Moparts

rear seals and bearings

Posted By: tillysuperbee

rear seals and bearings - 12/31/12 05:26 PM

wheres the best place to buy rear seals amd outer bearings for my 83/4 ? the chunk was out and it was rolled in and out of a trailer a few times and im thinking id be safe than sorry and replace them before i put it back togather thanks
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: rear seals and bearings - 12/31/12 06:57 PM

Replace the inner axle seals, clean and inspect the bearings, repack with a good quality axle grease, reinstall and adjust the end play and go with it.

Re: rear seals and bearings - 01/01/13 05:28 PM

Thanks, I was thinking so but was wanting the reassurance
Posted By: Meangreen68

Re: rear seals and bearings - 01/01/13 07:51 PM

Before you tap the axle seal into the housing ends, put a light coat of Permatex into its bore.

Soon after the first time I ever R&R'd axle bearings, I needed to pull one of the axles to replace the left-hand studs. It was then I noticed gear-fluid had crept from around the outer perimeter of the seal.

Maybe I didn't install it correctly but I would think, Sure-Grip additive shouldn't find its way into axle bearings.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: rear seals and bearings - 01/01/13 08:04 PM

Although not necessary...... As long as you have it apart, now would be the time to install a set of sealed (green) bearings, and lose the end-play adjustment.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: rear seals and bearings - 01/01/13 09:02 PM

Quote:

Before you tap the axle seal into the housing ends, put a light coat of Permatex into its bore.

Soon after the first time I ever R&R'd axle bearings, I needed to pull one of the axles to replace the left-hand studs. It was then I noticed gear-fluid had crept from around the outer perimeter of the seal.

Maybe I didn't install it correctly but I would think, Sure-Grip additive shouldn't find its way into axle bearings.

That`s why I use the mopar seal. It has a rubber like coating on the outside and the aftermarket doesn`t.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: rear seals and bearings - 01/02/13 01:07 AM

Quote:

Although not necessary...... As long as you have it apart, now would be the time to install a set of sealed (green) bearings, and lose the end-play adjustment.

I went greens and never had to look back. I dont run the axle tube seals either. the O-ring on the green bearing seals up fine. (I just had it apart today for a gear change.)

although the endplay adjustment is not hard and only takes mins,it is just oneless thing for me to have to do when in a hurry on a gear swap. bolt and play.

either way you go,member DrDiff can fix you up with any of the things you need for the 8 3/4/seals and has the best deal on green bearing kits.

Re: rear seals and bearings - 01/02/13 06:47 PM

thanks for the help i called drdiff but hes out till the 8th so i will wait cuz i did have a leak on the right side years back after i put it togather
© 2024 Moparts Forums