Moparts

Help with PCB delaminating

Posted By: VincentVega

Help with PCB delaminating - 12/31/12 07:21 PM

I noticed that my instrument cluster PCB (printed circuit board) is delaminating in a few areas. There's nothing wrong with the copper traces or anything like that. Any idea what I can use to glue it back together? Would prefer something flexible

Re: Help with PCB delaminating - 01/06/13 05:16 AM

Anyone know what these things are made of? After doing some research, I think it's Kapton
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Help with PCB delaminating - 01/06/13 06:26 AM

How about super glue or five minute epoxy? Do you have a senitive Volt Ohm meter ? If so spread some on the edge where there is no circuits and let it dry and measure across it to see if it conducts or not I had to make printed circuit boards for a small solid state amplifyer in a electronic class years ago, I'll be dang if I can remember what they said those boards where made out of We used some kind marker that resisted acid to make the circuits and then soaked them in acid for a few minutes to remove the unwanted part of the rest of the board Solder the components in and if it worked, mine did, you got a passing gradde for the project
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Help with PCB delaminating - 01/06/13 04:18 PM

I have used clear finger nail polish before.

Re: Help with PCB delaminating - 01/06/13 04:23 PM

it's definitely going to be some kind of glue, but regular epoxy cures very hard and I would like the repair to be just as flexible as the rest of it.

I emailed one of my bosses who runs several electronics companies and asked if he can send me anything they use in pcb prototyping. if he does, or if I come up with any valuable information, I'll post it here.

@slantzilla, that's a neat idea... do you recall if it was flexible? my worse repair area is going to be about 2 square inches

I'm going to try to do some more research on Kapton cement or epoxy.. found some stuff so far but only by big industry suppliers
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Help with PCB delaminating - 01/06/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

it's definitely going to be some kind of glue, but regular epoxy cures very hard and I would like the repair to be just as flexible as the rest of it.

I emailed one of my bosses who runs several electronics companies and asked if he can send me anything they use in pcb prototyping. if he does, or if I come up with any valuable information, I'll post it here.

@slantzilla, that's a neat idea... do you recall if it was flexible? my worse repair area is going to be about 2 square inches

I'm going to try to do some more research on Kapton cement or epoxy.. found some stuff so far but only by big industry suppliers

I used to repair and rebuild PCB's back in my sailor days and I'll be darned if I can remember other than it was a two part clear epoxy, got out in 93 so it's been a few years.

Re: Help with PCB delaminating - 01/06/13 05:25 PM

thanks!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Help with PCB delaminating - 01/06/13 08:50 PM

Most five minute epoxys remain flexable, I use them on carbs to reseal the lead insert plugs. It is fuel restistance
© 2024 Moparts Forums