Moparts

Car tires on a car trailer

Posted By: moparmikethree

Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 03:36 AM

Can you use radial car tires for a car trailer hauling a 70 Challenger if the tires are rated at 1700lbs. each. Dual axles
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 03:40 AM

I would not do it but I have seen it on some trailers. There are tires specific for a trailer and some states will cite you if you do not have trailer specific tires on it.

Russ
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 03:41 AM

A lot of guys have run car tires on their trailers, but it's not a good idea, especially on a dual axle trailer IMO. A crappy little utility trailer with a 1000lb payload is one thing, but a real trailer really should have proper tires for safety sake. Trailer tires have thicker/stiffer sidewalls to withstand the torking and dragging that trailer tires see when you're taking a turn.
Posted By: Posest

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 03:56 AM

I agree with using trailer tires on a trailer. When I back my 28' fifth wheel camper into my driveway I watch the rim flex and the tire drag on the pavement. When I used a gooseneck equipment trailer with a skid steer on it the 10 ply radial tire wanted to roll off of the rim when I was backing it into the spot I park the camper. It bounced, jerked and made me nervous backing it into place.
Posted By: hp383

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 03:59 AM

You CAN run a P series tire on a car trailer according to NHSTA, but when doing so you MUST derate the tire by 10% of its max weight capacity.

An LT rated truck tire can be used at normal rating, just as an ST (trailer specific) tire can be.

Its very common to see many of the name brand trailer companies use the LT tires vs the ST tires. I would not recommend, nor use a P series tire on my own 5000# or larger GVW trailer.

This is not only for ease of replacement on the road, but also because many (if not most) of the ST rated tires are currently imported junk.

That said the trailer companies I have worked for have all used the BFG Commercial LT for tires in the 15 and 16 inch range, and then ST rated name brand tires for the 17.5 inch.

And when it comes to the 22.5 inch stuff, we let the customer decide what he wants to spend.

Also we recommend, and use Magnum balance beads in all sizes.
Posted By: 360cuda

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 04:15 AM

OK...I've owned a lot of trailers. You sound like you know what you are talking about. So at the risk of sounding ignorant, I need to ask; What is a Magnum balance bead?

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 04:19 AM

http://magnumbalance.com/
Posted By: daredevil

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 04:22 AM

good info
Posted By: 360cuda

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 04:30 AM

Quote:

http://magnumbalance.com/

WOW. Good stuff. Very interesting web site. Thanks.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 09:16 AM

Quote:

Can you use radial car tires for a car trailer hauling a 70 Challenger if the tires are rated at 1700lbs. each. Dual axles

Do it only if you like a little sway in the trailer
Dragging the on a twin axle will destroy them (sharp turns)& they will fail when you don't want them to

I would say that you would be setting yourself up for liability in an accident Some states have laws regarding the tires & brakes on trailers with more than 2 axles
Running a MH tire on a trailer down the interstate is illegal in most states due to the construction of the tire Besides a trailer radial by Carlisle will last quite a while & be safer

I ain't no saint I've ran car tires before but learned that trailer tires last longer & cost about the same
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 04:19 PM

Personally I don't like car tires on ANY trailer.
Posted By: cageman

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 07:36 PM

I like to get up to 90 mph sometimes, and I have yet to see a trailer tire hold up, so I'll keep using car tires, I run em till they are bald. Now my trailer is just a 16' two axle bumper type hitch.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 08:55 PM

Good-luck with that in Pennsylvania. We had several trailers break loose and kill a few people from careless people and improper hauling. Car trailers and landscaping trailers are being pulled over more often and inspected closely. Overweight trailers, un-inspected trailers, no brakes on trailers over 3000# pounds, safety chains not crossed properly, wrong tires, and lights are being targeted. And the fines add up real quick.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/22/13 09:51 PM

Quote:

You CAN run a P series tire on a car trailer according to NHSTA, but when doing so you MUST derate the tire by 10% of its max weight capacity.

An LT rated truck tire can be used at normal rating, just as an ST (trailer specific) tire can be.

Its very common to see many of the name brand trailer companies use the LT tires vs the ST tires. I would not recommend, nor use a P series tire on my own 5000# or larger GVW trailer.

This is not only for ease of replacement on the road, but also because many (if not most) of the ST rated tires are currently imported junk.

That said the trailer companies I have worked for have all used the BFG Commercial LT for tires in the 15 and 16 inch range, and then ST rated name brand tires for the 17.5 inch.

And when it comes to the 22.5 inch stuff, we let the customer decide what he wants to spend.

Best post.

Dave
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/23/13 02:00 AM

Trailer specific tires have largely been junk for years now. All I run are non trailer tires on my stuff. But I did that long before the trailer tire production went overseas and to crap.

I have buddies that have had more trouble with newer trailer tires than I have had with used car tires.

Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/23/13 02:22 AM

Quote:

Trailer specific tires have largely been junk for years now. All I run are non trailer tires on my stuff. But I did that long before the trailer tire production went overseas and to crap.

I have buddies that have had more trouble with newer trailer tires than I have had with used car tires.

Posted By: superwrench

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/23/13 02:37 AM

From what I've seen, there are the $75.00 trailer specific tires and then there are the $125.00 ones....DON'T go with the cheap ones for obvious reasons!!
That being said...there has to be a fine line drawn as to whether one is running NEW P rated tires or using a set of WELL used ones.
At the MATS this year, I was astounded to see what some guys had on their trailers....especially when they had been towing at freeway speeds for days!! Blew my mind!!!
Some of these guys had $40000 cars on the trailers and s**t tires (bald) on the trailer.
I value my ride a little more than that...
Posted By: d-150

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/23/13 02:45 AM

i use car tires, no problems yet
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/23/13 03:00 AM

I used to run car tires on my open 16' trailer with no problems what so ever and they held up good. Now on my 20' enclosed I run the trailer tires as the extra weight I think would be too much for car tires
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/23/13 05:06 AM

The best tires that I've seen yet that lasted & carried the weight without swaying were the Hoosier tires that they use on asphalt tracks in the street stock division we used them on a 18' steel deck trailer & towed 80+ going to different tracks with a 3500# car on it. They can take the heat generated by the weight & speed
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/24/13 05:54 AM

Hey Robert, Make sure you get a quote from Dices Tire...They are the distributor for alot of our local tire companies in the Harrisburg area...They're over on the carlisle pike near the new kingston exit of route 81...

Re: Car tires on a car trailer - 01/24/13 06:40 AM

Quote:

The best tires that I've seen yet that lasted & carried the weight without swaying were the Hoosier tires that they use on asphalt tracks in the street stock division we used them on a 18' steel deck trailer & towed 80+ going to different tracks with a 3500# car on it. They can take the heat generated by the weight & speed

I would hate to see the fine on those. They are marked right on the side wall not DOT approved for road use.
© 2024 Moparts Forums