Moparts

vac reading ?

Posted By: deaks

vac reading ? - 02/19/13 04:00 PM

What's an average vac reading for a mild 440.
Appears stock other than weiand alloy int holley 650 DP stock 67 74 jets, upped 28 shooters to 31 6,5 PV, cast crank motor, so assuming it will be relatively low comp. It definitely has stock rockers.
At idle it reads 16.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: vac reading ? - 02/19/13 04:27 PM

Quote:

At idle it reads 16.

You're in good shape & this'd be a good opportunity to use the "vacuum gauge method" to find the best initial timing figure your eng likes then proceed with total/springs/vac adv. There's alot of power to be had my getting the dist subsystems spot on
Posted By: deaks

Re: vac reading ? - 02/19/13 07:21 PM

Thanks, the vac reading hardly altered from 1 to 2.5 turns out.
Basically, i'm just trying to get it running ok.
The thing is, with 17 degrees initial i have 40 degrees max timing, which is a little high, although the motor sounds right. I will try it on the road in a cxouple of weeks, wqhen i get it registered.
My Dart has 24 initial with 34 max but that has a .590 cam and a 5000 stall converter.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: vac reading ? - 02/19/13 07:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks, the vac reading hardly altered from 1 to 2.5 turns out.
Basically, i'm just trying to get it running ok.
The thing is, with 17 degrees initial i have 40 degrees max timing, which is a little high, although the motor sounds right. I will try it on the road in a cxouple of weeks, wqhen i get it registered.
My Dart has 24 initial with 34 max but that has a .590 cam and a 5000 stall converter.

weld the advance slots up a tiny bit to limit the total timing to around 36 degrees
© 2024 Moparts Forums