Moparts

Crushed Glass for Blasting???

Posted By: 440charger70

Crushed Glass for Blasting??? - 11/27/08 12:37 AM

Is crushed glass (dust) safe and efficient to use for blasting panels? I am wanting to strip the the body on my Charger down to bare metal. I know that sand blasting is too rough for the metal and have looked into Soda blasting and chemical too, just looking into glass dust.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Crushed Glass for Blasting??? - 11/27/08 01:11 AM

There was a thread a day ago about blast cabinet selection that had some good info on media selection(best & dangerous) that might be of benefit to you.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Crushed Glass for Blasting??? - 11/27/08 04:44 AM

Glass beading / crushed glass, cost more, will generate more heat, and you may end up warping your panels if your not careful,......What I prefer to do is use "medium cut" Black beauty,....blast the panel on an angle, don't concentrate too long, move along allow any heat to disapait, then go back and hit any area you feel needs to be addressed,.....Black Beauty leaves a slightly rough texture to he metal, but I feel it helps promote a good adhesion for a coat of vari-prime, or epoxy coat rust prevenitive base, which you should do immediately after blasting/blowing the car down

Attached picture 4841591-0000a.jpg
Posted By: 84Stepside

Re: Crushed Glass for Blasting??? - 11/27/08 05:52 AM

i had my truck box done with crushed glass(not glass beads) and it turned out really nice
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Crushed Glass for Blasting??? - 11/27/08 01:08 PM

Use urea plastic media for the outside body panels, 20/40 coal slage for the inner panels.
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Crushed Glass for Blasting??? - 11/27/08 03:53 PM

Plastic blasting is the safest method.

Look for a repuatable shop as you can do more harm than good if the operator is inexperienced.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Crushed Glass for Blasting??? - 11/27/08 05:07 PM

Quote:

blast the panel on an angle, don't concentrate too long, move along allow any heat to disapait, then go back and hit any area you feel needs to be addressed

© 2024 Moparts Forums