Moparts

How do heated and cooled seats work?

Posted By: QuickDodge

How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/10/13 04:59 PM

I've read that some new vehicles have heated and cooled seats. Some cars have electrically heated seats, but I have no idea how seats would be cooled. Does anyone know how these seats cool?

Do these seats make much of a difference in keeping a person cool?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/10/13 06:33 PM

who knew
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/10/13 06:55 PM

that is one of the newer options. the other draws air through the seat away from the person. it isn't really cooling per se, but it makes the person feel cooler.
Posted By: moretoys

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/11/13 04:10 AM

heated uses an electric heating element in the cushion/cover.cooled uses a small fan in the seat cushion.you don't feel anything moving-working.some have cup holders that are heated and cooled also.same principle.heated steering wheels too.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/11/13 03:01 PM

I don't know how we ever drove cars with black vinyl interiors and no air conditioning
Posted By: feets

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/11/13 03:13 PM

Quote:

that is one of the newer options. the other draws air through the seat away from the person. it isn't really cooling per se, but it makes the person feel cooler.

That's it.

I really miss the heated seats in my Chryslers. I didn't request that option in the Smart. However, I did put seat heaters in my 92 D250.

One feature that is kinda spiffy is the Airscarf MB introduced a few years ago.

Posted By: Grizzly

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/11/13 05:39 PM

Of all the pointless new things that we don't need in a new vehicle, fan-cooled seats is the exception: Wonderful invention if you spend any amount of time in your ride. I've wound up being able to shut the A/C off because the seat fans work so well. Which is nice because I find A/C leaves you with a "gross" feeling from drying your body out.

If given the choice on your next vehicle leave the GPS, rain-sensing wipers, connectivity (or whatever that distracting crap is), and big stereo off the checklist and get the heated/cooled seats instead.

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/11/13 08:10 PM

MB also has what the techs refer to as "the juggler". It's an active seat that moves slightly to prevent a tired backside from sitting for hours on end. You don't really feel the seat move about but it does work.

The dynamic seat that puffs up bolsters on turns is just annoying. I turn that thing off every time.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/12/13 06:46 PM

Quote:

MB also has what the techs refer to as "the juggler". It's an active seat that moves slightly to prevent a tired backside from sitting for hours on end. You don't really feel the seat move about but it does work.

The dynamic seat that puffs up bolsters on turns is just annoying. I turn that thing off every time.

crazy stuff for sure,i always liked MBīs seats even my (in alot of peoples eyes) old -93 320CE has fantastic seats,very firm but still comfortable and the heater that heats your lower back is incredible on cold mornings. moving the seat just slightly works pretty good even by just pushing the buttons on realy long drives.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/12/13 06:51 PM

Quote:

Wow that's unreal. Makes me appreciate the simplicity of Briggs & Stratton powered go-cart.

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/12/13 08:51 PM

Quote:

Wow that's unreal. Makes me appreciate the simplicity of Briggs & Stratton powered go-cart.

You have no idea.

Dealing with this stuff every day makes you kind of numb to it. Just when you begin to take it for granted you get in a car without those features and you kinda miss them.
Posted By: pacifica

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/13/13 12:23 AM

Quote:

who knew

Nice save...thanks edit button
Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: How do heated and cooled seats work? - 01/22/13 01:07 PM

Quote:

Of all the pointless new things that we don't need in a new vehicle, fan-cooled seats is the exception: Wonderful invention if you spend any amount of time in your ride. I've wound up being able to shut the A/C off because the seat fans work so well. Which is nice because I find A/C leaves you with a "gross" feeling from drying your body out.

If given the choice on your next vehicle leave the GPS, rain-sensing wipers, connectivity (or whatever that distracting crap is), and big stereo off the checklist and get the heated/cooled seats instead.

Ive had daily drivers with heated seats for a long time, but now have cooled seats as well as heated steering wheel. Talk about two things that spoil you, and make you wonder what you would do without them! Its a high of 10 deg here in Chicagoland today. My heated steering wheel will be working in full force on my way to work, and especially on my way home!
© 2024 Moparts Forums