Moparts

TF-2 Question

Posted By: mopowers

TF-2 Question - 03/15/13 04:21 PM

Does the TF-2 shift kit do away with the throttle pressure (kickdown) linkage?
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/15/13 04:42 PM

No, not on mine anyway.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/15/13 04:43 PM

You have to go to a full manual valve body to do away with the kickdown.

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/15/13 05:39 PM

Thanks guys.

One last question...

Did any of you with this shift kit opt for the "race" setting on your street cars? Or is that a bad idea?
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/15/13 08:24 PM

Even the TF-3 manual level reprogramming uses the throttle pressure, as far as I know.

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/15/13 09:58 PM

Have any of you used the "race" setting in your street cars? Or is that a bad idea?
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/16/13 04:02 AM

Quote:

Have any of you used the "race" setting in your street cars? Or is that a bad idea?

i have for a few years on the street. 904transmission behind a 340 havent seen any problems yet.
Posted By: loaderpro

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/17/13 06:24 AM

Yes...It is ok to set it up for full race on the street! They will shift the best here and the trans will last longer because you will remove any of the overlap in the gear changes. Just be sure to use a quality cooler and use type F oil, It has a better coefficiant of fricton!

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/17/13 07:45 PM

How much more modification is required to use the 'race' set-up vs the 'street' set-up. My car will be a street car, so I don't want to set it up using the race setting if it'll ruin the street manners of the car. But then again, I have a big tolerance for "street manners."

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/19/13 05:33 AM

If your installing a kit, just follow the instructions for the "Race Setup" If your kit does not have that option you will need to upgrade to one that does.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/19/13 05:31 PM

Race set up is very streetable. It just makes the shifts firm and crisp.
Posted By: 65signet

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/19/13 09:42 PM

Go with the TF-3 and just elim all the kick down linkage, i run a reverse manual valve body on the street no problems

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/20/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

Go with the TF-3 and just elim all the kick down linkage, i run a reverse manual valve body on the street no problems

I hadn't even thought of that. It's only going to be a 375-400hp-ish streeter. Isn't the tf-3 a little over the top? Are those kits even recommended for street cars?
Posted By: d-150

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/20/13 02:35 AM

the tf3 you have to manually shift reverse valvebody,but i would not go any other way. power to the ground
Posted By: 65signet

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/20/13 03:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hadn't even thought of that. It's only going to be a 375-400hp-ish streeter. Isn't the tf-3 a little over the top? Are those kits even recommended for street cars?

If your going to race the car I would go with turbo action reverse man vavle body and they work just fine on street too. And TF 3 is not to much for street you just have shift
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/20/13 06:41 AM

The TF-3 is a manual, but does not eliminate the kickdown linkage. all levels of the transgo kit retain the throttle pressure linkage. It's fine for the street.

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/20/13 02:46 PM

I guess that leads me to the following question:

Having never used either the TF-2 or TF-3 kits, for those who HAVE, which one do you folks prefer on a mid-high 12 sec street car???
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/20/13 08:43 PM

Quote:

The TF-3 is a manual, but does not eliminate the kickdown linkage.

The TF-3 can be setup two ways, with or without the TP linkage.

The choice between the TF-2 and TF-3 is strictly up to the driver....either you want to manually shift each gear or you don't.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/20/13 09:29 PM

Quote:

The choice between the TF-2 and TF-3 is strictly up to the driver....either you want to manually shift each gear or you don't.

[sarcasm]Don't be silly, it's always better to ask what everybody else thinks I should do with my car . [/sarcasm]
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/20/13 09:33 PM

Quote:

They will shift the best here and the trans will last longer because you will remove any of the overlap in the gear changes.

That is next to impossible, the 727 by design has overlap. The direct clutch applies while the band is releasing, if the band were to release first then the direct clutch applied you would see an RPM FLARE.
Posted By: High Impact

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/21/13 01:38 AM

I just installed a TF2 kit this last weekend. This was my second one i have installed, last time i cranked the line pressure six turns instead on the four they recommend and mine shifted super firm, its the best tranny kit I've ever installed.

So my vote is the TF2.
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/21/13 02:15 AM

Only difference between TF2 and TF3 is that TF2 still allows the tranny to auto shift. TF3 turns the tranny into full manual, but still retains the kick down linkage to regulate throttle pressure. Stomping the pedal with a TF3 will not "kick down", but in a TF2 it will...if properly adjusted. I have a TF3 in my Demon's 727 and it shifts VERY firm 1-2 and 2-3. Almost too firm 1-2 because under WOT she gets VERY squirrely kicking into 2nd.

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/21/13 03:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They will shift the best here and the trans will last longer because you will remove any of the overlap in the gear changes.

That is next to impossible, the 727 by design has overlap. The direct clutch applies while the band is releasing, if the band were to release first then the direct clutch applied you would see an RPM FLARE.

There plenty of things that can be done that eliminate ANY overlap in a torqueflte.

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/21/13 06:20 PM

Some overlap on the 2-3 shift is crucial to the operation of the TF; like John stated, without a slight amount of overlap there would be rpm flareup.

This is why the TF is inherently inferior to transmissions (like the TH400) that have no release/apply operation.

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/24/13 08:38 AM

So your talking more about the street strip version? The Griner style transbrakes eliminate ANY overlap that is associated with the torqueflite!

Re: TF-2 Question - 03/24/13 08:20 PM

OK, let's look at the physics; the valve body has no way of knowing the band lever ratio, the band adjustment, the front clutch clearance, the front clutch spring pack, etc. all of which contribute to the 2-3 shift overlap or lack of.

To say any VB will eliminate ALL overlap is good advertising but not very realistic, more likely is the claim to eliminate excessive overlap.
© 2024 Moparts Forums