Moparts

318 Small Block...what is this?

Posted By: Angel

318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/15/12 12:11 AM

Would someone please tell me what this stuff is in the attached photos? Just next to the coil on my engine there is some wiring that looks like it is connected to a condenser or something. I have always left it alone, but now I'm going to swap this 318 for a 360 and I'd like to know what this is. Will I need it?

Thanks.

Attached picture 7503496-318Chrysler_WhatIsThisClose.jpg
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: 318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/15/12 12:18 AM

where do the wires go?
year and model of car?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/15/12 12:19 AM

It's a temperature switch for the electric choke. Depending on engine and ambient temperature, an electric current is used to heat the choke to help it open. If you disconnect it, engine heat will fully open the choke, it will just take a little longer.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/15/12 01:37 AM

Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: 318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/15/12 02:09 AM

Quote:

It's a temperature switch for the electric choke. Depending on engine and ambient temperature, an electric current is used to heat the choke to help it open. If you disconnect it, engine heat will fully open the choke, it will just take a little longer.

yup for the electric choke
Posted By: feets

Re: 318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/15/12 03:25 AM

These guys are 100% WRONG!

It's a sign from Mopar that you need to ditch that carb and intake for a more efficient and powerful arrangement.

Posted By: Kilroy was here

Re: 318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/15/12 08:24 AM

Quote:

Posted By: SixDRacing

Re: 318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/16/12 03:59 AM

it is a resistor to slow down the choke opening.

Re: 318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/17/12 07:07 PM

Thanks to everyone for the answers. It's a 318 in a '73 Plymouth Satellite (my daily driver) but it isn't the original engine. It's date stamped 1984 so who knows what that engine was from...I think I mentioned that in my original post...don't remember.

Anyway, thanks to all for the information. It's no wonder I've never paid any attention to it. It doesn't seem to effect the way the car runs and I've driven through the Chicago WINTER 3 years in a row!

Re: 318 Small Block...what is this? - 12/17/12 07:09 PM

Quote:

These guys are 100% WRONG!

It's a sign from Mopar that you need to ditch that carb and intake for a more efficient and powerful arrangement.

This was the best answer by the way!
© 2024 Moparts Forums