Moparts

Key wont turn off car????

Posted By: thedriver

Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 12:02 AM

So i fire the dodge up today, got her all warmed up nice, go to turn it off and the key didnt cut the ignition?? Power stayed on in the car. I went around the back of the car and killed it on the batt. disconect switch.
Where do i start on this?? Is it the ignition switch in the steering column or like a simple wire somewhere. It seems like every spring when i start this car, some new gremelin pops up.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 12:05 AM

I would think the ignition switch in the column myself.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 12:10 AM

Have you done any rewiring of the alternator. The alternator could be self exciting once it is spun up. You need to have the control input switched off with the key.

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 12:13 AM

the alternator? hmmm, was tuggin on those wires when i changed the valve cover gaskets...thats the first to check i guess!
Posted By: BobR

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 12:34 AM

Quote:

So i fire the dodge up today, got her all warmed up nice, go to turn it off and the key didnt cut the ignition?? Power stayed on in the car. I went around the back of the car and killed it on the batt. disconect switch.
Where do i start on this?? Is it the ignition switch in the steering column or like a simple wire somewhere. It seems like every spring when i start this car, some new gremelin pops up.

MSD ignition? If so and you are using a single wire alternator you have to put a resistor(MSD supplied) in the alternator. -Bob
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 12:39 AM

My first thought.

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 05:45 AM

a resistor in the alternator?? seems funny since ive had the msd for 7 years and no problems yet...why now?
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 05:59 AM

I think you mean a diode in the alternator field +12 Volt power line?

To test, just remove (unplug) the +12volt spade connector (or both connectors if your not sure which one is the +12 volt one) at the back of the alternator. Fire up the car, and try shutting it off. It should stop running if the problem was power feeding back from the alternator, if it keeps running, most likely the ignition switch circuit is still suppling power (bad key switch?)

Anyhow, if it is the alternator, install the diode. If you have a CD ignition like a MSD, there is a way that a resistor may help by adding it into the wire that senses the ignition is on (I think it is the small red wire?)
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 03:39 PM

Quote:

a resistor in the alternator?? seems funny since ive had the msd for 7 years and no problems yet...why now?

I'm agree... WHY NOW ?

power must be cut from ign switch, simply like that.

you need to be sure just that when you cut the power from ignition switch the blue line down the column and on engine bay is dead... simply that.

If you have power on blue wire with ign switch of... you have some source accidentally feeding that wire. Could it be the alt black wire.

If you have MSD, brown wire what normally is spliced in to the blue wire must be dead too of course. This wire on stock from, is being feeded directly from ign switch on START position, but is constantly hot because ballast keeps it feedeing from blue wire in RUN... that is in stock form

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 04:16 PM

thanx guys! gonna get my butt out to the garage and see what i can find this mornin here!

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 04:48 PM

The MSD issue only happens predictably when using it with a one wire alternator. The alternator back feeds the ignition with the key turned off and the motor turning. MSD supplies the fix and tells you where to put it. I don't know if it's a resistor or a diode but I have had to use it on every application where I was using a 1 wire alt. If this is a problem that just started you may have a switch or wiring issue. Shouldn't be too hard to track it down. -Bob

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 05:07 PM

im not even sure what kind of alternator i have. its on a 73 340. arent the 1 wire alternators for the older vehicles??

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 08:15 PM

One wire alternators are mostly from late models. GM started using them a while ago. Many aftermarket brands are 1 wire. -Bob

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/24/08 09:05 PM

my alterntor has the two spade connnectors and then one larger wire that goes on the stud on the back...does that make it a one wire?

Re: Key wont turn off car???? - 05/25/08 04:24 AM

No. A one wire alternator has only the large current carrying wire that comes off of the large stud. Your problem in not going to be with the alternator. Start tracking down a short or bad switch. -Bob
© 2024 Moparts Forums