Moparts

Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance.

Posted By: MuuMuu101

Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 07:48 PM

Hi all. So I'm painting up my last piece of the steering column and before I put it together I just want some input on what I should do. It's a floor shift power-steering column. I currently don't have any lube or grease on hand and was wondering if you guys had any input on what I should buy. Also, my ball bearing seem to be worn out a little. Let's just say they make some crunchy noises for a little when spun (less now). Should I order new bearings or just lube these guys up? Any tips or tricks before I get started putting it together would be greatly appreciated. I've got the 69 Service Manual on pdf and plan on following that for the reassembly. Thank you!
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 08:21 PM

'I've got the 69 Service Manual on pdf and plan on following that for the reassembly.'

There you go...

(If it was me, any bearings would get replaced)...
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 08:29 PM

On a side note, your education is evident in your posts. Thank you for going to college and sparing us the pain of sifting through messy habits that others perpetrate against the English language!

Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 08:41 PM

If it was me, I'd get the new bearing(s). Can't remember if that year had a lower or not.

The joy of getting it all together will be outweighed by the reminder of the semi-crunchiness of the upper bearing every time you drive it...

(A paraphrase of the original: "The joy of a great price will be outweighed by the disappointment of poor quality" or some such.)

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 08:46 PM

Anyone know what size or where to buy bearing? Our shop uses McMaster Carr for most our purchases, but I was wondering if other options were available.

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 09:03 PM

Quote:

On a side note, your education is evident in your posts. Thank you for going to college and sparing us the pain of sifting through messy habits that others perpetrate against the English language!

LMAO...

Yes, the power of the correctly spelled werd knows no bounds...

(Detroit Ball Bearing, and Bearing Service are the choices in these parts...

What 'chu gonna do with that 'custom' steering coupler???)
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 09:07 PM

Quote:

wacha be trin to say? U and i needs to be conversatin bout this here. i tak afence to it! (seriously, i too applaud MuuMuu!)

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 09:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

LMAO...

Replace it completely...

This is most the parts repainted about 2-3 weeks ago.

Since then, I've touched some of them up and I just sprayed the steering wheel hub. I really wish I hung the parts when I painted them instead of spraying them on cardboard. The cardboard ripped some of the paint off when removing them. I resprayed them a bit to fix them, but they're still not perfect. O well, they look good enough for me.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 09:33 PM

Quote:

I really wish I hung the parts when I painted them instead of spraying them on cardboard. The cardboard ripped some of the paint off when removing them. I resprayed them a bit to fix them, but they're still not perfect. O well, they look good enough for me.

I'd repaint them, and hang them up this time...no point in saying 'oh well' since it's not something you will not be doing again to "fix" and it'll bug you every time you look at the spots where the paint is not nice too...

At least it would bug me.

(I've got a few old wire coat hangers I have stretched out and use to hang parts while painting, works great ! )

(and I have been painting stuff for the sway bar install lately. )

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 11:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I really wish I hung the parts when I painted them instead of spraying them on cardboard. The cardboard ripped some of the paint off when removing them. I resprayed them a bit to fix them, but they're still not perfect. O well, they look good enough for me.

I'd repaint them, and hang them up this time...no point in saying 'oh well' since it's not something you will not be doing again to "fix" and it'll bug you every time you look at the spots where the paint is not nice too...

At least it would bug me.

(I've got a few old wire coat hangers I have stretched out and use to hang parts while painting, works great ! )

(and I have been painting stuff for the sway bar install lately. )

Thanks for jinxing my parts Oz! I swear they were perfectly fine before you made that comment and once I went back to check on them 3 parts that have already been finished had cardboard paint peal. I just touched up those parts now. Most of the places where the peal is located is hidden or under the dash so I don't mind too much. Next time I repaint something, though, they will be hung.

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 11:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LMAO...

Replace it completely...

This is most the parts repainted about 2-3 weeks ago.

Since then, I've touched some of them up and I just sprayed the steering wheel hub. I really wish I hung the parts when I painted them instead of spraying them on cardboard. The cardboard ripped some of the paint off when removing them. I resprayed them a bit to fix them, but they're still not perfect. O well, they look good enough for me.

Whatever you do, save that 'OEM' coupler...

That's one fer the books...

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/24/12 11:46 PM

Quote:

That whole shaft/coupler setup is sitting comfortably on top of my shelf. That thing isn't going anywhere. I call it the "War-Hammer" primarily because it's large, a little heavy, and the only purpose it serves (now) is a good object to wack people with.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/25/12 12:40 AM

Quote:

It is even more impressive in person..

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/25/12 01:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It is even more impressive in person..

Next time I bring it to the cruise, I'll bring it so you can really take a look at it.
Posted By: rave_12000

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/26/12 05:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That whole shaft/coupler setup is sitting comfortably on top of my shelf. That thing isn't going anywhere. I call it the "War-Hammer" primarily because it's large, a little heavy, and the only purpose it serves (now) is a good object to wack people with.

you could become the "thor" of steering columns. lol.

any grease should work...just as long as it is greasy. i have always had a bunch of columns laying around. unless the bearing is completely apart...i grease and throw back together. needle tip for the grease gun is sometimes helpful to hit tight spots.

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/26/12 06:40 AM

Quote:

you could become the "thor" of steering columns. lol.

I need to start getting a Moparts Superhero outfit together.
Posted By: feets

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/26/12 05:13 PM

Quote:

You better not be using those shiny new tools to half-ass the car.

Hang 'em up and paint 'em right. Replace that crunchy bearing too.

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/26/12 07:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You better not be using those shiny new tools to half-ass the car.

Hang 'em up and paint 'em right. Replace that crunchy bearing too.

I don't paint with ratchets and wrenches? I'll probably end up redoing them anyways. I need to pull some hangers from my closet. And does anyone know the bearing sizes?
Posted By: Eagleone1983

Re: Steering Column Assembly and Maintenance. - 12/27/12 09:31 PM

Sorry don't have a bearing size for ya but the lower bearing is remanufactured and is availible at most of the Mopar parts dealers. Luckily both my bearings were good and just needed some repacking.
© 2024 Moparts Forums