Moparts

Removing Undercoating

Posted By: dart4forte

Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 12:24 AM

Anybody here ever use the Fein Multimaster tool with the ridgid scraper to remove undercoating?
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 12:25 AM

Quote:

Anybody here ever use the Fein Multimaster tool with the ridgid scraper to remove undercoating?

putty knife and a torch,just keep torch moving....
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 12:52 AM

propane torch and putty knife....
Posted By: 68CoronetRT

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 12:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

putty knife and a torch,just keep torch moving....

Posted By: BrianT

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 01:09 AM

A buddy of mine used one of these when he stripped his Chevelle. It's a little pricey, but worked like a charm. He says it was worth every penny. Best part is, when I'm ready I can borrow it as long as I buy a new head for it.

high $ Snap On tool

I just looked at the sanding tool you were talking about and these are priced about the same. Your sander could obviously be used for other things, the Snap On tool is a uni-tasker.
Posted By: whitemtnelf

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 02:32 AM

Wire brush and Xylene - melts it away. Need lots of ventilation
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 02:35 AM

paint remover works the best
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 02:53 AM

$5.99 cans of paint stripper and double sided razor blades and 1 1/2 scrapper with one side slightly grounded down works good. Do sections at a time. Hell with the torch and keeping it moving scheme........I can see potential drama in that.
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 03:26 AM

I used a needle scaler on lots of areas.
It worked great.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/23/08 03:25 PM

Leave it on. If its that hard to get off its doing a good job of protecting whats under it. Whatever you put back on may not be as good.

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 12:08 AM

Quote:

It worked great.

Okay, I give up, what is a needle scaler? In answer to leaving it on I'm running fenderwells so the area where the coating is will get hot. I'm leaving the coating in the upper fender well alone.

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It worked great.

Okay, I give up, what is a needle scaler? In answer to leaving it on I'm running fenderwells so the area where the coating is will get hot. I'm leaving the coating in the upper fender well alone.

http://www.novatekco.com/html/needle_scalers.html

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 12:21 AM

Thanks, bet that tool costs a bundle

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 12:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks, bet that tool costs a bundle

It would not be my choice... I still prefer using a torch to soften undercoat .and a wide scraper to remove it...
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 12:30 AM

Use proper PP. Personal protection. My welder ended up in the emergency room with an awful rash when grinding the undercoating off on a hot day. Baaaad rash. The subframe connectors are great though...

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 03:30 AM

You can get needle scalers at harbour freight or Princess Auto up here in Canada,They are cheap and did a great job on my car.
After the scaler I had very little to clean.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1108

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1109
This is what I used, it attached to my air chisle.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 04:14 AM

It would not be my choice... I still prefer using a torch to soften undercoat .and a wide scraper to remove it...

I'm using a heat gun but a wide scraper as well. Mine seems to come off pretty easy, so far. While I'm on this subject and not to deviate from the OP but here's a question related to this:

What to put/do to the metal after removing the undercoating? I would think you need to do something soon to prevent anything happening to the metal. In my case, it could be a while to take it to a body shop(if that's the process)
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 01:10 PM

If anyone is close to me, and your car is on a rotissierie. I will remove everything off the bottem of your car except for the paint in about 4 hours.You could bring the car to me or I could come to you.No scrape marks or gouges and no open flame used. PM me for the cost and availability.

Quote:
What to put/do to the metal after removing the undercoating? I would think you need to do something soon to prevent anything happening to the metal. In my case, it could be a while to take it to a body shop(if that's the process)

Normally the metal would be media blasted and then immediately primed and painted.
Posted By: klunick

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 02:15 PM

I used a needle scaler also but I can see where it might not work with other cars. I had the black undercoating on the car(barracuda) that was hardened and it came off fine with a needle scaler. But, the 69 Superbee has the snot colored stuff on it that seems more gooey. If anyone chooses to use the needle scaler, spend the money and get the Ingersol Rand unit from Northern Tools. I used the one from Harbor freight and it lasted all of about 5 hours and the local store told me to pound sand on an exchange, it was a factory warranty. The two units look identical but the IR unit has lasted.

By the way, if anyone is near Challenger1, take him up on his offer for removal and media blasting. Both jobs are time consuming and well worth the money spent to have others do it better and faster.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/24/08 04:48 PM

Quote:

If anyone is close to me, and your car is on a rotissierie. I will remove everything off the bottem of your car except for the paint in about 4 hours.You could bring the car to me or I could come to you.No scrape marks or gouges and no open flame used. PM me for the cost and availability.

I just might do that Challenger 1. I've seen what you have done to your car(s) and I'm impressed. It would be worth it to me to bring it to you or come up with other arrangements

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/25/08 03:04 AM

I had that problem here with my first needle scaller, it lasted like 5 hrs.
But I bought it at Princess auto here in the Toronto area and there return policy is great.
They say you can bring back any tool anytime for any reason, so I did. The second one is a much better construction then the first.
Also I would only use it to take of the hard black under coating. I added some rubber foam to the handle and body to absorb the shock to my arms, it can cause nerve damage if you do it for a prolonged time repeatedly.
If I could have gotten it media blasted I certainly would have.
Posted By: dusterboy15

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/25/08 03:09 AM

when I remove the undercoating Do I have to spray the bottom with anyhting so it doesnt rust?
Posted By: jsully

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/25/08 03:22 AM

Quote:

I'm using a heat gun but a wide scraper as well. Mine seems to come off pretty easy, so far. While I'm on this subject and not to deviate from the OP but here's a question related to this:

I just finished scrapping the undercoating off the bottom of my 70 Challenger. A $9.99 harbor freight heat gun(s) and variety of scrapers did the job well. I finished 'cleaning' with a wire wheeled grinder and 60 grit where needed. I put SEM self etching primer to keep the metal from rusting until I can seal and paint. The undercoating was the original dealer applied stuff, what a painful 'under'taking it was.
Posted By: dusterboy15

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/26/08 04:33 AM

how much does all this undercoating weigh?
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/26/08 01:53 PM

i had done this back on my duster last summer. not a fun job. i actually haven't worked on the car since because it really tested my convictions to complete the car as well as opened up a whole new can of worms.

after removing all the undercoat, i am now going to have to paint the whole underside of the car. while i have to do that, i decided to paint the engine bay as well since i have the car all apart, why not i figured.

i used the following methods:
- torch and scraper
- chemical peel (some old rust bust from the 60's) and scraper
- younger brother + the above methods

i would recommend using a plastic scraper if possible, as this would eliminate any unintentional gouging of the metal. if you use a metal scraper, file down the corners first.
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/26/08 03:00 PM

I used a torch the outer curved portion of a linolium n floor cutting tool for the inner fender wells. Worked well on the compound curves instead of the squared putty knife.

Attached picture 4840015-Scrapper.jpeg
Posted By: swissmopar

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/26/08 08:49 PM

We use dry ice blasting to remove undercoating. It can be done without removing the undercarriage parts since dry ice sublimes completely.
I have even removed all the paint from my 1958 Corvette without hurting the original Gel Coat layer.

Attached picture 4840722-before_after.JPG

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/26/08 08:53 PM

not one of my pictures but it shows nicley what can be done with dry ice blasting (Alfa Romeo).

Links for the US: http://www.blastcleaningdirectory.com/Countries/USA.htm

Attached picture 4840727-dry-ice.jpg

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/26/08 08:57 PM

How it works:
Cleaning with dry ice! This new development is quickly expanding around the world. One system uses small rice size pellets of dry ice shooting them out of a jet nozzle with compressed air. It works somewhat like sandblasting or high-pressure water or steam blasting, with superior results. The frigid temperature of the dry ice -109.3°F or -78.5°C "blasting" against the material to be removed, causes it to shrink and loose adhesion from its sub surface. Additionally when some of of dry ice penetrates through the material to be removed, it comes in contact with the underlying surface. The warmer sub surface causes the dry ice to convert back into carbon dioxide gas. The gas has 800 times greater volume and expands behind the material speeding up its removal. Paint, oil, grease, asphalt, tar, decals, soot, dirt, ink, resins, and adhesives are some of the materials removed by this procedure. Only the removed material must be disposed of, as the dry ice sublimes into the atmosphere.

Replaces Sandblasting:
This method is superior to sandblasting because the dry ice is soft enough not to pit or damage the underlying surface. The dry ice sublimes quickly into the air and only the removed material must be cleaned up. Dry Ice blasting eliminates equipment damage in two ways. First, dry ice does not erode or wear away the targeted surface as traditional grit media and even wire brushes do. This means that surface integrity and critical tolerances are preserved and equipment will not have to be replaced due to surface erosion common with sand, glass beads, and other abrasive media. Second, with traditional cleaning methods, equipment is often damaged (bumped, dropped, etc.) while in transit to or from the dedicated cleaning area. Instead most equipment and machinery can be cleaned while in place.
Posted By: dmerc

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/26/08 09:07 PM

wait till the global warming people get a load of this.....
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/27/08 03:18 PM

We are using dry ice to blast clean our sanding belts. It really is pretty cool. As stated, rice size pellets, nozzles mounted on a track right in the machine. It vaporizes when it hits so there is no media mess. Not sure what it would do with rust.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/27/08 04:20 PM

My car had sat from 1974 til now.
I worked under my car- on axle stands- for 21 months.
I used torch and scraper,wire brush on my drill to clean up,and hammer and an old beat up flat head screwdriver to chip away the brittle stuff..
I found a lot of surface rust under my undercoating so I had to remove it..I cleaned up it to bare metal,a coat of expoxy primer and then painted. Some areas were pitted already and I treated them with phosphouric acid and/or a rust convertor.
Not perfect,but I know it will never see snow or salt and will last a long time.

Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: Removing Undercoating - 11/27/08 04:26 PM

2006:

2008:
© 2024 Moparts Forums