Moparts

wifes 69 coronet

Posted By: Mcat

wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 12:12 AM

at idle lites dim gauge shows discharge a little gas and boom everything comes back replaced voltage regulator /alternator still the same any ideas thank's
Posted By: GMP440

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 12:42 AM

Very commenon with these electrical systems. Do you know what the amperage rating is for your alternator? I used a 65 amp alternator with the correct round back on my 68' Coronet. Big difference, virtually no dimming of the lights. The alternator I used was one from a 72' Chrysler Neuport. That year Neuport used the round back alternator which is correct for your 69' Coronet. You'll love the improvement.

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 12:57 AM

not sure what amps on the alternator got it at carquest for 69 coronet

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 01:02 AM

what is the stock amp rating want to straighten this out because i'm going to convert it over to electronic ignition
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 01:17 AM

Quote:

what is the stock amp rating want to straighten this out because i'm going to convert it over to electronic ignition

That is how they were originally , turn up the idle to about 1200 and it should stop it , but you don't want to run the idle that high .
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 01:20 AM

What about doing the mad electric change over? Eliminate the factory connector terminal and wire it solid.
Posted By: skajm

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 03:44 AM

Please do the headlight/relay set up. And the amp gauge by pass. And add more grounds from engine to firewall to volt reg to frame. More grounds the better. I did these to my car I wish I know about this repair in the 80's. it made a big difference
Joe
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 07:47 AM

Quote:

Very commenon with these electrical systems. Do you know what the amperage rating is for your alternator? I used a 65 amp alternator with the correct round back on my 68' Coronet. Big difference, virtually no dimming of the lights. The alternator I used was one from a 72' Chrysler Neuport. That year Neuport used the round back alternator which is correct for your 69' Coronet. You'll love the improvement.

Does that have the dual field connections on the back or single? Just curious.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The alternator I used was one from a 72' Chrysler Neuport.

Does that have the dual field connections on the back or single?

Dual & if purchasing one I'd go ahead & get the 78 amp one from an 85 M body & as you know just ground one field terminal if using an earlier type reg

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 03:16 PM

Thanks! I was planning on using the updated engine harness for the electronic ignition. That's why I was curious. Awesome!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

I was planning on using the updated engine harness for the electronic ignition.

If the updated harness has the triangle plug for the flat reg (& I would think that it would) & this is going into an earlier car that had a box reg FYI you can trim the sides & redrill 1 mounting hole on a flat 70 up reg & it will nestle neatly into the firewall recess where the box reg once resided. That way you wouldn't have to cut the harness if it's setup for the flat reg.

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was planning on using the updated engine harness for the electronic ignition.

If the updated harness has the triangle plug for the flat reg (& I would think that it would) & this is going into an earlier car that had a box reg FYI you can trim the sides & redrill 1 mounting hole on a flat 70 up reg & it will nestle neatly into the firewall recess where the box reg once resided. That way you wouldn't have to cut the harness if it's setup for the flat reg.

It does. It has the dual field terminals, the '70 and up style regulator, and the electronic ignition harness built in. Going in a '69 Bee.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 05:33 PM

I think I have that same harness that I was going to put in my Bee ...

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/12/13 05:48 PM

I put one in my R/T. It was kind of nice. The parts were usually in stock(newer voltage regulator, better selection of alternators). I was going to try to 'hide' the electronic box under the battery tray. But then I figured it had the wrong alternator and voltage regulator on it, so why bother?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/13/13 08:47 PM

OP should clean all connections, check ground for VR. Would be wise to swap in YO harness if going to electronic ignition. Maybe run dedicated ground to ECU and VR.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: wifes 69 coronet - 02/13/13 09:07 PM

Sounds to me that the belt is loose.
© 2024 Moparts Forums