Moparts

engine installation bummer

Posted By: Rick57

engine installation bummer - 11/23/08 10:16 PM

First try today on putting the 318 engine back into the satellite ended in failure.

3 hours and no cigar.

kept hanging up on the bell house

any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/23/08 10:53 PM

Make sure the convertor is all the way in the trans (if auto). Take some old bellhousing bolts (I think they are 7/16") and cut the heads off, slot them so you can put a screw driver in the slot and put them in the block at about 3 and 9 o'clock. They will guide the block on the bell housing. Insert some bolts, then remove the studs with a screwdriver.
Posted By: 70dart360

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/23/08 11:34 PM

Is the tranny just hanging or do you have it jacked up too?
Posted By: Neil

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/23/08 11:44 PM

Get another jack slide it under the transmission pan and use it to carefully manipulate the transmission up or down to match the angle of the engine. I hope you have the engine hanging from something that allows you to tilt it.
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/23/08 11:56 PM

Believe it or not. Raise the rear of the car. It will help with the angle when installing the engine.

Good luck.

Frank

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 01:50 AM

I wqas only using a lifting plate. Not much of an angle. Does angling the engine with an engine leveler make a big difference.

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 02:28 AM

I have never done it without one and don't think I would want to. I suppose you could do it if you had some friends to help push the engine around as needed while someone layed underneath and got the bellhousing bolts started.

Buy or borrow and engine tilter and give it another try.

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 02:32 AM

Neil

will do that is my next attempt

bummer to have an engine on the garage floor just waiting to be home
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 02:33 AM

Because I don't know you from Joe Blow. The converter is not on the flexplate but in the transmission right?

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 02:36 AM

Yes stall converter is on the transmission spindle. The satellite has a 904 and I bought a 2200-2500 stall. I think I have it push as far on as I can. It turns freely and I can hear the transmission when I spin it around.

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 02:37 AM

I have one of these and it works nice.

http://www.myks-tools.com/

These are more common and work fine also.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch....e&N=700+115

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 02:42 AM

Thanks Neil
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 02:50 AM

I always install engine and trans together.
Raise the rear of as much as your floor jack goes, lifting under the rear diff.
Don't forget your safety stands.
This way I can get it done on my own but it's nice to have extra hands, then I don't have to get under it to do any wiggling.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 05:00 AM

The convertor must "drop" in 3 times.

If it hasnt, its not in correctly.

There are different year convertors, and transmissions that wont match up(I forget the years, didnt they change in '66?)

Moons ago, I attempted to install a '77 convertor into a '66 trans, never could get it bolted together. 'Course, I was 17 at the time and didnt know any better.
Posted By: 3_wheelie

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 05:51 AM

I installed a small block into my car not but a few weeks ago by myself. I had a juck under the bellhousing so i could adjust the tranny it to where i wanted it, had the engine mounts and radiator removed also. Just using a lift plate it was a breeze
Posted By: MNobody

Re: engine installation bummer - 11/24/08 02:06 PM

Well, i guess i'm old but we used a chain bolted cross corner on the intake with longer bolt's so we could adjust the angle of the motor by hooking the picker to different link's on the chain. Sound's like you need a steeper angle to get the motor in.
© 2024 Moparts Forums