Moparts

Best way to remove rust and paint

Posted By: 340SIX

Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/24/08 11:54 PM

If sand blasting is not an option?
Are those 3-M wheels anygood?
If so do they make them for a 4" or 4.5" grinder as I realy don't want tp use a drill. Any other option?
Posted By: oldman

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/24/08 11:56 PM

DYNAMITE
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 12:12 AM

I've been using the 3M wheels (cookies) and fiber wheels (kind of like wire wheels but made of abrasive). And of coarse 80 grit sand paper on the big areas.
Posted By: Skeez

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 12:13 AM

Paint stripper
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Klean-Str...Q2em118Q2el1247

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 12:14 AM

Quote:

I've been using the 3M wheels (cookies) and fiber wheels (kind of like wire wheels but made of abrasive). And of coarse 80 grit sand paper on the big areas.

I looked at ebay and googled 3-m wheels and all i saw were for drills is that what you are useing?
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 12:35 AM

where is the rust located?

pretty sure there are sand paper flap wheels for grinder.

i have used the 3m pads for die grinder which also work well.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 05:31 AM

Skeez- Can you please post a bigger pic of your avatar? Can't quite make out what it says.. Looks intersting.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 07:22 AM

Wire wheel on a drill works well too.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 10:03 AM

I burnt up a drill using wire wheels to clean up rust on my floor.

i've used the sandpaper flapper wheels on a grinder before too, and they didn't last very long, I wouldn't reccommend them. the stiff sponge wheels work well too, but again, the oens I had were for use in a drill. all the dust I created got into the drill and it didn't live very long
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 01:29 PM

Quote:

If so do they make them for a 4" or 4.5" grinder as I realy don't want tp use a drill. Any other option?

I DA them with 80 grit But I'm not a professional painter and can't spell so what do I know, LOL
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 01:39 PM

Quote:

Depends where the paint is and how deeply penetrated the rust is; also how large of an area... more details please.

Rick
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 01:41 PM

3M bristle discs on a angle die grinder.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en...9beH55CPWS904gl

the little fingers on the disc help keep from building up to much heat.
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 01:45 PM

The best way is to dip it.
Why is blasting out of the question?

Attached picture 4837794-DSC00365.jpg
Posted By: Moonraker

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 04:06 PM

3M also makes an 8" soft pad you can put on a grinder with 40/80/120 grit self adhesives sanding disks. Takes paint and surface rust right off no problems. Way faster than a DA sander and way cleaner more workable surface than wire wheels and things like that. Stripped several cars down to metal and will never use paint stripper again except in door jambs and heavily contoured areas. As with any type of grinding though make sure to work different areas as to not build up to much heat as you can warp the panels. Dipping works great also as stated above but it is expensive as hell, last quote I got was $5000 for a whole car.

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 05:41 PM

Quote:

The best way is to dip it.
Why is blasting out of the question?

Long story:
The car was dipped but the doner part I am using was not. Orginaly I should have not had to use the parts that need cleaned up! But the body shop the car used to be at cut the whole front floor out instead of useing the 3/4 patch pans I gave them.They also ruined the quaters by cutting them off to make the trunk floor easy to install
Went out of biz and gave me that car back {they screwed me out of 5800 bucks and lost lots of parts.Car has sat a long time but now I am going to have time and $$ to at least gather the parts I neeed and do some work.
As far blasting goes I paid 2K for new grass sod and wife looked at me like
BUT as of This morn she gave the go ahead to blast what Ineed to
After Rredi Strip

Posted By: midnite360

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 05:49 PM

Drive really really fast!

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 05:54 PM

After body shop

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 05:59 PM

Quote:

Posted By: Moonraker

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 06:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

He means drive it so fast the paint and rust come off.
Posted By: midnite360

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 06:44 PM

LOL
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 06:55 PM

Quote:

I burnt up a drill using wire wheels to clean up rust on my floor.

I've got a good, pre wal-mart era drill. It's never missed a beat with the 1/2 dozen floors I've cleaned with the wire wheel. I like the wire wheels for stuff like floors because they don't wear out like the 3m discs that don't last long at all.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 08:50 PM

I use both a cup and disc in a 4 1/2" angle grinder to strip metal. It works well and leaves the metal nice and smooth.

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 09:50 PM

Quote:

I use both a cup and disc in a 4 1/2" angle grinder to strip metal. It works well and leaves the metal nice and smooth.

I had a wire cup for my grinder i tried it on my trailers diamond plate it worked well but soon after it was turning the metal a black color but wasd still removing paint and rust.
Back then plan was to do the whole deck with the grinder wipe with DX579{ppg} laqure thinner and epoxy prime followed by paint.
I never got around to it but wondered if the blacking was going to be a problem?
Thus the reason for this thread. Just looking at opinons on What worked for others since a plan/system would benefit lots of apps.
Thanks for all the input so far
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 10:56 PM

As far blasting goes I paid 2K for new grass sod and wife looked at me like BUT as of This morn she gave the go ahead to blast what Ineed to Can't say that I blame her. But you better hurry if she's opened the door for you.
This guy looks like he could have handled the body shop.

Attached picture 4838737-P9010024.jpg
Posted By: Skeez

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/25/08 11:46 PM

Quote:

Skeez- Can you please post a bigger pic of your avatar? Can't quite make out what it says.. Looks intersting.

Re: Best way to remove rust and paint - 11/26/08 01:04 AM

Funny thing is I used to take the owner of the shop shooting with me about once a month. he was not scared of me but was deathly scared of my wife when he gave the car back looking like that. she showed up there and he ran and hid in a car at the shop.
He went out oweing everyone plenty lost the building ect. It could have been worse he gave me a heads up to get what was mine before the I have seen cars tied up with that before
© 2024 Moparts Forums