Moparts

AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good?

Posted By: 440mopar

AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/21/13 08:54 PM

I've been thinking about getting a fiberglass GTS type bulge hood for my 68 Dart from AAR. I would like to know if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with these hoods as far as fitment and overall quality before I invest in one. Thanks.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/21/13 09:02 PM

Bought a bolt-on 6-pack hood from them years ago. IMO, best available.
Posted By: dOc …

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/21/13 11:30 PM

Fit and quality ... better than most ... but their stuff is heavy and Xpensive.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/21/13 11:35 PM

I've looked at their hoods at Carlisle and was very impressed.
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/21/13 11:49 PM

Quote:

Any less expensive options? I have a '72 Demon that I am thinking about putting a 'glass hood on...
Posted By: 440mopar

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/22/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

but their stuff is heavy and Xpensive

Speaking of weight, how does a fiberglass hood compare in weight to a factory steel hood?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/22/13 12:14 AM

Quote:

I've been thinking about getting a fiberglass GTS type bulge hood for my 68 Dart from AAR. I would like to know if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with these hoods as far as fitment and overall quality before I invest in one. Thanks.

Keep in mind that AAR fiberglass hoods were of very good quality/fit/finish...BUT, they have recently been purchased by Stinger Fiberglass, and are now combined as www.americansportscar.com

Stinger makes decent glass, but not top rate like AAR did, I have no idea how their new/current product line has been affected by Stinger's acquisition....
Posted By: 360cuda

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/22/13 12:37 AM

I bought one of their Challenger, dual scoop, look a like glass hood for a 92 Dakota that I used to own. It was a very nice part. Not light weight. The best I remember it was about $500.00
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/22/13 02:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Any less expensive options? I have a '72 Demon that I am thinking about putting a 'glass hood on...

Hmmmm....I have a glass pin-on style SIX PAK hood up for sale locally on C.L. for a decent price...and I live in Michigan.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/22/13 04:30 AM

Quote:

Speaking of weight, how does a fiberglass hood compare in weight to a factory steel hood?

Significantly lighter than the stock steel hood - even with the inner structure they bond to it (speaking of AAR). Perhaps you can find cheaper but you'll have a lot more finish work and it'll still be flimsy. Bear in mind that no matter who you get it from the truck shipping won't be cheap.
Posted By: dOc …

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/22/13 04:41 AM

The stuff I have seen ...NOT MUCH lighter than a steel part. FYI ... it is EZier to make a stronger, stiffer part by throwing resin and fiberglass into-the-mix than using attention-to-detail in the "craftsmanship" of the part.

And TRUCK FREIGHT does not have to be that expensive ...IF the company cares about the customer ......
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/22/13 01:24 PM

I got this 5" twin snorkel scoop from AAR last year. Its a very large scoop. I took it out of the box, scratched it up with some 600 sand paper, painted it and installed it. It did not have one blemish on it anywhere that needed any work. They make your stuff to order and they let you know how things are coming along,good customer service.

Attached picture 7598385-172(Copy).JPG
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/22/13 01:52 PM

Been to their shop in Florida, they are Mopar people and know their stuff! They use the same molds and processes that AAR had and have great customer service.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/22/13 07:30 PM

Quote:

The stuff I have seen ...NOT MUCH lighter than a steel part.

I bought one of their bolt on 6 Pack hoods for my 69 Dart several years ago, the flat steel hood weighted 60.4#, the AAR 6 Pack weighed 29.1#. It's 31.1# lighter than the stock flat hood, IMO thats quiet a bit of weight savings.

I don't know about now but the quality on my hood is very good but the customer service sucked. My hood and bumper were in stock when I called and ordered them and it took over four weeks to get them. Also they failed to mention a $20 charge for something on top of shipping nad crate charges.
Posted By: rck850

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/23/13 01:34 AM

This is one of their first 73+ Duster bolt on six pack hood. My paint and body guy said he wished all parts came to him that easy to paint. Been on the car since September 2003. I just installed the hood pins last spring. I am also looking to buy the GTS Dart hood for my current project. Glad to hear their quality is still top notch.

Attached picture 7599271-001resize.jpg
Posted By: BDW

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/23/13 02:38 AM

Quote:

Been to their shop in Florida, they are Mopar people and know their stuff! They use the same molds and processes that AAR had and have great customer service.

I'm lucky to live near by, Allen painted and installed my T/A hood and it looks great!
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/23/13 03:40 PM

Picked up 2 of the hoods for me and a friend and had them shipped to Canada. They put them in the same box and only charged the rate for shipping for one hood.
Both hoods fit great, one a six pack 70 Duster hood and the other was a flat one for a 67 Dart.
The Dart hood was around 30lbs lighter than the steel one, both are hinged hoods and we used the low tension springs that we ordered form a guy on this site.
Both of us would buy from them again.
Posted By: dvw

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 02/24/13 03:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Significantly lighter than the stock steel hood - even with the inner structure they bond to it (speaking of AAR). Perhaps you can find cheaper but you'll have a lot more finish work and it'll still be flimsy. Bear in mind that no matter who you get it from the truck shipping won't be cheap.

For what it's worth my 64 Belvedere has a AAR hood. Fit and finish was very good. Stock hood 58 lbs, hinges 13lbs. AAR hood 21 pounds( minus scoop) after paint.
Doug

Attached picture 7600831-P23.jpg
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 11/14/14 02:16 AM

Brought this up in a search,,,I have a 6 pack fiberglass hood that is HEAVY compared to my cowl hood. I do not know what company made the hoods as I bought them used. Both are good quality hoods. My question for the people that have installed the bolt on hoods,,,did your hoods have glassed in threaded holes for the bolts to attach the hinges to the hood?? I have never had a bolt on hood, I have always had pin on. I am wondering if the hood I have is possibly a bolt on, as it is heavy and has lots of glassed in bracing but no bolt holes. I was thinking that possibly, the bracing was wood and I could use lag screws. Just sort of wondering, as I have put the car away for the winter and will have to get the hood off to examine it in a few days.
Thanks.
Posted By: draginmopars

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 11/14/14 02:33 AM

we went on a road trip to pick up the hood, both valances and bumpers last oct.
at Stinger/AAR

steel hood 56 lbs
fiberglass (bolt on) 16 lbs

front bumper 30 vs 6 plus 2 lbs for alum brackets

rear bumper 30 vs 16

valance 6 vs 3

good fit and finish

Posted By: BDW

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 11/14/14 03:03 AM

My TA hood has a metal portion with provisions to bolt to hinges
Pic shows how much longer the AAR support is compared to stock to prevent the bowing problem you always see.

Posted By: jcc

Re: AAR fiberglass Dart hoods: Any good? - 11/14/14 02:41 PM

Their quality has been for many years top notch. Their biggest issue was way back when, I suspect they had a relative? in the front office in a position, not based on merit, and unfortunately, that created problems in customer service, etc
© 2024 Moparts Forums