Moparts

Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not?

Posted By: BDW

Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 03:16 AM

Got tired of dealing with the the mess during oil changes and added this.

Posted By: 67polara

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 03:29 AM

Accident waiting to happen

Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 03:32 AM

I could use a couple of those on my junk,I am lazy as well and the oil change is 1000 miles overdue.

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 03:40 AM

Got it on Amazon
Fumoto 101

http://www.fumotousa.com/

I've had 1 on my Mustang for the last 3 yrs and love it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 03:50 AM

If it dont leak & the handle stays securely locked in the shutoff position I'd be OK with using one. Who sells em

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 03:53 AM

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-101-Engin...p;keywords=F101
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 03:54 AM

Quote:

If it dont leak & the handle stays securely locked in the shutoff position I'd be OK with using one. Who sells em

handle is spring loaded.. should be ok..

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 03:54 AM

Quote:

The Engine Oil Drain Valve has been tested and granted "Genuine Parts" status by 6 major motor vehicle manufacturers in Japan, including Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Isuzu. These approvals were not granted easily and gaining them was a testimony to the quality and durability of Engine Oil Drain Valve.
Posted By: 67polara

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The Engine Oil Drain Valve has been tested and granted "Genuine Parts" status by 6 major motor vehicle manufacturers in Japan, including Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Isuzu. These approvals were not granted easily and gaining them was a testimony to the quality and durability of Engine Oil Drain Valve.

best of luck,

If it aint broke don't fix it

Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:00 AM

Quote:

I've had 1 on my Mustang for the last 3 yrs and love it.

It appears that the clocking of the valve is determined by when you run out of threads while tightening it, correct?

Where is the one on your Mustang clocked, and is the tension on the spring enough so it doesn't matter?

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:06 AM

Correct,

The lock has an indent, the spring and the rotational tension is very high.

Takes a lot of force to rotate the lever open.
Posted By: A12

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:36 AM

Would you put it on a race car........if not then why on a street car?

Drain bolt = one (1) moving part. Proven pretty darn reliable, about a $1 or two at the most. A good running engine with oil in it, about $$$$$$.

How often do you change the oil to have to use a quick drain system?

What's next a "dry-break" system for the gas tank filler because a quarter turn cap takes too much time to open and close?

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:38 AM

Quote:

Correct,

The lock has an indent, the spring and the rotational tension is very high.

Takes a lot of force to rotate the lever open.

Sounds like more effort than turning a wrench, so what's the gain again?
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:40 AM

Of course, if you have any enemies, it could also leave you stranded due to the ease with which the oil could be drained. I'm just saying...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:42 AM

Another dissadvantage I see is that the drain low-point is raised by the thickness of the thickness of the ID vs the OD of the fitting. From now on you are unable to fully drain the pan by about 1/8" ??? I think of the crap that could collect over time.

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:51 AM

Better question; Would you put it on your airplane?
Posted By: dhkennedy

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:56 AM

What's next a "dry-break" system for the gas tank filler because a quarter turn cap takes too much time to open and close?

Saw on YT that a Ford has that, no cap just shove the filler in the tube.
Posted By: hunterstroble

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 05:13 AM

Our international line strucks have those, bounce all over and rattle around (diesel), not one has leaked.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 05:14 AM

I do see one advantage: I like to change my oil with the engine warm and as much of the sediment in suspension. The bolt always ends up in the hot oil when I take it off. This way, no bolt to lose.
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 05:19 AM

I think the next logical step would be to make a drain valve that takes a hex or torx style bit to turn.

Granted, I've never really had people crawling under my cars trying to figure out what oil drain plug I had, but something with a little security makes sense.

I'll admit, I do get tired of having 5 cars all with different size drain plugs and not having the mental facilities to remember which car has what.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 05:53 AM

With a smaller hole for the oil to drain out how do the lumps get out when the oil change is a tad over due ??
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 05:54 AM

My guys would unscrew it and drain it the regular way!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 06:14 AM

Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 02:04 PM

That is quite the nicely engineered piece. Of course, I didn't realize that unscrewing a drain plug twice a year was such a hassle that it required such a device.

Posted By: Shoozy

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 02:32 PM

Quote:

Actually the '13 Charger has no fuel cap either - just a shove-it system. No issues so far with it but I think I'll stick with a conventional oil drain plug on my vehicles. Murphy sometimes follows me...
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 04:35 PM

Quote:

I'll admit, I do get tired of having 5 cars all with different size drain plugs and not having the mental facilities to remember which car has what.

Had that problem too. Then I wrote each vehicle and wrench required on the garage wall for reference. Fixed.

I'd rather just stick with the bigger/lower opening without the new widget.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 09:04 PM

Quote:

With a smaller hole for the oil to drain out how do the lumps get out when the oil change is a tad over due ??

LUMPS? how many miles do you put on between oil changes? Back in the 60's when people used non detergent oil for 20 thousand miles you would get lumps [ sludge ] but not anymore.
Posted By: Donny

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/02/13 09:40 PM

Quote:

Would you put it on a race car........if not then why on a street car?

Drain bolt = one (1) moving part. Proven pretty darn reliable, about a $1 or two at the most. A good running engine with oil in it, about $$$$$$.

How often do you change the oil to have to use a quick drain system?

Not just that but really how messy is draining the oil during an oil change?
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/03/13 07:17 AM

I think some of you are over thinking a simple task! At least the simple part. Now, if someone would come up with a better way to get at the oil filter......... I know, remote filter.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/03/13 07:19 AM

Quote:

I think some of you are over thinking a simple task! At least the simple part. Now, if someone would come up with a better way to get at the oil filter......... I know, remote filter.

Better way to get the filter....BIG BLOCK....
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/03/13 03:31 PM

Quote:

I think the next logical step would be to make a drain valve that takes a hex or torx style bit to turn.

Granted, I've never really had people crawling under my cars trying to figure out what oil drain plug I had, but something with a little security makes sense.

thats why i use a adjustable wrench.
Posted By: moretoys

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/03/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

Many chrysler products have this as well.If you need to add fuel out of a normal can,in the trunk/cargo area is a special funnel that gets inserted first.The nozzle releases the locks.
jeep,some trucks,charger, challenger,viper all have capless fuel system.

The oil drain valve could be useful.depends how far it hung down(clearance issues?) good advantage is It should save from stripped drain plugs.Some people are animals,some pans are just weak in that area.most do it you're self people are ok.I can speak from experience.The shop I worked at years ago had a contract with local quicky oil change shop.stripped drain plugs where a daily repair,couple oil pan jobs a week,and a couple engines a month.Had to drop them because couldn't keep up with our daily customers.I see the valve being useful if the quality is good and clearance isn't an issue

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/03/13 05:43 PM

You guys have touched on all the reason I added the valve.

- Having to crawl back under the car after not having the right size wrench the 1st time
- Worrying about getting it cross-threaded and stripping the pan
- It will definitely help me do the changes more often

And my all-time favorite:
No more hot / splashed oil on my hands or garage floor.

The car needs to be on ramps or jack stands to change the oil.
Now if you’re honest you’ll admit this has happened to you more than once:

After contorting yourself under the car the drain plug snags on the last thread and you don’t jerk it away fast enough at the precise right angle and the hot oil splashes out as you drop it in the drain pan cursing.

I understand it’s not for everyone, but no more headaches for me.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/03/13 07:02 PM

Looks to me like a bunch of the naysayers failed to notice that there is a plug AFTER the valve.

Not a realistic chance of you losing your oil.

It's also simpler to control the oil when draining and much cleaner.

Any of you naysayers ever put a petcock in the block to drain coolant? I do, one on each side. Way easier to drain coolant as needed, which is much less often than an oil change.

Of course people who actually work on their cars would appreciate things like that, those who don't mock them.
Posted By: Winchester 73

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/04/13 11:28 PM

Quote:

on the gm 80s "tech 4" four cyl,the drain plug was a 3" hand screw type setup in the bottom of the pan that held the oil filter on top of the big plug,,,,, so the drain plug WAS the oil filter!the filter was an open type element and had an o ring on top that screwed into the bottom of the pickup(you could see it if you looked up thru the bottom of the big hole in the pan)

so oil was filtered before it went into the pickup tube and the pump doesnt get to eat dirt.ive often pondered putting this typ of setup on a mopar.

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/04/13 11:57 PM

Quote:

Of course people who actually work on their cars would appreciate things like that, those who don't mock them.

I'm pretty sure that 99.99% of the members on here have turned a wrench or two and removed an oil pan bolt at least once in their life..............just think it's funny to over complicate a simple task with more parts than necessary especially a car or truck older than 30 years old. What's next adding fuel injection because you might need to adjust the idle speed every so often and you have to go and get a screwdriver to do it?

And remember the subject title of the OP

"Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not?"

I mean he did ask us to GO AHEAD AND LAUGH and then ask Why Not? So we've had a laugh or two and told him WHY NOT.

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/05/13 01:44 AM

Quote:

So we've had a laugh or two and told him WHY NOT.
Quote:

I haven't really heard a good reason for why not, other than you don't think it's "manly"

I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their drain plug, just happy it works for me.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/05/13 02:16 AM

Quote:

I could use a couple of those on my junk,

Why? Does it hurt when you pee? Cranberry juice, man!!!

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/05/13 02:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So we've had a laugh or two and told him WHY NOT.
Quote:

I haven't really heard a good reason for why not, other than you don't think it's "manly"

I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their drain plug, just happy it works for me.

Is this the same FUMOTO valve?

Posted By: it's Bob

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 01/28/14 08:25 AM

Quote:

Better question; Would you put it on your airplane?

Actually, quick drains like this are very common on airplanes. Usually of the push and twist style but this could work too.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 01/28/14 06:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that 99.99% of the members on here have turned a wrench or two and removed an oil pan bolt at least once in their life..............just think it's funny to over complicate a simple task with more parts than necessary especially a car or truck older than 30 years old. What's next adding fuel injection because you might need to adjust the idle speed every so often and you have to go and get a screwdriver to do it?

And remember the subject title of the OP

"Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not?"

I mean he did ask us to GO AHEAD AND LAUGH and then ask Why Not? So we've had a laugh or two and told him WHY NOT.

The answer to a question that nobody asked!

....you'll never find one on any of my vehicles but knock yourself out! Seems like it'd be more of a hassle pushing down the lever until all the oils out than it does removing a drain plug.

Dave
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 01/28/14 06:53 PM

You push and then turn, the push unlocks it the turn opens the drain. No need to keep pushing on the lever.

Only problem I see is if it hangs down below the pan, it could get snagged on something. A regular plug may not snag on the same thing.

Based on the comments I'd think most of you won't buy that "new-fangled" sliced bread!

R.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 01/28/14 07:17 PM

Is that hex insert a plug? If it is what have you gained?
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 01/28/14 07:33 PM

I saw on a different forum where a guy got a spring clamp that sits in the groove above the lever. Thus, making it impossible to open without removing the clamp first.

I suppose you could also install it to see where it sits, then remove material on the bottom edge to help the pan drain the last little bit?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 01/28/14 08:19 PM

Quote:

Got tired of dealing with the the mess during oil changes and added this.

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 01/29/14 12:59 AM

Guess you guys were right, multiple engines failure on both my cars in the last 2 yrs.
But this drain is just so dang nice I'm sticking with it.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 01/29/14 02:24 AM

I don't like it because it sticks out too far and can be broke off if it get's hit with anything from the road or if you bottom out your oil pan on some motors.

I buy latex gloves in boxes for penny's to keep the oil off my hands during changes and don't lay in front of where the oil going to come out.

Not saying changing the oil and greasing your car can be clean, because I get plenty dirty doing it.
Posted By: dezduster

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/01/14 12:13 AM

They have been used on over the road trucks for years. I have used them never had a problem even when doing construction work. Even when you drag diffs and oil pan in dirt and asphalt wind rows never had a problem loosing oil. having said that I don't have them on my light vehicles.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Go ahead and laugh, I'm lazy, Why not? - 02/01/14 01:13 AM

Don't need no stinkin' Japanese parts on my vehicles anymore that are on there already!
© 2024 Moparts Forums