Moparts

2nd time bleeding brakes??

Posted By: abc440

2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/23/13 09:51 PM

I installed front disc brake conversion last week. Bled brakes, took for test run. Stop ok slow, but no lock up at 40 mph. I read on here about gravity bleeding. Jacked up rear end and opened RR bleed screw 1 turn, been setting for 1 hour, not 1 drop out yet (top off master). On 71 charger, any ideas???? Thanks dave (also new master c)
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/23/13 10:11 PM

Why jack it up? Just open the bleeders until fluid runs out. You may not have opened them far enough.I have pulled bleeders out completely because they were plugged.

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/24/13 12:35 AM

I took rear wheel off just to get a better view and see what i was doing. Took bleeder screw all way out, not stopped up. It has been 3 hours, still no fluid. Have you used the one man bleed kit before from parts store? Do they work?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/24/13 12:45 AM

If they dont pump up then they are bled out tho there could be a slight amt of air in there that is hindering things but to K.I.S.S. it sounds like there ain't enough braking force at the wheels for whatever reason as it for sure should lock em up. would they lock up before the swap? What M/C What discs? Could get all 4 wheels off of the ground & idle it in gear & have a helper hit the pedal to see what the rears do and spin the fronts forward by hand & same thing. If air I'd bleed the M/C then rr/lr/rf/lf. On gravity bleeding sometimes you have to push the pedal a bit to get the flow started & doing both is the best.
Posted By: d-150

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/24/13 12:55 AM

proportioning valve.you will probably need a vacuum bleeder for rear
Posted By: ahy

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/24/13 02:03 AM

If you want to jack it, suggest you do both ends. With the rear higher than the front, gravity bled may not work so well.

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/24/13 02:16 AM

Yes, I put portioning valve in the line going to rear. I jacked up rear just an inch to get rear wheels off. Thaanks
Posted By: d-150

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/24/13 02:22 AM

what happens is there is a valve in their that goes off center and will cut off fluid to front or rear if it thinks there is a leak in the system.if you pull vacuum with bleeder tool the valve will center and let fluid in line
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/25/13 02:51 AM

Gravity bleed..you need to raise the front higher than the rear..when bleeding the rear..and reverse for the front..works pretty good..
Posted By: ply64post

Phoenix injector - 03/25/13 04:46 PM

This makes the job very easy and less of a mess.It can be used to bleed brakes and hydraulic clutches.You push the fluid from the bleeder up to master cylinder which all the air is pushed out.Have one of my own and works perfectly.No fluid running over your detailed parts.If you do your own brake and hydraulic clutch work it is a must You won't be sorry it saves a lot of headaches!!!

http://www.gwrauto.com/phoenix/phxinj.html

or Google Phoenix injector
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Phoenix injector - 03/25/13 08:32 PM

Just used a Lyle bleeder on all 4 wheels yesterday worked great small cup and lid with tube threw it plus small amount of fluid in it and pump the brakes with bleeder open Cheap and can be made with a jar with two holes and vinyl hose.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/26/13 01:36 AM

Quote:

any ideas????

Yeah, bleed em the right way...

Try depressing the pedal about an inch and hold it there with a stick. May do the trick.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: 2nd time bleeding brakes?? - 03/26/13 04:25 AM

Quote:

I took rear wheel off just to get a better view and see what i was doing. Took bleeder screw all way out, not stopped up. It has been 3 hours, still no fluid. Have you used the one man bleed kit before from parts store? Do they work?

They work fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums