Moparts

torque converter Brands

Posted By: hemidere

torque converter Brands - 01/23/13 09:39 PM

Buying a new torque converter, anyone have brand they personally recommend. B&M, Hughes, TCI...etc
Any imput greatly appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/23/13 11:02 PM

We need a "Can of Worms" smiley
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 02:00 AM

Turbo Action
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 02:26 AM

Those brands may work fine if performance for your specific application is not a priority (meaning price or off the shelf availability would be higher priorities).

To get the best performance, there are any # of good converter places you can call for a custom made application. I just got an Edge Racing converter, used from Ebay, and I am very happy with it despite it not being built for my application at all. Yes, it's a can of worms.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 02:30 AM

do yourself a favor and call dynamic, ultimate and ptc and discuss it with them.. get one of them to build one to your combo and intended use.. may cost a little more but in the end you'll be a lot happier.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 03:35 AM

Turbo Action set me up with a great converter to replace my old TCI. Far more efficient at cruise without losing the off-the-line performance.
Posted By: dhkennedy

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 04:48 AM

Hughes is hit or miss. I bought two the same at the same time and one leaked at the weld around the snout. Because it was ran Summit would not take it back, took two months to get Hughes to replace it. The good one works great and has done so for over 7 years.
Posted By: hp383

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 06:49 AM

what is the intended use of said converter? Is this a high hp race engine, a high torque pulling motor, a daily driver, or a mildly hopped up street car?

I have used B&M, TCI, Mopar Performance, an Precision of Newhampton in several applications.

For a mild street car, or daily driver I like the performance and price of the Precison stuff. They can supply you with anything from an ultra low towing/pulling converter to a street stall (typically 2000 or so RPM over stock) for a very fair amount of money, gas motors usually in the $75 to $175 range, and diesel in the $200 to $450.

I also REALLY like the Mopar Performance converters, but they are getting hard to find.

My TCI Street Fighter never gave me issues, but some on here said it would fail on me.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 04:42 PM

Neil Chance is the prettiest.
Posted By: Von

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 06:19 PM

IMO, any of the converters from mail order are less than stellar....you get what you pay for when dealing with converters.

PTC makes a killer 9.5 727 unit!!

TA, Dynamic, ATI, Ultimate, Continental and possibly Coan are good quality pieces.

Im sure Ive left off a few, but no TCI, Hughes, B@M, GER, etc....
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 06:36 PM

I am a big fan of Coan trans, they are near me and helped me built some killer powerglides. Plus I raced with and against Jason and his Dad at the Super Quick 32 races, then sponsored by Spitzer Race cars, now Jegs.

When it came time for a trans for my 340, I went to them for the trans and convertor built just for me. It has been the best mopar trans I have ever owned.

Then the same deal when I needed a trans and convertor for my 440/6 pak motor, called them up and 3 days later they have fresh trans and convertor sitting there waiting for me to pickup.

Cost both times was 600 for the trans with a 100-150 dollar core charge if you don't have a core. One time I did and one time did not have a core for my 440. Don't remember what the convertor cost but both trans has heldup great and will bark the tires, shifts great and seems to match my car and motor perfect.

Plus I like dealing with folks personally, they know me and I know them, Coan= good people.

I learned a long time ago not to mix and match parts just to save a few bucks. This is expecially true with trans and convertors.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 06:42 PM

I've had three off the shelf Hughes converters work really well. 2500-3000-3500.

The 10", 3500 went a 1.43 60' in Brian's Duster footbraking with the magazine build 480hp/410 stroker. Not bad for a shelf piece IMO.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 07:13 PM

I called up Paul Forte at Turbo Action and he suggested that I swap my stock MP unit for his 10" #1780ST Tight unit (3500rpm) for my stock-ish 340/727. That unit has been allot of fun on the street for the last eight years. I have recommended it to several SB members on the board.

I am now going to try a Dynamic 9.5" unit on the same car and I should be able to give a comparison between the two this Spring.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/24/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

Im sure Ive left off a few, but no TCI, Hughes, [Email]B@M[/Email], GER, etc....

I don't think I'd lump Hughes in like that. They also make custom converters. I used an off the shelf 3000 stall from Hughes, it worked great (seat of the pants) until I needed more stall. I would not have hesitated to run another Hughes.
Posted By: 383man

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/25/13 01:45 AM

Quote:

IMO, any of the converters from mail order are less than stellar....you get what you pay for when dealing with converters.

PTC makes a killer 9.5 727 unit!!

TA, Dynamic, ATI, Ultimate, Continental and possibly Coan are good quality pieces.

Im sure Ive left off a few, but no TCI, Hughes, [Email]B@M[/Email], GER, etc....

I agree and will add that ATI they say are very good converters also. I have never used them as I use Dyanamic and Turbo Action but I know some stock and superstock racers who like ATI. Ron
Posted By: Fastback67

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/25/13 03:14 AM

I had the one for my 505-6 done by Coan.
Posted By: MAVERICKSHEMI

Re: torque converter Brands - 01/25/13 03:29 AM

ATI Treemaster. Get in, Hold on..
© 2024 Moparts Forums