Moparts

2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP

Posted By: Dodgeman67

2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/18/13 12:39 AM

We use this van for a delivery vehicle for my wife's flower shop, and of all days it quits on us on Valentine Day.

It has a bunch of miles and has been a good one. But it died on our delivery girl a few times and then on it's farthest run it died and wouldn't crank back.

Well it would crank and die. I had a guy check the codes and it shows no voltage on a a couple cylinders, it has power going in the PCM, but it doesn't have the 5 volts coming out of the PCM.

Any ideas as to where to start?

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/18/13 02:29 AM

I know we have some good mopar techs on here.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/18/13 08:38 AM

What diagnostic engine code are you getting?

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/18/13 03:46 PM

Not sure on the code, I have a local mechanic with a scan tool, and it's telling him electrical problem with the mass air flow and injector circuit open on cylinder 3 and some oxygen sensor code.

He also said it has power from the key to the relay to the PCM but no 5 volts source coming out.

He said it was his understanding that the PCM sends out 5 volts to the sensors through a common circuit and how much voltage it receives back from each sensor individually is how it determines what to do.

Not sure if all of that is correct, but according to his scan tool there is an injector circuit open.

I hope this helps shed some light on this, I sent him a message and he is going to check the code and get back to me.

Thanks guys for any help.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/18/13 05:18 PM

I would think if the 5 volt ref is gone you'd have more codes. If it just has MAF code, a single cyl. injector code and an 02 code, I can't see any of them causing a no start.

Does it have spark,injector trigger?? Fuel pressure?? That's where I'd start.

If the MAF is in doubt..unplug it, that will make the PCM use other inputs.

If it has a ton of miles and never had a fuel pump put in it....that would be my guess. Your mechanic needs to eliminate the easy stuff first.

Spark?? Injector trigger?? Fuel pressure??

Good luck with it!!
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/18/13 11:01 PM

Might be related, maybe not, but at my work we had a 2003 Taurus, been had been reliable up to a point it in one day, started dying and firing right back up. Would quit then maybe start, maybe not. Finally gave out on me 1.5 hours from work. Got it towed in and it was a wire broken or shorted. Never actually saw the bill or talked to anyone at the dealer to know what or where.

Just sounded so much like my ordeal with the Taurus. Thought I'd throw it out there for ya.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/19/13 12:43 AM

There is no MAF sensor on your caravan. It uses a speed-density injection system that relies on a MAP sensor. If you have lost your 5 volt supply, you should unplug the sensors 1 by 1 to see if it comes back. If so you have found your culprit. Id start with the crank and cam sensors first if this is the case. Is the PCM triggering the ASD relay? Do you have ASD voltage to your injectors and coil? Do you have fuel pressure, fire or injector pulse? This must be known for sure to diagnois it further.

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/19/13 04:33 AM

Ok guys, thanks for the information.

Here are a list of the codes it's showing,

po203, p1496, po456, p1491, po107, po108, po135

Thanks
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/19/13 07:32 AM

I would do as the others suggested, and unhook MAP, TPS, etc and hope one of the sensors was just shorting the 5 volt reference to ground. You can Ohm out the sensors and connectors. On the connector 5 volt reference at the connector (Power OFF) there should be some resistance to ground. If it is very low resistance, could be a short, it no reading it could mean an open circuit. If you get an open circuit reading, you would want to check the wire from the sensor connector to the computer plug and make sure it is not open. Carefully inspect the computer connector and socket for bent or broken pins. If all the sensors/wiring check out, I would inspect the computer connector solder connections to the computer circuit card for a bad solder joint (I think you mentioned intermittent issues?)

I'll try to look up the codes tomorrow. Too tired today, just got back from the hospital (Wife not feeling well.)

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/19/13 01:48 PM

Thanks 451mopar. I hope your wife is feeling better.

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/20/13 03:54 AM

Heard from the mechanic working on the van today, he did some trouble shooting and replaced the map sensor and has it running, but it isn't running good, still has an issue with #3 cylinder.

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/20/13 03:56 AM

Is there a way to flash the computer if we have to put another PCM on it.

Thanks
Posted By: mopwrd340

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/20/13 04:22 AM

This sounded like my 03 did check the injector harness to where its plugged in by the head over the bellhousing and see if the wires melted together .the plug is mounted on a metal bracket and if somebody working on it pushed it againist the headit will melt took me a while to find it had about 10 codes would barely run,

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/20/13 04:28 AM

He said he ohmed the wires and they tested good, and even changed the injector.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/20/13 04:26 PM

Quote:

There is no MAF sensor on your caravan. It uses a speed-density injection system that relies on a MAP sensor. If you have lost your 5 volt supply, you should unplug the sensors 1 by 1 to see if it comes back. If so you have found your culprit. Id start with the crank and cam sensors first if this is the case. Is the PCM triggering the ASD relay? Do you have ASD voltage to your injectors and coil? Do you have fuel pressure, fire or injector pulse? This must be known for sure to diagnois it further.

This is dead on correct. I dont see where you said what eng it is either ? 3.3 , 3.0 , 3.8 or 2.5 ? Ron

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/21/13 02:32 AM

Thanks guys, Ron it's the 3.8, it's one of the nice vans for it's day.

Talked to mechanic today and he has a buddy with a salvage yard and they had a computer, he put it on it and it still not running well.

Posted By: A12

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/21/13 03:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys, Ron it's the 3.8, it's one of the nice vans for it's day.

Talked to mechanic today and he has a buddy with a salvage yard and they had a computer, he put it on it and it still not running well.

Quickly read the thread and did I miss a new fuel filter?
Posted By: A12

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/21/13 03:10 AM

I cracked a spark plug checking my wife's 2001 3.8 T&C once...no make that 2-plugs that I cracked on the cylinders on the firewall side One didn't look cracked at first until you looked really close at it

Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan quit and wont run. HELP - 02/23/13 02:43 AM

First I want to thank everyone for the help.

We got the van back from the mechanic today.

He replaced the computer, a couple sensors, and a few wires and he said it was running good, and drove it 20 miles to my house and it died a couple times when I drove it, but above idle it runs fine.

I hope it gets over it's idling issues.
© 2024 Moparts Forums