Moparts

Choosing a 727 transmission

Posted By: NortheastMopar

Choosing a 727 transmission - 01/29/13 02:43 PM

For a 416 stroker build. I was thinking about just buying a small block 727 tranny and see that there are many options out there. I am guessing the motor will be teetering in at around 500HP and have lots of torque. I was curious if anybody here had bought their 727 from somebody like TCI and which they chose and how it shifts? I am guessing I will be getting a good flex plate and a torque converter in the 3000 range. I have 355 gears and 27" tall tires.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Choosing a 727 transmission - 01/29/13 04:12 PM

CRT a sponsor on here has parts as well as complete trannies & has gotten good feedback. I'm going to order parts from him for my circle track 904. Heard good about TCI & only 1 complaint & iirc it was a seperate TC issue not a complete trans purchase. Sure you dont want to go with a 904? Yes the longevity will be somewhat less depending on the parts choice but less weight & a MUCH easier fit in an A body. I rebuilt a 904 with stock parts then it sat ouside with no dipstick for a year (dont ask ) then I pulled the pan & it was dry (it was summer) so I buttoned it up & ran it in an 360 circle burner & never missed a beat & it was a '65 904 but in circle track you're only at WOT in 3rd gear so that's not the same as street or drag full throttle shifts
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Choosing a 727 transmission - 01/29/13 04:14 PM

Give John Cope at CRT a call for a ready to run 727 unit.

best customer service around. stands behind his work. a moparts sponsor also. IIRC,you get a discount for moparts member.

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Choosing a 727 transmission - 01/29/13 04:16 PM

TCI trans are basic rebuilt units , nothing really Hhigh performance about their builds , you are helping to pay for their contigency program and advertising if you ask me.

That said a friend bought a couple transmissions from them , the first worked ok , he ended up selling that car , the second he had to send it back at least once , maybe twice ... SHIPPING the trans back to TCI ...

That said I'll second calling Cope ...
Posted By: dhkennedy

Re: Choosing a 727 transmission - 01/29/13 04:24 PM

I have TCI and have no problems. I bought the BB727 RV Maxx for a D100, the thing was built for a 14k RV. I will never even come close to that to void the warrenty, most I have hit was 9k total.
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Choosing a 727 transmission - 01/29/13 05:56 PM

Quote:

Give John Cope at CRT a call for a ready to run 727 unit.

best customer service around. stands behind his work. a moparts sponsor also. IIRC,you get a discount for moparts member.

i went through j.cope and never looked back!
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Choosing a 727 transmission - 01/29/13 10:39 PM

TCI used to be crap, but I've not heard much since they were acquired by Comp Cams. Anyone with an update? Like from the last year or two.

Maybe, use one of the trans shops that sponsors Moparts!

R.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Choosing a 727 transmission - 03/06/13 06:06 PM

I would suggest dealing with someone who you can drive to there shop and pick it up. Let them spec the trans and converter to your motor and cam.

That being said I deal with Coan Trans in Kokomo Ind. Nice easy drive from my house. Called them and told them my specs and like 3 days later both were ready to be picked up. No freight charges and I get to meet the people selling me stuff.

BTW every trans I ever got from them was perfect and still is today almost 10 years later.
© 2024 Moparts Forums