Moparts

frame connectors on hemi car ?

Posted By: johnzgarage

frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/03/13 11:43 PM

Im building a 65 belv. a990 super stock clone. It will just be street driven. Should I put frame connectors on it ? or not ?
Posted By: astjp2

Re: frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/04/13 12:16 AM

Yes, and torque boxes and shock tower supports and core support brace. Tim
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/04/13 02:22 AM

Yes.

Stan
Posted By: topside

Re: frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/04/13 02:33 AM

Unless you want it to be completely accurate, it's a good idea to stiffen the structure. The '68-'70 bodies will flex and crack at a couple of areas, and from what I can tell the earlier cars aren't any stronger. If you never hammer it, it's probably not a concern, but...
Posted By: johnzgarage

Re: frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/04/13 02:55 AM

O.k. so has anyone seen damage or stressed body panels on a street only car ??? Really ???
Posted By: astjp2

Re: frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/04/13 02:58 AM

Just dont open a door with one corner on a jack, it will also help the suspension work and eliminate body flex with the extra weight of the Hemi.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/04/13 03:01 AM

Quote:

O.k. so has anyone seen damage or stressed body panels on a street only car ??? Really ???

Yes... Cracks in the drivers quarter panel at the top by the door jamb.. I've fixed the cracks on three cars.. All were beaten hard in their early days... Never seen those cracks on cars that weren't used hard....
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/04/13 03:40 AM

It a clone, don't worry about it being 100% correct. Do it right the first time so you can bang on it later if you want.
Posted By: topside

Re: frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/04/13 06:15 AM

Yes, on '68-'70 bodies I've seen cracks at the quarter panel door jamb area, the cowl, and once at the rear shock crossmember.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: frame connectors on hemi car ? - 03/04/13 09:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes... Cracks in the drivers quarter panel at the top by the door jamb.. I've fixed the cracks on three cars.. All were beaten hard in their early days... Never seen those cracks on cars that weren't used hard....

I've seen quite a few A-bodies with cracks on the frame rail between near the upper control arm bushings supports. My 68 Conv Dart, Barracuda, and a good number of junkyard A-bodies with cracks there.

A-bodies also will seperate spot welds between the thick shock tower support and the inner fender.

My Barracuda is seperating between the firewall and floorpan spot welds. But my 71 Challenger had the same thing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums