Moparts

Lifter preload question

Posted By: slowpoke

Lifter preload question - 12/03/12 12:12 AM

I'm replacing intake and valve cover gaskets and want to check my lifter preload while I'm this far in. It's a rb with hydraulic cam/ lifter w adjustable rockers. My question (probably dumb) is should I back off all the adjusters at first or just the cylinder I'm working on?
As I said, probably dumb but I'm having a brain seize...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Lifter preload question - 12/03/12 01:03 AM

Quote:

I'm replacing intake and valve cover gaskets and want to check my lifter preload while I'm this far in. It's a rb with hydraulic cam/ lifter w adjustable rockers. My question (probably dumb) is should I back off all the adjusters at first or just the cylinder I'm working on?
As I said, probably dumb but I'm having a brain seize...

If your going to remove the intake valley pan find a piece of wire that is around .030 diameter to use to check the preload between the lifter cup and the wire retaining clip I like and use between 1/4 and 3/8 turn preload from zero clearances on the adjuster srew , I use my fingers to move the pushrod up and down while adjusting the adjusters to get zero preload
I just finished a new motor with hydraulic lifters, I brought #1 piston to top dead center on the firing stroke and set both lifters, I rotated the crank 90 degrees clockwise and did # 8 and then #4 and so on It is probally better to do the adjustment with the motor warmed up like you drive it
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Lifter preload question - 12/03/12 03:16 AM

Quote:

and want to check my lifter preload while I'm this far in.

Put the timing marks at TDC #1 compression & make a magic marker ink mark on the side of a small steel scale (ruler) & set it across the valve cover rails & slide it over quickly before the ink dries being careful to avoid the springs & let it touch either #1 pushrod to make a very small mark on it then loosen the adjuster till the lifter cup is up all the way & repeat making another mark then measure the distance between your two marks.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Lifter preload question - 12/03/12 03:48 AM

Quote:

...If your going to remove the intake valley pan find a piece of wire that is around .030 diameter to use to check the preload between the lifter cup and the wire retaining clip...

A spark plug wire gauge works good for this.

Attached picture 7486692-kdt-165sparkpluggauge.gif
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Lifter preload question - 12/03/12 11:04 PM

Thanks for the responses guys!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums