Moparts

Original paint ?

Posted By: b5a12bee

Original paint ? - 03/08/13 03:16 AM

How do you tell if a car still has it's original paint. I know there be some orange peel and not as slick as today's paint, but how do you tell if is an older repaint? Thanks
Posted By: WyleECoyote

Re: Original paint ? - 03/08/13 05:21 AM

Look. Exam. Inspect. Study. Every inch. Up under weatherstripping. In door, trunk and hood jams. Along moulding. In wheel-wells and undercarriage. Trim. Glass. Study it all. Find the flaws. Photograph in sun to find mismatch colors and study photographs. Behind bumpers. Look for primer. Analyze every component you can to see if there are paint lines, or evidence of repaint. If you take your time - its hard to miss unless the repaint is done professionally, and redone as a concourse resto.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Original paint ? - 03/08/13 12:22 PM

Its pretty easy to tell without much effort once you figure it out. I can usually tell in seconds. Even a car that was completely professionally repainted in the first month and weathers for 4 decades never quite looks the same. I doubt these modern 100% rotisserrie jobs will look quite the same as say my car (original 1970 paint) in 2040... Can you even get that exact paint anymore? not the color, but the actual paint? I'm sure some enviro-nut somewhere has decided it was too evil to use...
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Original paint ? - 03/08/13 01:47 PM

If the paint looks perfect with no flaws in any of the seams it is not original. I saw one original paint duster with a hair in the paint (on driver fender) and seen many original paint cars where it looks like they only used a grinder on the lead roof/quarter panel seams. The lower rocker seams are also finished terribly.

Chrysler paint had a good bit of lead in it so I doubt you can buy the exact paint mix today due to the EPA.

Of all the car companies I dont think any had more durable paint than Chrysler. (I believe GM use laquer in the muscle car years and did not hold up well over time)
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Original paint ? - 03/09/13 04:24 PM

Ive had a few original paint cars. Both had runs, sags and spot with little coverage.
Posted By: Michael

Re: Original paint ? - 03/12/13 02:40 AM

Quote:

Ive had a few original paint cars. Both had runs, sags and spot with little coverage.

Yeah---Tell me about it---A good example below
Posted By: jim

Re: Original paint ? - 03/12/13 03:06 AM

Michael, what color is that?
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Original paint ? - 03/12/13 01:11 PM

Heres a under hood shot of my 73 Duster, Original paint. The passenger side has very little paint on the fire and bottom of the hood.

Attached picture 7622897-22.JPG
Posted By: Michael

Re: Original paint ? - 03/13/13 01:28 AM

Quote:

Michael, what color is that?

Beige
© 2024 Moparts Forums