Moparts

How many teeth on hemi

Posted By: Onewickedhemi

How many teeth on hemi - 01/15/13 05:48 AM

I am going to buy a flywheel for my 528 hemi. I noticed there is different number of teeth on flywheels. Which one do I need to buy?

Thanks
Posted By: topside

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/15/13 06:49 AM

172-tooth on the direct-drive-starter 4-speed cars, 143 I think on the A/T cars & later reduction-gear-starter 4-speeds. The direct-drive is not the best starter, slow & spendy.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/15/13 06:59 AM

Don't forget the 130.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?cat=274
Posted By: topside

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/15/13 05:43 PM

Oops, you're right, according to Brewer's; I thought the later 426Hemis used the 11" clutch & flywheel.
BTW, the 130 & 143 flywheels use the same reduction-gear starter.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/15/13 06:52 PM

Quote:

I am going to buy a flywheel for my 528 hemi. I noticed there is different number of teeth on flywheels. Which one do I need to buy?

Thanks

The flywheel used is determined by the bellhousing , what bellhousing are you using ?
Posted By: chromedome426

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/15/13 07:38 PM

Flywheel needs to be matched with proper bell housing and starter.

66-69 Hemi's came with 172 tooth flywheel, 11" clutch, and a special bell housing for that flywheel and used a direct drive starter.

70-71 Hemi's came with 130 tooth flywheel, 10.5" clutch, and an aluminum bell housing that was suitable for that size flywheel and it used the common reduction gear starter. (same bell housing used on 70-7? big blocks)

You can now also buy a 143 tooth 8 bolt flywheel for the Hemi that uses the 11" clutch and the 68-69 big block cast iron bell housing and the common reduction gear starter. (Note: This set up may have clearance issues with stock manifolds and the starter.) There is an aftermarket direct drive starter available for this set up that clears the manifold. http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/starter_home.html

The reduction gear starter is the same for manual and automatic transmissions. The different bell housings are made to locate the starter in the correct location for the size of flywheel being used.
Posted By: 64dodge572

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/15/13 10:57 PM

The best setup is the 130 tooth flywheel/bellhousing, and if you use a McLeod clutch package (scalloped pressure plate) you get a 10.9" clutch disc/pressure plate that fits the 10.5" flywheel. Allows you to use a conventional gear reduction starter or one of the mini starters, and makes exhaust clearance a lot easier.

Wayne
Posted By: HEMIDOG 70

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 12:44 AM

Quote:

The best setup is the 130 tooth flywheel/bellhousing, and if you use a McLeod clutch package (scalloped pressure plate) you get a 10.9" clutch disc/pressure plate that fits the 10.5" flywheel. Allows you to use a conventional gear reduction starter or one of the mini starters, and makes exhaust clearance a lot easier.

Wayne

Used this setup in my 528 with brewers 10.5 bell it works good.

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 02:36 AM

OK Men, here is the deal. I have a 528 hemi that we are going to break in on a engine stand. All i need the flywheel for is to start my engine.As you know the starter nose goes into the bell housing. I have a steel after market bell housing. I bought a starter from summit racing. looking on ebay i noticed there are different number teeth. I called mancini racing and he told me 143. once the engine is broken in i am putting in a 727 transmission. What do you think?

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 03:38 AM

I will not put a clutch and pressure plate on the flywheel. All I need the flywheel for is to turn the engine to start it on engine stand.

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 04:43 AM

what are you using for exhaust off the heads ? best bet would be a 130 tooth wheel as the aftermarket steel bellhousing will work with either the 130 or the 143 , these are sold in both 6 bolt and 8 bolt , get the right one .

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 04:52 AM

I am using the stock exhaust manifolds. Is there a problem with that?

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 04:59 AM

Quote:

I am using the stock exhaust manifolds. Is there a problem with that?

There will be if you get a 143 tooth wheel , get the 130 .

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 08:10 PM

I will get a 130 tooth, question that I would like to know is what problems will I have if I us a 143 tooth?

Thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 08:20 PM

I used all three sizes of flywheels on my 1970 Hemi Cuda with two different scatter sheilds when I raced it in NHRA stock, the smaller diameter and lighter flywheels work better on the small nine inch tires we had to run, no problems running any of them with headers in the car, the starters where hard to change with the headers Make sure your bellhousing is compatable with the starter and flywheel size It(flywheel size) does make a difference on the stock type bellhousings, not so on the scatter sheilds, except for the early Ansen scatter sheilds

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 08:59 PM

Quote:

I will get a 130 tooth, question that I would like to know is what problems will I have if I us a 143 tooth?

Thanks

The starter and the left exhaust manifold may want to share the same space, it was mentioned in a post above.
Posted By: mickm

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/16/13 11:42 PM

hope this isn't hijacking the post, but i had the 11" setup and went to the 10.5" setup, which i believe in this case is really the 10.95".

i went from the 142 to the 130 tooth flywheel. i have a mini-starter on there now.

am i going to need a different starter?

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/17/13 12:43 AM

Quote:

hope this isn't hijacking the post, but i had the 11" setup and went to the 10.5" setup, which i believe in this case is really the 10.95".

i went from the 142 to the 130 tooth flywheel. i have a mini-starter on there now.

Headers or manifolds ?

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/17/13 01:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Headers or manifolds ?

headers.

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/17/13 01:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Headers or manifolds ?

you shouldn't have an issues , mini and a 130 should work fine . it's manifolds where things get tight.

headers.

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/18/13 12:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Headers or manifolds ?

you shouldn't have an issues , mini and a 130 should work fine . it's manifolds where things get tight.

headers.

good to know, one less thing to buy!

thanks!
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/18/13 02:00 AM

I run an old Ansen steel bell with a 143 tooth wheel and a Mopar factory V-6 starter with Doug's D-452 2" tube headers with no problems at all
If you just need a flywheel I can send you an old Hays steel wheel that can't be machined anymore
Just shoot me a PM and we can work out the details
Gus

Attached picture 7551279-mysavoy.jpg

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/18/13 05:47 AM

Thanks Gus, PM sent.

Fred

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/18/13 08:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks Gus, PM sent.

Fred

fred, you sent the PM to me, not gus. your account doesn't seem to be accepting PM's, may want to look into that!

Re: How many teeth on hemi - 01/18/13 03:15 PM

Quote:

I run an old Ansen steel bell with a 143 tooth wheel and a Mopar factory V-6 starter with Doug's D-452 2" tube headers with no problems at all
If you just need a flywheel I can send you an old Hays steel wheel that can't be machined anymore
Just shoot me a PM and we can work out the details
Gus

Gus , when did you buy a HEMI ? He needs an 8 bolt (I assume his crank is 8 bolt) 130 tooth wheel
© 2024 Moparts Forums