Moparts

Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body

Posted By: kurtsdodge

Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/06/13 08:06 PM

Does anyone have any cool tricks to R&R a heater core on a 1969
Dodge Coronet.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/06/13 08:44 PM

Remove the assembly, remove the retaining clips and replace the core If it is air conditioning car it is harder

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/06/13 09:15 PM

Non A/C car. Looks like a great Sunday project.

Thanks
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/06/13 09:56 PM

Quote:

Remove the assembly, remove the retaining clips and replace the core If it is air conditioning car it is harder

that reply is accurate and hysterical rolled into one!

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/06/13 10:26 PM

And my comment was far from looking forward to the task at hand
And I will have a

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/06/13 10:41 PM

Quote:

And my comment was far from looking forward to the task at hand
And I will have a

HaHaHa!! i too need to break down and do this too. mine doesn't leak but at 40+years, it's a coming!
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/06/13 10:53 PM

why would you need a heater

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/06/13 11:04 PM

Quote:

why would you need a heater

to keep my Pop-Tarts warm, of course!
Posted By: 69suprbee

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/06/13 11:32 PM

I had to replace the heater core on my 69 bee with ac.didnt pull out the whole box.what I can tell you it's just figuring out how it all comes apart and goes back together.not as bad as it sounds.take pictures as you go.david
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/07/13 12:20 AM

Shove corks into the nipples if the car has carpet and you wanna keep glycol off.

Rick
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/07/13 04:39 AM

Quote:

Shove corks into the nipples if the car has carpet and you wanna keep glycol off.

Rick

I should have added blow the heater core out if it hasn't already leak all the contents out
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/07/13 07:27 AM

Go through all this and then hope that your new one fits. I got one from O'Reilys and the tubes didnt stick far enough through the firewall. Went to local radiator shop and got quoted a ridiculous price for him to lengthen them. I didn't feel like moving them around much and possibly breaking them, so I ordered from year one. Same manufacturer, 2 or 3x more expensive, and it still didn't fit right.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/07/13 07:50 AM

It's pretty easy to remove the non-AC box.
I believe I got my heater core from Autozone, about 15 years ago. I also picked up some thin foam and weatherstrip adhesive and made/replaced the seals. I think some of the restoration places sell a kit with the door seals and such to rebuild the heater box. It has been awhile, but I don't recall the '69 box having clips (my '71 box did?) I think the '69 box has a metal back that is screwed onto the box.
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/07/13 08:57 AM

Quote:

It's pretty easy to remove the non-AC box.
I believe I got my heater core from Autozone, about 15 years ago. I also picked up some thin foam and weatherstrip adhesive and made/replaced the seals. I think some of the restoration places sell a kit with the door seals and such to rebuild the heater box. It has been awhile, but I don't recall the '69 box having clips (my '71 box did?) I think the '69 box has a metal back that is screwed onto the box.

Just lots of screws I believe. Here's a kit if you're feeling ambitious (moparts sponsors site). http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/b-body/
Posted By: 70Coronet500Vert

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/07/13 03:33 PM

I've done 3.

I always order the complete gasket kit from a Moparts sponsor. Always fits.

I always order the cores from Rockauto.

I always have a hand vacuum pump and I check operation of all doors after the rbuild to make sure no glue/gaskets inhibit movement.

Not hard.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/07/13 05:22 PM

Quote:

Go through all this and then hope that your new one fits. I got one from O'Reilys and the tubes didnt stick far enough through the firewall. Went to local radiator shop and got quoted a ridiculous price for him to lengthen them. I didn't feel like moving them around much and possibly breaking them, so I ordered from year one. Same manufacturer, 2 or 3x more expensive, and it still didn't fit right.

I had a similar experience with the heater core for my 68 Coronet, also the aftermarket blower motor didn't fit right... Took the core & the motor back & watched Ebay till an NOS blower motor popped up... On the heater core & bought one through my local radiator shop & when the tubes were to short I took it back & they extended them at no charge...

Re: Replacing a heater core on a 1969 B-Body - 01/09/13 11:21 PM

Thanks everyone! I started the project on Sunday. I will finish today.
A lot of other pressing things, can't drive the car until March
© 2024 Moparts Forums