Moparts

J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy

Posted By: A12

J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 12:05 AM

Normally I use J-B Weld epoxy but some older guys swear there is a "Marine Epoxy" that is way stronger and better than any other epoxy. I've used Devcon, Permatex, etc., and see there are a number of marine brand epoxies available just don't know which one they are talking about? They say it's much stronger than any J-B procuct even the J-B Marine Weld.

Would anyone happened to know what Marine Epoxy is the strongest available........trying to fix a magnesium cover that has a water pump in it. TIA.
Posted By: ahy

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 12:36 AM

If you are really concerned about strength, how about welding? A good weld shop can weld magnesium.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 12:48 AM

Devcon is a very good epoxy. Z-spar and splashzone are the ones you are thinking of. Both are the same epoxy.

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 12:51 AM

I've heard that the epoxy that Goodson sell is z-spar in a smaller amount.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...56#.UUZWwFfS9_M
Posted By: bonefish

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 12:57 AM

ive always used MARINE-TEX.i patched a crack on the inside of my float bowl on my 57 harley and it worked for 5 years till i sold it.

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 01:00 AM

http://www.goodson.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
Posted By: MAVERICKSHEMI

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 01:14 AM

The epoxy that DOT uses to glue the reflectors into the road surface is some very strong stuff. I had some, never failed....
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 01:57 AM

Quote:

ive always used MARINE-TEX.i patched a crack on the inside of my float bowl on my 57 harley and it worked for 5 years till i sold it.

I was going to say Marine-Tex also. I used it to seal a leaking sending unit on my '69 Dart. Never leaked again after that.
Posted By: notforsale440

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 02:41 AM

Quote:

ding ding ding......we have a winner......marine-tex, "the mighty repair kit"......its expensive, but........ I use it over welded patches, under body filler; great for fiberglass repairs, too; among several other uses.......and its waterproof

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 07:04 AM

Quote:

Yep as also stated after your post I think that's the stuff that all the hot rod and "old guy" talk about as being "THE stuff". I'll see if I can find it here locally......live near Lake Erie so lots of boat supply places

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 07:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ding ding ding......we have a winner......marine-tex, "the mighty repair kit"......its expensive, but........ I use it over welded patches, under body filler; great for fiberglass repairs, too; among several other uses.......and its waterproof

Yep that sounds like the stuff, see my post before this

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 07:10 AM

Quote:

http://www.goodson.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

John thanks for the link. I've purchased a lot of things for our (motorcycle) race shop(s) from Goodson and have an account with them and have been looking (elsewhere) for the porting epoxy, thanks again for that reminder/link

http://www.goodson.com/Port-Reshaping_Kit/

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 07:15 AM

Quote:

If you are really concerned about strength, how about welding? A good weld shop can weld magnesium.

Andrew, I thought about that but I'd have to do a lot of machining and grinding as it is a magnesium motorcycle clutch cover and water pump with a waterpump seal. It's just eroded and the pits just need filled and smoothed out. I'm afraid the cover will warp at the engine seal/gasket and the water pump cover and possibly where the crankshaft/water pump seal is. Thanks though for the suggestion.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I used it to seal a gas tank, good stuff.
Posted By: deaks

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 10:02 PM

I remember back in 77, i had a crankcase issue on a KTM 400. Tried to get it welded but the weld wouldn't take. I Managed to pick another one up in the end. As i recall, it had a lot of impurities in the magnesium.
Mick

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 11:29 PM

Quote:

I remember back in 77, i had a crankcase issue on a KTM 400. Tried to get it welded but the weld wouldn't take. I Managed to pick another one up in the end. As i recall, it had a lot of impurities in the magnesium.
Mick

Doing an '84 KTM 250 MX water cooled bike right now..and want to use the best epoxy out there, heard of the "marine" epoxy being the stuff to use. Hope to do some vintage racing this summer

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/18/13 11:41 PM

Quote:

Mick

Those bikes were so light back then with magnesium engine cases, mag clutch cover, aluminum head and cylinder and then the Mahle Nicasil plating and no cast iron liner........

I think I'm headed to the auto parts to get the standard J-B Weld and the J-B Marine and do a comparison by epoxying two parts to each other with each type of epoxy and see which holds and which one breaks loose
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: J-B Weld or J-B Marine Weld or other brand Marine epoxy - 03/19/13 04:24 AM

Hi Temp Lab Metal

http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=2

Be advised product needs to final cure at 425* for 1 hr
© 2024 Moparts Forums