Moparts

727 accumulator spring. needed or not?

Posted By: RapidRobert

727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 12:08 AM

Street high performance. Installing an already modified VB into an already built 727 for a customer & noticed there was no spring on top of the accumulator piston so I stopped right there. Piston seemed quite aways down in the bore but I'm assuming that is normal. Thank you for your time
Posted By: 383man

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 01:23 AM

For street/strip cars I leave the spring out and use a blocker rod to keep the piston from moving. It will give a much firmer shift. Ron
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 01:39 AM

Doesn't make any difference on the spring being out. I never used a blocker rod.. until recently when I rebuilt the 518 for my truck.
Don't see any difference still

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 02:07 AM

Alright I'll button it up & get it out the door with no spring/blocker rod & collect my money. Thanks guys

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Doesn't make any difference on the spring being out. I never used a blocker rod.. until recently when I rebuilt the 518 for my truck.
Don't see any difference still

If you use a blocker rod with the spring in then it does not matter with the spring but if you leave the spring in without the blocker rod then its the stock setup. That will do what it is supposed to do and cushion the shift. Much firmer shift without the spring. Ron

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 06:05 PM

It didn't come with a spring when it was dropped off to me & no blocker rod either so unless someone persuades me ASAP to make a blocker rod or add the spring (I have a parts 904 belly up & it's spring looks like a good fit) I'll go ahead & install the VB/pan this afternoon & send er out the door.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 06:15 PM

Quote:

It didn't come with a spring when it was dropped off to me & no blocker rod either so unless someone persuades me ASAP to make a blocker rod or add the spring (I have a parts 904 belly up & it's spring looks like a good fit) I'll go ahead & install the VB/pan this afternoon & send er out the door.

Put in the spring , the main purpose is to dampen the trans when it's put into 1st or drive , firmer shifts are a placibo effect from the shift kit ...

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 06:34 PM

Alright, if the spring will benefit it from dampening when put in drive & ain't going to adversely affect the quality of the shift from the added shift kit I will go ahead & install the spring as this guy does want a firm/crisp shift
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

Much firmer shift without the spring. Ron

Oldest myth in the Mopar world....the spring has no affect on any upshifts.

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 09:28 PM

John I am heading outside to the garage. Should I USE or NOT USE the spring

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 09:33 PM

Quote:

John I am heading outside to the garage. Should I USE or NOT USE the spring

it's YOUR choice .

I have switched from no spring and blocker to putting in the spring after seeing John post about it more times than he cares to remember.

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Much firmer shift without the spring. Ron

Oldest myth in the Mopar world....the spring has no affect on any upshifts.

I disagee. I have taken and blocked the accumulator piston from moving with manual valve bodies and get a much harder 1-2 shift. It only has three ports to the accumulator as I know you know that but with line pressure on the bottom and front band apply pressure on the spring side it will cushion the 1-2 shift. Even my Mopar training books tell how it cushions the 1-2 shift so without the spring and a blocker rod the accumulator cant move when front band apply pressure is put on it like it will with the spring and band apply press. I know the stock valve body also has the 1-2 shift control press thats actually metered throttle press to the third middle port but I am telling you they all shift harder for me with the psiton blocked and the spring out. I even had a stock 4 cyl Caravn that a came into the shop with the complaint of a harsh 1-2 shift and I found out the first ownwer had removed the accumulator spring. Once I reinstalled one it has a much smoother 1-2 shift. I do agree that just removing the spring wont make a big difference as you have to use a blocker rod to keep the piston from moving. Ron

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Put in the spring , the main purpose is to dampen the trans when it's put into 1st or drive , firmer shifts are a placibo effect from the shift kit ...

Thats not the only or main thing it does. Its funny how when ever I read about them they always talk about how it cushions the 1-2 shift before they tell you how the piston buttons the spring side when line press is applied to the bottom when put in gear and applies the rear clutch. Ron

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 11:37 PM

Quote:

I disagee. I have taken and blocked the accumulator piston from moving with manual valve bodies and get a much harder 1-2 shift.

Blocking the accumulator piston and merely removing the spring are two entirely different things. My comment was in reply to your comment "Much firmer shift without the spring"...you failed to mention the addition of the blocker rod in that statement.

The myth is that simply removing the spring will firm the shift...not so.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/18/13 11:42 PM

So what does the spring do? I would think if you don't have the blocker rod, you should run the spring, but . . .? ? ?
Posted By: BSB67

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 12:17 AM

Am I the only one that feels that it is a little odd that the OP is working on a customer's transmission, and he is on here asking about the accumulator spring?

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 12:20 AM

It is out the door with no spring/no rod. The customer purchased this built up 727 & a seperate shift kitted VB & I am being paid to install the VB/filter/pan gasket/pan however when I took the pan off to do this 15 minute job I noticed there was no spring in the accumulator so I figured I'd better check in with the pros before I made another move. Thank you all for the interest/info/discussion. Later on I will be doing the 440/727 install for him so if he has a problem with the trans' manners I will deal with it at that point in time.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 12:24 AM

That was a low shot!
This forum is all about asking questions no matter how much experience one has. He was not 100% sure so he asked the question. That is smart in my book.

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 12:52 AM

Quote:

Am I the only one that feels that it is a little odd that the OP is working on a customer's transmission, and he is on here asking about the accumulator spring?

Yeah you're the only one. I'm thinking that the unknown builder who put this together left the spring out for a reason otherwise it would have been in there but he may not have the expertise that we collectively have here so I figured it was definitely worth an interuption to find out & at the moment I have a 904 belly up & the spring looked like a good fit & I could have cut a blocker from something & iirc PVC pipe was mentioned once all at additional cost to the customer of course

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 01:43 AM

Quote:

That was a low shot!
This forum is all about asking questions no matter how much experience one has. He was not 100% sure so he asked the question. That is smart in my book.

I think you're missing the point. I have no problem with amateurs asking amateurs and/or professionals questions when someone is working on their stuff or a friends stuff, but he is being paid.

So you pay an electrician to wire a switch in your house, and you must think it is okay that he asks you, or goes on-line to ask non-professionals how to do it.

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 01:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I disagee. I have taken and blocked the accumulator piston from moving with manual valve bodies and get a much harder 1-2 shift.

Blocking the accumulator piston and merely removing the spring are two entirely different things. My comment was in reply to your comment "Much firmer shift without the spring"...you failed to mention the addition of the blocker rod in that statement.

The myth is that simply removing the spring will firm the shift...not so.

That would be my fault. I guess since I only remove the spring when I but a blocker rod in as I thought you knew what I meant but that would be my mistake. Sorry about that. Ron
Posted By: d-150

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 01:54 AM

i put a cheeter valvebody in one time and instructions said to remove acc. spring.did not say to run blocker

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 02:12 AM

Quote:

I think you're missing the point. I have no problem with amateurs asking amateurs and/or professionals questions when someone is working on their stuff or a friends stuff, but he is being paid.

Here's my point, We're on here solely to offer opinions to solve an OP's issue at hand. Your first post offered nothing toward that end & only complained how I was handling this job & you asked if you were "the only one" & yes you were "the only one" who had nothing constructive to offer but wanted to complain about my MO on this job. Sorry you're having a bad day but dont take it out on us & definitely dont take it out on me & if you read thru all of my posts on this thread I believe I am doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing correctly in regard to this project (& yes it is a friend). The answer to your bad day lies within not outward .

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 02:46 AM

Actually having a pretty good day.
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 05:11 AM

No spring and install a 1/2 x 3" blocker rod made out of round stock or cut off a 1/2" shouldered bolt. This WILL shift the hardest on the 1-2 shift.
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Am I the only one that feels that it is a little odd that the OP is working on a customer's transmission, and he is on here asking about the accumulator spring? [

i thought that also,but hey its not my car

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 06:31 PM

With all the different opinions here keep in mind that..
one.. it doesn't hurt the tranny being left out.

two.. shifting harder maybe, maybe not but doesn't do a darn thing for et or otherwise.

three.. you don't have to mess with fabbing a blocker rod.

four.. it's moparts

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 06:32 PM

Quote:

four.. it's moparts

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 06:36 PM

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 07:02 PM

Quote:

Maybe, maybe not. It's not unusual to have a rear clutch Belleville spring fail immediately after removing the spring, especially if the line pressure is raised...members of this forum have had it happen. The sole purpose of the outer accumulator spring is to cushion the application of the rear clutch when the trans is initially placed in a forward gear. When the clutch applies abruptly the Belleville can break and/or allow the clutch piston to pop out of its bore.

The factory mitigated this problem in '74 by the introduction of a more robust Belleville.

Quote:

two.. shifting harder maybe, maybe not but doesn't do a darn thing for et or otherwise.

No maybe about, it's a provable fact that removing the spring will not firm the shift.

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 09:01 PM

Now I can hardly wait to find out how the trans is going to act when I get it all swapped/running. After this thread the next one IS going to have a spring
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 09:08 PM

People are really questioning JK on this?

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 09:18 PM

Quote:

People are really questioning JK on this?

JK is the man
Posted By: Bumbalawski

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 09:21 PM

I have been building TF's since 1972. I do not use the accumulator spring in rebuilds, street or otherwise. No Belleville spring failure ever. I do use the later Belleville springs since their introduction. In fact, in all of the TF's I have taken apart over the years, I have only found maybe three broken Belleville springs and those transmissions had the accumulator spring installed. I have built TF's in almost every way that can be imagined except Clutchflites. I am just relating my experience with TF's.

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/19/13 09:30 PM

Quote:

I do not use the accumulator spring in rebuilds, street or otherwise.

With it's deletion do you use a blocker rod?
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/20/13 05:50 AM

TCI uses no spring in the accumulator or the small sealing ring, Turbo Action usea no spring and a blocker rod, B&M uses no spring and a blocker rod, Griner use no spring and a blocker rod. So personal preference? Not just ramblin here...I build my own stuff and they shift the hardest w/o the spring and the rod! I have been racing torqueflites for 35 years. best 8.80 151 1.15 60 ft 68 Barracuda with stge IV DC heads and a Griner tbrake, I use a blocker and no spring and have never had a failure!

Attached picture 7632959-pomona.jpg

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/20/13 05:56 AM

I'll report back on how this one acts (no spring/no blocker). Might be several months. I appreciate all the info guys
Posted By: Bumbalawski

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/20/13 04:17 PM

Quote:

With it's deletion do you use a blocker rod?

Street use, I usually do not put the rod in. Racing use, I install the rod. Actually I notice very little difference with the rod in or out. In my friends 65 Plymouth, his tranny has the rod (I built the tranny for the car). No problems at all. Best is 7.82@172. It has A&A internals.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/20/13 07:52 PM

Quote:

three.. you don't have to mess with fabbing a blocker rod.

four.. it's moparts

FIVE ...it is WINTER TIME and knee-deep in snow for many

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/20/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

I have been building TF's since 1972. I do not use the accumulator spring in rebuilds, street or otherwise. No Belleville spring failure ever.

I've been building them since '68 and didn't use the spring for most of the time because "everybody said to leave it out". When I discovered its actual purpose I've used them ever since.

Anecdotal experience with Bellevilles differs, I've seen my fair share of broken ones and had lots of experiences where the piston popped out of its bore without breakage.

Attached picture 7633556-BustedBellevilles.jpg

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/20/13 09:26 PM

John , does the 74 up belleville use a different piston ?

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/20/13 10:53 PM

Yep, the piston is thicker....early is about .780" and the late is about .830.

Re: 727 accumulator spring. needed or not? - 03/20/13 11:51 PM

Quote:

Yep, the piston is thicker....early is about .780" and the late is about .830.

I was pretty sure it was different but didn't know how , Thanks .
© 2024 Moparts Forums