Moparts

slant six low compression how low is low?

Posted By: 440gtx6

slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 03:50 AM

Picked up an old Hobart G300 welder with a Chrysler engine. It's a 170 cu. in. slant six and I'm only getting 40 psi on each cylinder when I check the compression. I know it's only supposed to be an 8.5 to 1 comp ratio but doesn't 40 seem way low for even a 8.5/1 motor? I don't have any experience with these sixes so guess I could use some advice.

Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 04:24 AM

it's almost deceased. Only a /6 could still run with it that low. You might adj the valves, .010" intake/.020" ex and I like to loosen the plugs several turns then tighten them up & reinstall the plug wires & start it & rev it to blow the loosened carbon chips out which can lodge under a valve & give a false low reading (but not low like you have) & only takes an extra minute or 2 when doing a compression test.
Posted By: 440gtx6

Re: slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 04:38 AM

Lol, yea that's what I figured. I have no idea how long it's been since the thing ran, bought it at auction a few years back and just now getting around to messing with it. Hopefully they just parked her because the engine was weak rather than a problem with the welder head. I would probably spend a few bucks and overhaul the six but probably tough finding parts for the generator side and $$$ too.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 04:42 AM

You might pick up a /6 for cheap and or see if the welder head is OK first
Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 05:13 AM

I've hot a cheap 225
Posted By: moretoys

Re: slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 05:53 PM

spray alittle oil in the cylinders,see if it comes up. a sitting- dry engine will have low #'s. a little oil might help.rings could even be stuck in place.oil might free them up also. at 40 lbs I wouldn't expect it too run.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 08:01 PM

You are going to need at least 100 psi cranking compression to get it to run.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 09:30 PM

Pour some turpentine down the plug holes and let it sit overnight. As said before, check the valve adjustment too.

One thing you will have to watch swapping a 225 in will be clearance for the top of the motor, and exhaust routing. The 225 is taller than a 170 by a couple inches. Also, the crank flywheel register diameter changed in 1968 so your coupler may not fit.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 09:33 PM

FYI, 8.5 is probably optomistic. True cr is usually closer to 7.5:1.
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: slant six low compression how low is low? - 12/01/12 09:43 PM

Might want to check the timing chain.
© 2024 Moparts Forums