Moparts

Indian Head gasket shellac compound?

Posted By: HemiStan

Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 02:09 AM

OK. Here's the story. I have pulled many engines apart over the years and I have seen some that were sealed VERY well. There are three different types of sealants that I have come across that I am trying to figure out what they are. I *think* that Indian Head shellac was one of them.
Basically, two sealants (one brown, one red) were almost like glue. Very strong and sealed very well. Indian Head may have been one of them but I do not know what the other was. It was NOT red high-temp rtv sealant. This was a dark red substance that was like glue.

The third was a gray sealant that was more like rtv but much better. Ultra gray, maybe?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stan
Posted By: Neil

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 02:13 AM

Permatex form-a-gasket is a dark reddish-brown color and is more like the indian head stuff than rtv. You can still buy and it works great.

All the rtv tubes I have seen have been black, blue, or orange in color. No grey that I'm aware of...
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 02:51 AM

I think your thinking of the Permitex Hi-Tack gasket cement that was dark red?
The Indian head is dark brown.
Not sure about the gray? Mopar and Permitex both sell a grey hi-temp RTV sealer.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 02:59 AM

The dark brown "glue like" sealer might be permatex aviation gasket sealer. Similar to red high tack but thicker and more glue like.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 03:49 PM

The grey stuff is probably "Right Stuff" witch is made by I think permatex. The dealers sell similar if not the same stuff under there own names. Mopar sells it but I can't remember the name, Honda calls it HondaBond, yamaha calls it YamaBond just to name a few.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 06:25 PM

Quote:

The dark brown "glue like" sealer might be permatex aviation gasket sealer

Great stuff for sealing, but you better not need to remove the part any time soon. Cleaning the stuff off is a

The grey stuff is probably the old Yamaha case sealer that lot's of people sell versions of now.

The red stuff may be Edelbrocks sealant

Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 06:29 PM

Hondabond!

Best stuff ever invented. Two versions runny and thick.
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 07:20 PM

Indian Head has been around forever. Always have a bottle handy. Smells good too....
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 07:23 PM

Quote:

Indian Head has been around forever. Always have a bottle handy. Smells good too....

except when you dump it in your HAIR , don't ask

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 07:31 PM

I won't ask. But the image is hysterical!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 07:32 PM

Quote:

what smells better is the PINE SOL used as shampoo

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 07:33 PM

You're killing me!
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 09:48 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the recommendations. It looks like I have a few more products to test out.

Here is a picture of a valley pan that has the red sealant that I am talking about. The gasket is literally "glued" to the pan. Is it the Permatex gasket sealant or possibly the Edelbrock gasket sealant?

Thanks for the replies!

Attached picture 4831853-Gasket002.jpg
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 09:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

what smells better is the PINE SOL used as shampoo

Reminds me of the time my grandmother made a cake and used PINE SOL instead of cooking oil !!! And being one of grannies cakes I woofed down a piece quick and then asked...What kind of a pine cake was that ??? She said "Oh my, I grabbed the PINE SOL from under the sink instead of the cooking oil !!! ...Man was I sick.. ...Layed out in the yard heaving...The few beers I had before dinner did'nt help either...
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Indian Head gasket shellac compound? - 11/22/08 10:13 PM

when I worked at the IH truck dealership, one of the old time mechanics used weatherstrip glue on gaskets when he rebuilt the engines. he said it was harder then heck to get off, bt never leaked.
© 2024 Moparts Forums