Moparts

cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing

Posted By: mopowers

cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 11/30/12 05:41 PM

I've got a 8.75 house that is all rusty and scaly on the inside. I can wire wheel the outside, but what the easiest way to clean out the inside to get it ready for assembly??? The local machine shop wants $40 to hot tank it. Will hot tanking it get rid of the rust and scale? Would it be worth the $40??? Can I pre-treat it with something to make sure to comes out clean????

Any ideas????
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 11/30/12 08:52 PM

You could soak it with one of the rust converter products (phosphoric acid solution), but you'd have to plug the axle tube ends carefully, and keep sloshing/turning. Could take a while now that it's colder, too.

That much Ospho (or similar) would probably cost more than the $40. I'd just have it tanked.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 11/30/12 09:24 PM

Easiest way to go is just to have it acid dipped.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 11/30/12 09:57 PM

Quote:

Acid dipped in California?

I'd pressure wash all the grease and oil off of it in and out and then sand blast it in and out. Then paint the outside and after it's dry I would pressure wash the inside to remove any sand. Then your ready for assembly and gear oil.

Or look for another housing...
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 11/30/12 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Acid dipped in California?

I'm pretty sure the petroleum based hot tanks that repair shops of yesteryear had are banned here. (elsewhere too?)

All the repair shops here have aqueous based hot washing tanks with high pressure sprayers that revolve around the part.

But I think there are special places in California that dip car bodies to remove paint and rust. So I'd think those places would do a rear end housing. Maybe they advertise in Drive Magazine??

I know they acid dip for removal of metal (chemical machining) still here in So Cal. I think it's used in the aircraft industry. Don't know if they would do a project like this though.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 11/30/12 10:50 PM

I would think finding another housing would be easier and cheaper !!!
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 11/30/12 11:03 PM

that's a perfect job for vinegar based rust removal. there are several posts on moparts describing the process it takes a lot of vinegar but it is cheap
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 11/30/12 11:41 PM

Maybe shot blast the inside of the tubes?

Hot tanks out here don't do much if anything to rust.

The vinegar would work too. Get a piece of 5-8" diameter PVC, large enough to stand the tube up and do it one tube at a time. That way you don't have a huge vat of the stuff and it also minimizes the amount of vinegar/lemon juice/salt that you need.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/01/12 12:03 AM

Just glass bead or sandblast the interior then wash it out thoroughly with soap and water then blow dry.

I've done it many times and then painted the interior with Rustoleum Red Primer or Glyptol.

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/01/12 12:56 AM

I found a local blasting facility that is sand blasting the inside for $40. Heck of a deal if you ask me!!!
Posted By: 19cuda73

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/01/12 02:13 AM

Quote:

I've got a 8.75 house that is all rusty and scaly on the inside. I can wire wheel the outside, but what the easiest way to clean out the inside to get it ready for assembly??? The local machine shop wants $40 to hot tank it. Any ideas????

I would hot tank! 40$ is money well spent. Napa did this manifold and it came out looking like new

Attached picture 7483456-IMG_0410[1].JPG

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/01/12 02:15 AM

After It cost $25

Attached picture 7483460-IMG_0467[1].JPG
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/01/12 03:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've got a 8.75 house that is all rusty and scaly on the inside. I can wire wheel the outside, but what the easiest way to clean out the inside to get it ready for assembly??? The local machine shop wants $40 to hot tank it. Any ideas????

I would hot tank! 40$ is money well spent. Napa did this manifold and it came out looking like new

That is without ANY follow up bead blasting? Nice!

What sort of cleaning tank did they use to get that?

Can they still do the old fashioned caustic chemical hot dip like the old days in other states??
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/01/12 05:12 AM

Just got a local quote about 2 weeks ago to chemical dip and powder coat a hsg $175-$200
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/01/12 08:15 PM

Quote:

Napa did this manifold and it came out looking like new

Are you sure it was tanked? Looks more like cooked and shot beaded.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/02/12 01:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Napa did this manifold and it came out looking like new

Are you sure it was tanked? Looks more like cooked and shot beaded.

No a real castic hot tank will make them look like new, even eat the rust off. I used to use one quite a bit.

Most imoportant thing to remember on sb is to grind off the rivets holding the cover on the bottem of a stock intake to get it clean and clean the plate separately in the hot tank.

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/02/12 06:18 PM

No a real castic hot tank will make them look like new, even eat the rust off. I used to use one quite a bit.

Most imoportant thing to remember on sb is to grind off the rivets holding the cover on the bottem of a stock intake to get it clean and clean the plate separately in the hot tank.

That is true when I took in the 340 intake they took off the bottom pan hot tanked it and reinstalled it. The unit came out looking just like the big block piece. In Washington they must still be able to use the real deal solution not sure what it is but it works sweet. I have a whole slou of valve covers I need to take in next.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 01:35 AM

The old caustic hot tank solutions need to have the rust remover additive in them to take the rust off. If you use to much of it in the tank you end up with a coating on the part that looks grey instead of how clean cast iron does I agree with John Kunkel on that part that looks like it has been cooked and iron bead blasted
Posted By: dOoC

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 03:27 AM

x 99 on finding another housing. IF it is that bad there ... it has to be a horror-show on and in the axle bearing ends.
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 05:35 AM

Quote:

I just had my Dana 60 housing cleaned up. I had it sit in a solvent tank over a weekend, then I had it Acid dipped. The grease, and rust is gone....looks great.

Now it's going to get powder coated.
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 05:42 AM

Quote:

I found a local blasting facility that is sand blasting the inside for $40. Heck of a deal if you ask me!!!

I was told to blast with caution, and not the inside. While blasting will clean the inside there will be little places where media (sand etc) sticks to the grease and you'll have a hard time seeing it or getting it out. Then it was clause issues with your diff down the road.

A solvent tank / Acid Dip process is a better route I think, as the grease is removed and the metal is clean.

If you have the outside blasted only seal up the housing really really well to prevent media from getting inside.

-dan

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 06:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was told to blast with caution, and not the inside. While blasting will clean the inside there will be little places where media (sand etc) sticks to the grease and you'll have a hard time seeing it or getting it out. Then it was clause issues with your diff down the road.

A solvent tank / Acid Dip process is a better route I think, as the grease is removed and the metal is clean.

If you have the outside blasted only seal up the housing really really well to prevent media from getting inside.

-dan

There was no oil or grease on the inside. It was dry as a bone and rusty and scaly. The axle ends really weren't that bad. The axles came out pretty easily as did the axle seals. I'll hit the axle seal and bearing ends with a cylinder hone just to clean them up a bit. It'll be good to go.
Posted By: pishta

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 06:18 AM

Run this though the rear end housing with a pool pump for a few hours...
Rust remover

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 08:53 AM

Go buy several cans of Easy Off oven cleaner and shoot it full inside and let it sit for several hours each time and then rinse it out, repeat as needed
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 02:19 PM

Quote:

Run this though the rear end housing with a pool pump for a few hours...
Rust remover

I agree that this and other similar products like Evaporust and Unrust will do a great job, however if he can get it done at a machine shop for $40.00 they are typically going to cost more to get the job done based on the size of the rear end housing and the amount of those products needed to do the job, hence my suggestion to use the home brewed vinigar mix instead.
Posted By: pishta

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 05:28 PM

Quote:

We found the Powerball winner!!!!! Priced one for an A lately? :-)

Re: cleaining the inside of a 8.75 housing - 12/03/12 06:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

We found the Powerball winner!!!!! Priced one for an A lately? :-)

It's interesting how people like to spend other's money. I'll happily take donations for a new one. But that ain't happening, so the next best is refurbishing this one. Once it's together, there'll be plenty of year of service left in this old housing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums