Moparts

Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use?

Posted By: dusterguy

Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use? - 03/31/13 12:16 AM

I have a crankshaft that has sat in an unheated garage for the last 15 years. I am wondering if it will clean up with machine work or is it toast. Will it tear up the rear main seal? Please look at the picture and tell me if I have a new doorstop.

Attached picture 7647511-image.jpg
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use? - 03/31/13 12:40 AM

Most any crank that is straight and not cracked can be repaired, check with a machine shop. It might be best to acid dip it take care of any rust in the oil passages.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use? - 03/31/13 04:40 AM

I would have it thoroughly cleaned, hot tank, glass bead blasted or media(plastic beads) blasted and go from there, I would think of using that one for a offset ground 3.91 stroke in a low deck
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use? - 03/31/13 08:54 AM

Just make sure to watch how all these extra costs are going to add up. Used GOOD 440 steel cranks are easy to find, and you shouldn't be out more than $150-200 for one that just needs polishing. Start spending $3-400 on the old one and you could be close to getting a stroker crank, or at least a new stock stroke crank.
Posted By: moparman89

Re: Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use? - 03/31/13 03:04 PM

Pass on that.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use? - 03/31/13 03:48 PM

What Pale Roader said. It's nice to save the old stuff but when you can buy new 4.15 stroke cranks for $400 like I did a few years ago it doesn't make sense to save this one for a 440 build. I would consider nipping it down for a B stroker build though as CAB said.
I'm sure if you had it to do over again you would have spread a big of grease on those journals.

Sheldon
Posted By: dusterguy

Re: Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use? - 03/31/13 04:48 PM

I got it in a parts deal this way. I just didn't want to throw it away because I virtually have nothing invested in it. I will take it to my machine shop and see what it looks like after a dip and blast. Wish me luck!
Posted By: rook440

Re: Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use? - 03/31/13 06:36 PM

there is a simple way to clean the rust off at home...check out electrolosis online...I discovered this truely unreal cheap process when i was working on my mill..all u need is a
10 dollar tote a battery charger some rerod and a box of borax laundry booster..ive used on crankshafts anyone would have thrown away and they came perfectly clean...youtube might have a video on this but it is definately the wat to go for rust removal from anything..
Posted By: dodgedartgt

Re: Rusty 440 forged crankshaft - too rusty to use? - 04/01/13 01:49 AM

Rook440

Can you post any before / after pictures? I'm aware of the electrolysis process, and would like to see more/

Thnx, Mike in FL
© 2024 Moparts Forums