8" white nylon rope from your hardware store. Just move the crank CCW aways down from TDC then feed the rope in leaving just a pigtail out then hand turn the crank CW till it locks. Keep the rope in a plastic grocery bag to keep it clean for the next time.

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/03/13 01:50 PM

Thanks guys! I have built many engines but never changed springs on the engine. The smart man doesn't know everything, he just knows who to ask.

Attached picture 7652857-ted.JPG
Posted By: 340727dart

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/03/13 04:23 PM

You'd better hope the rope doesn't get all tangled up once inside the cylinder. You'll end up pulling the head if it does.
Just use air. As long as your valves are sealing properly you won't need to worry about one dropping.
Besides, you won't be introducing fibers or other junk into the cylinders with air like you do with the rope trick. That rope will be clean only on the first cylinder. After that, it's dirty.
Posted By: 383man

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/03/13 11:24 PM

This tool works great. It lets you use both hands when taking the keepers out and changing the springs or seals. I bought it from Mancini. Ron

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/03/13 11:26 PM

The smart man doesn't know everything, he just knows who to ask.

That is so true. No one can remember everything but knowing where to find the info is important ! Ron
Posted By: Todd

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/03/13 11:45 PM

Just changed a set on a 426RB with eddy heads. With the piston at TDC still had enough room to get the keepers out with the valve pushed down. I used the pro form tool that Mancini has. Would have been easier with the tool that Ron has.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/03/13 11:49 PM

x 99 ..... uNless you have some HD triple springs .... use LOTS of air-pressure instead of that rope.
Posted By: Von

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/04/13 12:46 AM

Ive always used rope. Nothing wrong with it, just takes some finessing, depending on piston head type.

Used air a couple weeks ago. I'll never use rope again!

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/04/13 02:19 AM

air is faster & time is money
Posted By: 64Post

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/04/13 05:28 AM

Quote:

Just changed a set on a 426RB with eddy heads. With the piston at TDC still had enough room to get the keepers out with the valve pushed down. I used the pro form tool that Mancini has. Would have been easier with the tool that Ron has.

X2, no need to screw with air or rope.

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/04/13 06:22 AM

Quote:

This tool works great. It lets you use both hands when taking the keepers out and changing the springs or seals. I bought it from Mancini. Ron

That Mancini tool looks SLICK
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/04/13 07:04 AM

Ted...you can borrow the tool i have if you want..

As long as those heads have bolt holes in the end for accessories ..then it will work...has worked on standard heads...eddy heads..and w2 heads..

It is an old Ed Hamburger tool from the 80s...slightly modified ...
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/04/13 03:22 PM

Ron, is that tool using the pushrod to compress the spring?

Also, where'd you get those rocker shaft studs? Did they come as a kit or did you have to do some work getting ones that worked?

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/04/13 07:45 PM

Quote:

Ron, is that tool using the pushrod to compress the spring?

Also, where'd you get those rocker shaft studs? Did they come as a kit or did you have to do some work getting ones that worked?

No the tool has this allen screw that you just screw down and it pushes the valve spring down. You just stop when its down far enough and it stays there while you use both hands to work on removing the spring. Works real nice. The studs are the studs that came with the Hughes rocker shaft hold downs and hardware kit I got from Hughes. Ron
Posted By: MAVERICKSHEMI

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/05/13 03:46 AM

That Tool is no longer available.

Also if you use rope I suggest using Ski rope. Easier to work with. Easier to clean also. Todd at Marsh performance gave me that Tip.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/05/13 03:53 AM

I bought a Hemi version of this tool a couple years ago....
Posted By: MAVERICKSHEMI

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/05/13 03:58 AM

Mancini Says Tool is back on order. Guy who invented the tool is having production problems at the present time.....

I just purchased Troutt's Tool for removing 426 hemi springs with Heads on motor. WORKED GREAT. Customer service is great. Also follow up call. They aim to plz....

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/05/13 04:17 AM

Quote:

From who Rick? Mancini Says Back order. Guy who invented the tool is having production problems at the present time.....

I just purchased Troutt's Tool for removing 426 hemi springs with Heads on motor. WORKED GREAT. Customer service is great. Also follow up call. They aim to plz....

From their site ....

$199.95
MREABRBVST
This item is currently out of stock

.... now for 200 beans .... I don't know about that ...
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/05/13 03:36 PM

The tool is trick, 200 bucks is a bit steep but I kind of want one, I need to install my second springs after break in, and I really don't want to fool around with crappy tools trying to put the inner springs in a brand new engine.

And the kit looks good Ron, I was having trouble finding studs for hold downs and thought I was going to have to custom make my own kit, but this makes it easy. Thanks for the info.

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/05/13 04:30 PM

Quote:

The tool is trick, 200 bucks is a bit steep

, I'd suggest a plumbing T, a long threaded plumbing nipple to screw into the T for a handle, a sleeve inside to protect the rocker shaft from the inside threads on the T & the only slightly harder part is welding a pair of tabs on the T to contact the retainer
Posted By: KnuckleDuster

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/06/13 11:16 AM

Tim (70Dart360) R.I.P. Told me just to use the crank type valve spring compressor they sell at most every parts store,along with rope and a magnet for the keepers. I'm getting ready to do it next week while off work.

Any serious drawbacks or tips?

P.S. -I don't have shop air for that trick or a welder to make a tool from a rocker.
Posted By: 340727dart

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/06/13 09:22 PM

Quote:

Tim (70Dart360) R.I.P. Told me just to use the crank type valve spring compressor they sell at most every parts store,along with rope and a magnet for the keepers. I'm getting ready to do it next week while off work.

Any serious drawbacks or tips?

P.S. -I don't have shop air for that trick or a welder to make a tool from a rocker.

Depending on how stiff the springs are, that tool can be a bit difficult to turn.
So, I welded an old 3/4" half-inch drive socket onto the star wheel.
Now I can use a ratchet wrench to turn the tool and it makes the job a whole lot easier.

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/07/13 12:37 AM

I was kinda wondering how hard it would be to turn that little knob. I might have to enlist a friend to weld a socket on. I could probably get help to make a tool from a rocker as well but would like to be able to use both hands on the keepers. Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/07/13 12:43 AM

I just got done replacing valve seals on a 440 this morning. Used air. Used a spring compressor with. T handle on top-very common. Definitely use a strong small magnet to draw the keepers out. Also use a mallet or hammer on your spring compressor to pop the keepers loose.

It's an easy job.

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/07/13 06:39 AM

Quote:

The tool is trick, 200 bucks is a bit steep but I kind of want one, I need to install my second springs after break in, and I really don't want to fool around with crappy tools trying to put the inner springs in a brand new engine.

And the kit looks good Ron, I was having trouble finding studs for hold downs and thought I was going to have to custom make my own kit, but this makes it easy. Thanks for the info.

Same deal for me as I wanted a tool to make it easy and make no messes on my new eng. You cant beat this tool as you dont have to use one hand to hold a T handle and keep the spring pushed down. You just screw the allen screw down until the spring is far enough down. Then you have both hands to use a magnet if you like and the other hand can make sure the keepers hook to the magnet. Going back in is so easy as you have both hands to get the keepers in posistion on the valve. Its just so much nicer to me when working on my new 493 to have both hands and be sure I dont drop anything and it all goes together real good. Ron
Posted By: Erics5th

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/07/13 03:45 PM

I've used vacuum line to keep the valves in instead of rope. Depends what you have laying around...

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/09/13 04:58 PM

I bought the tool from Proform. The holes for the bolts were off a litle. I drilled a slightly larger hole. My problem is that my big fingers can't seem to get the keepers installed. I took a pair of needle nose pliers and gound a groove so the keeper would stay in the pliers. That got the first half in but I can't seem to get the second half in place. I need a mechanic with thin fingers. Getting old is not for sissies. Tarnished not Golden years.
Posted By: Todd

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/09/13 05:34 PM

I used the magnet on a pocket screw driver and the tip of my finger. No way would I try that with out. They would just end up on the floor or in the engine. I also used the Proform tool. No air just the piston at TDC on that cylinder.

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/09/13 11:30 PM

I wish I were not a 71 year old man with a bad back and eyes just to name a couple of issues. Remember, don't get old!!

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/20/13 03:40 AM

The $20 parts store tool and 38 cents worth of rope worked just fine for me! Thanks guys! MUCH easier than I thought it would be.Had to remove my brake booster and fan for access,but other than that it was a breeze.
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/20/13 03:19 PM

Done more on car valve spring R&Rs than I care to recall. Did it with clothes line rope several times before I had an air compressor.

I've used the universal KD tool, which is brutal on the hands with stiffer springs (wear a glove). Won't work with B-hives IIRC. Can be very difficult with doubles since it doesn't compress the inner coil.

Have one of these now. Working clearance can be a little tight around the booster/MC, as well as around the Kick Down linkage. No show stoppers. A little challenging on the small beehive retainers too. Much quicker than the KD tool. Works good off the car too if you just bolt the head to the work bench.

You can also put a cheater pipe on the lever tool and then tuck it under your arm to free up a hand while you're fumbling with the keepers.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/20/13 03:33 PM

Ditto on the K-D tool, my hands sing the blues the next day.

Mind you I've only worked on big block wedges, but all I've ever done to change springs or seals was to have that cylinder on TDC, plug out. and using a small bent little screwdriver through the plug hole to hold the valve against the seat to remove the locks with a magnet.

The valves won't drop out of sight with the piston up top.
I use a little rap on the retainer to free up the locks before compressing the spring.

BUT....keep some rags blocking the drain passages before you start!!

Joe
Posted By: Mebsuta

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/21/13 03:41 AM

Marked for later because I'm about to do this. Will replace 45 year old originals with OEM replacement.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/21/13 12:41 PM

I've got the KD tool, but welded a 3/4" nut on it years ago to use a ratchet. Used to do lots of them on smokin' used cars(mostly brand X) back in my tech. days. I always just brought the piston to t.d.c. and never used air or rope or anything.Unless your piston is 4" down the cylinder at t.d.c.(!)where's it gonna go?Haven't lost one down the hole yet.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: changing valve springs on engine - 04/21/13 02:28 PM

Amen
© 2024 Moparts Forums