Moparts

Roller rockers for my stealth heads???

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/18/13 11:21 PM

What is the best bang for the buck with easy installation(no modifications) that has proven to have the least amount of problems?
It's a 446 9.5:1 with a Comp flat tappet with about 500 lift I got from fast68 Dwayne Porter. I know I will probably have to clearance for 3/8 pushrods if I don't use 5/16 ones.
Thanks mike
Posted By: topside

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 01:04 AM

I shopped around on my latest build, and went with Harland Sharps based on previous good experience. Roller rockers usually hit the stock valve cover oil baffles, but we make a valve cover spacer for that if you want to avoid modifying your baffles.
If you want to run spark plugs with a 13/16" hex, you'll need to grind a bit around the plug locations: mock that up before assembly.
Somewhere - either here or at moparclassifieds.com - someone's selling a set of HS rockers & shafts cheap.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 01:08 AM

I'd find a set of Crane or Isky iron rockers.I'm using the Crane iron rockers on my Stealths and they work great.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 01:54 AM

I have had good luck with Crane and Isky iron rockers. But on my 493 I use Hughes roller rockers and they are holding up and working fine. Ron
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 01:56 AM

Try to stick with a 1.5:1 rocker ratio. It will require less grinding on the Stealth head to clear the 3/8 pushrod.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 02:16 AM

I will say this...do NOT use 440source rockers. every set I have heard of...has ended in "roller tips got munched"
Posted By: ahy

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 03:34 AM

Comp cast alloy steel "pro magnum" for me at .55 lift. They are well made and durable. Good up to about .6 lift as shipped. Agree the iron should be fine also. Properly set up, there's no real need for roller tips at .5 lift.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 04:04 AM

What are the specs on the cam? If it's hydraulic and mild enough you might not even need the adjustable rockers.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 05:04 AM

I liked harland sharp ones, I got from performance only on here and they worked well.

Mike
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 05:26 AM

OP asks for "best bang for buck", and there's two responses naming the most expensive rockers you can buy...... Moparts.

I've been running Pro-Comp Steel bushed roller-tip rockers for a few years now, and they still look and work great on my .575 lift solid. Crane Ductile steel rockers are great bang for buck, but above .500 lift, conventional wisdom says use roller tips. Comp Cams Pro-magnums look like solid value.

I'd stay away from aluminum unless you're spending big money. Seen too many budget aluminum rocker bodies break under marginal pressure.

Posted By: therocks

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 10:54 AM

With .500 lift Id use reg steel adjustables.Unless you are going to a bigger cam rollers would be a waste of $$$$$.I run an old set or Erson irons on my 440 with a .588 lift cam.3/8 alloy Crane pushrods.They just clear on my Stealths.Id say 5/16s should be good on that setup.Rocky
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 02:55 PM

Dan at Performance Only recommended and is installing Proform #66868 on my .30 over 440 with 440 Source Stealth Heads. +/- .50 lift 500Hp Build.
Show car not race. Hope this helps. BBD

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 04:55 PM

Thanks for the reply's
The cam is a SOLID Comp.(part # 21-0005) 502 intake 511 exhaust with 236 intake and 242 exhaust @.050 lobe separation 112.0 that I got from Dwayne Porter. This is a 30 over 440 9.5:1.Hoping for about 500 hp motor going in my 68 Charger street only car with 323 gears and a 727.Will the 5/16 pushrods be ok in this build or will I probably have to clearance the intake holes even with them?
I want something that you guy's have had good luck with and are not too expensive.I hope to not have to machine the head for them to fit. Sounds like the steel ones would be good for me but I do want a roller tip!
I had the cam Nitrided and have the solid lifters with the hole in them!
Thanks mIke
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/19/13 07:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply's
The cam is a SOLID Comp.(part # 21-0005) 502 intake 511 exhaust with 236 intake and 242 exhaust @.050 lobe separation 112.0 that I got from Dwayne Porter. This is a 30 over 440 9.5:1.Hoping for about 500 hp motor going in my 68 Charger street only car with 323 gears and a 727.Will the 5/16 pushrods be ok in this build or will I probably have to clearance the intake holes even with them?
I want something that you guy's have had good luck with and are not too expensive.I hope to not have to machine the head for them to fit. Sounds like the steel ones would be good for me but I do want a roller tip!
I had the cam Nitrided and have the solid lifters with the hole in them!
Thanks mIke

Rockers are not a place to skimp , more than one person , even though some will not admit it publicly , has had a CCJ rocker FAIL and grenade their engine .

If Dan is recommending the proforms then they must be a decent rocker , even though they are CCJ . Or the buyer is insisting on buying CCJ rockers against Dan's recommendations and this is one he is comfortable with.

There is not real hp advantage switching to a roller tip , but a set of Crane ductiles isn't really and inexpensive alternative anymore. What rocker did Dwayne recommend ?
Posted By: topside

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 12:14 AM

Before anyone else climbs all over me about mentioning the HS rockers, I stated in my reply that there's a set available cheap.

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 03:45 AM

Quote:

Before anyone else climbs all over me about mentioning the HS rockers, I stated in my reply that there's a set available cheap.

I don't see any reason why you need to justify your reply to his question .
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 04:27 AM

Since you mentioned bang for the buck right up front, I'd go with Hughes rockers. I have sold, and sell, a ton of Harland Sharps, and most people on here know I am a big proponent of them. They are hi quaility almost indestrucible rockers in their intended applications. That being said, they arent the cheapest option. They also really need to be ordered the same as the Edelbrocks. The rocker tip/valve centerline really isnt correct in the standard sets. I worked with H/S to come up with a proper fitting set for Edelbrocks and Stealths,but yes, at a higher cost. Since budget is a concern, then the Hughes in my opinion is the best bang for the buck. Comps are almost $700 now, so no deal there.Crane has priced themsleves out of the market as well. Used to be a good bargain, and since S&S, they have become too much for what you get.

I have tried the Hughes rockers for a more budget friendly,quality piece, and I actually liked them enough to go ahead and become a dealer for them based on my experience with them. So, long story short, I think they would fit you well.As far as Proforms, I would guess that was a budgetary decision between Dan and his customer and baseed that on the build and expected useage.They are not in the same league as these others mentioned.

Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 05:53 AM

Quote:

There is not real hp advantage switching to a roller tip , but a set of Crane ductiles isn't really and inexpensive alternative anymore.

No, they're not much less expensive than a set of Crane Golds. I bought a brand new un-used set of Erson ductile irons on here (same as Crane and Isky) for 200 bucks. Otherwise I would have probably gone with Crane Golds. I don't have much experience with them, but I know many people/engines that have run them with success and they've been around for years.

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 06:08 AM

I've got a set of crane gold rollers for mine, however I only bought them because I got a great deal on them. I think even the crane ductile rockers list for around 350 bucks at summit.

With your relatively low lift cam, stick with the ductile rockers. You have no use for roller tips at .511 lift. A hydraulic cam of similar specs would have been able to run stock style non-adjustable rockers.

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 07:37 PM

How about these???
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/b15alrowibih.html
Mike
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 09:03 PM

'Source super stealths require offset rockers on the intake side I believe. Can you use any brand or are you locked into using Sources' house brand?

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 09:24 PM

Quote:

'Source super stealths require offset rockers on the intake side I believe. Can you use any brand or are you locked into using Sources' house brand?

Where do you see SUPER stealth ?

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 09:53 PM

Quote:

Double R I am hijacking the thread. You got a problem with that

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 09:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Double R I am hijacking the thread. You got a problem with that

Posted By: CSK

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 10:41 PM

Quote:

any brand .650 offset intake

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 11:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks bro, Been debating whether to step up to them as a bare set is only $200 more than a set of the regular (bare) stealths & I already have a new set of 2.14/1.81 valves

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/20/13 11:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks bro, Been debating whether to step up to them as a bare set is only $200 more than a set of the regular (bare) stealths & I already have a new set of 2.14/1.81 valves

I thought source didn't sell their regular stealth heads "bare" anymore, just the super stealths were available bare?

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/21/13 01:32 AM

$399 ea bare for the regular stealths & $499 ea bare for the super stealths
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/21/13 04:42 PM

RR, the only reason you want bare heads is so you can use those 3/8" stem valves you have lying around. Time to move on! 5/16 or 8mm stems have much less mass and don't block the airflow as much.

R.

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/21/13 04:48 PM

Quote:

RR, the only reason you want bare heads is so you can use those 3/8" stem valves you have lying around. correct. Time to move on! cant, budget constraints. 5/16 or 8mm stems have much less mass and don't block the airflow as much. I agree but on this street app I'll be fine .

Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/21/13 05:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

RR, the only reason you want bare heads is so you can use those 3/8" stem valves you have lying around. correct. Time to move on! cant, budget constraints. 5/16 or 8mm stems have much less mass and don't block the airflow as much. I agree but on this street app I'll be fine .

You'll have more in machining costs to open the guides & install larger ID bronze guides than if you'd bought complete heads...

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/21/13 05:09 PM

My plan was to have my buddy open the guides & he's pretty reasonable (I'm seeing his sister) but do I have to use bronze guides or do they already come with bronze guides or ???
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/21/13 05:15 PM

It may have enough material to be opened up, we're only talking .032 but if the guide winds up to thin you'll be doing guides...

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/21/13 05:28 PM

Alright I'll at least give 'Source a call & see if they have a problem with me opening em up. thank you for the addit'l info guys & I'll do what I need to do to get em right
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/22/13 12:27 AM

There shouldn't be any problem opening the Stealth or S/Stealth guides for 3/8 valves as the guide outside diameter is over .540".

Re: Roller rockers for my stealth heads??? - 03/22/13 02:07 AM

Quote:

There shouldn't be any problem opening the Stealth or S/Stealth guides for 3/8 valves as the guide outside diameter is over .540".

That's good to hear
© 2024 Moparts Forums