Moparts

frozen throttle shaft

Posted By: kbeeper69

frozen throttle shaft - 03/23/13 04:41 AM

What are some ways to un freeze ?.is it even worth the hassle to even do so?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/23/13 05:04 AM

Try soaking it in carb cleaner or solvent, Evaoporust can also help since it disolves away rust. I use various chemicals and a sonic cleaner and I can get most free, but sometimes they need to be cut out in pieces. If you need yours restored I don't charge extra for such things (even though it can add a ton of work to the job).
Posted By: GMP440

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/23/13 05:08 AM

Use Marvel Mystery Oil. Have Rochester quadrajet with the secondary throttle shaft stuck. Squirted some MMo to the throttle shaft and within a few minutes had the shaft freely moving.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/23/13 02:24 PM

Quote:

Try soaking it in carb cleaner or solvent, Evaoporust can also help since it disolves away rust. I use various chemicals and a sonic cleaner and I can get most free, but sometimes they need to be cut out in pieces. If you need yours restored I don't charge extra for such things (even though it can add a ton of work to the job).

Diesel fuel works too but nothing like a little heat!!
Posted By: patosmith

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/23/13 04:15 PM

I find I can loosen anything with a big enough hammer.
I agree with using Marvel Mystery Oil.
Posted By: runinonmt

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/24/13 02:50 PM

After all of the above except the hammer refused to work I disassembled the carb (an Edelbrock)) and fired up the gas grill on low (about 350 degres). Fifteen minutes later I used ATF on the shaft and it freed up. Gloves are highly recommended.
Ron

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/24/13 03:33 PM

Quote:

After all of the above except the hammer refused to work I disassembled the carb (an Edelbrock)) and fired up the gas grill on low (about 350 degres). Fifteen minutes later I used ATF on the shaft and it freed up. Gloves are highly recommended.
Ron

Didn't I say heat ? !!
Posted By: finn

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/24/13 04:33 PM

I had what I thought was a hopelessly stuck throttle on a Motorcraft carb on my 79 F150 plow truck. About a week of daily application of PB Blaster and it freed up fine.

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/24/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

I had what I thought was a hopelessly stuck throttle on a Motorcraft carb on my 79 F150 plow truck. About a week of daily application of PB Blaster and it freed up fine.

I don't have the patience to wait a week,about 15 min is all I'm good for !!
Posted By: marks69

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/25/13 06:26 AM

Me too. At least your honest.
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: frozen throttle shaft - 03/25/13 06:54 AM

I actually had one FREEZE during winter. Walked out after work to start my Gremlin and I couldn't push the gas pedal!! Thought something might have jammed it. Turned out, it froze! I managed to get it to move a little, set the choke by hand and started the car. I had to sit there and literally let it warm up before I got use of the throttle back!
© 2024 Moparts Forums