Moparts

Grease on Poly Bushings

Posted By: mopowers

Grease on Poly Bushings - 12/14/12 05:10 PM

I'm putting poly bushings on my leaf springs but lost the grease that came with them. Would I be better off with white grease or a thicker grease like wheel bearing grease??
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Grease on Poly Bushings - 12/14/12 06:14 PM

petroleum based grease is OK, Marine based petroleum is prefered, or Formula 5 from Energy Suspensions
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Grease on Poly Bushings - 12/14/12 06:17 PM

I don't even know what marine based grease is. HAHA!! I was just trying to get by with what I have.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Grease on Poly Bushings - 12/14/12 07:23 PM

I use synthetic disc brake caliper grease on all things that move, wiggle slide or spin. It's synthetic and won't attack rubber or plastic has PTFE, Teflon and graphite in it, has a high washout resistance and has an incredible operating temperature range.

There's really nothing out there that I've found that works better for general, long-lasting lubrication on an incredible array of things.

It does cost money, but a little goes a long way. It's often available in very cheap, small blister packs for one time use, but I always get the larger jar with a built in brush.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Grease on Poly Bushings - 12/14/12 08:42 PM

You'll want the thickest and stickiest grease you can find.
Anything thinner will usually be squished out between over time.

Coat every part of the bushing which sees contact with metal.
The squeaksounds polybushings sometimes develop usually come from the vertical side areas, as they see the most movements.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Grease on Poly Bushings - 12/15/12 03:25 AM

I usually have moly grease in my gun and use that on poly. No problems or squeaks.
Posted By: MadMax58

Re: Grease on Poly Bushings - 12/15/12 04:00 AM

I have used Mobil 1 synthetic grease and never had any problems. I would recommend Green Grease for poly bushings over the Mobil 1, because it is thicker and more sticky.
Posted By: pauly v.100

Re: Grease on Poly Bushings - 12/17/12 07:32 PM

Marine grease, its used on outdrive lower legs and looks just like the really expensive stuff that Energy Suspension and others sell. I used this stuff from West Marine, works great!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...;classNum=50819
© 2024 Moparts Forums