Moparts

I need a soldering iron recommendation...

Posted By: Quicksilver440

I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/25/12 09:01 PM

Can someone recommend a make/model of soldering iron for me?

I have a simple 20 watt pencil style iron now that is almost impossible to solder two wires together with. My main use I'm looking for is for making engine/EFI wiring harnesses (soldering wires together) Mostly splices of multiple 10-18 gauge wires, etc. Should I be looking for a high wattage pistol type gun? a workstation model? or?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/25/12 09:13 PM

Multiple splices of 10-18 ga wire.... For that sort of soldering I leave the soldering iron on the bench & grab my micro-torch... You need allot more heat than you'll get out of a soldering iron...

For normal soldering I use my Weller workstation... Cleaning & tinning the tip regularly helps allot..
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/25/12 09:18 PM

I just went thru this. I'd recommend finding a very large soldering iron (not a gun) or a small butane torch. The trick for me was to solder with NO wind and clean & tin the tip requently & use small clip on heat sinks that look sorta like nail clippers on either side to keep the heat from traveling & melting the insulation and getting the joint hot as quick as you hold it secure/TIGHT/steady & working with clean wiring strands all to avoid burning the wire dark which hinders heat transfer. EDIT missed the gauge you are working with yes you need a butane mini torch
Posted By: Paul_B

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/25/12 09:26 PM

I use a big soldering gun that's 200 watts for soldering large wire. I've never tried a mini torch.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/25/12 09:30 PM

Quote:

I use a big soldering gun that's 200 watts for soldering large wire. I've never tried a mini torch.

The only advantage to a big soldering iron is it tends to push the wires together but if you twist them together well the mini torch puts enough heat in quickly enough that it solders well without destroying the surrounding insulation...
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/25/12 09:46 PM

You want a torch with a very focused flame output or you'll melt too much of the insulation. It's doable and it works and I sometimes use it on wire that's thinner than I really should because it's so fast and works well.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/25/12 10:23 PM

I used a solder pot to tin the wires, then I have a good weller soldering iron that sets the temp to 650, the other method is to use solder sleeves, they are a piece of heat shrink with a band of solder on the inside. It seals and solders all in one action with a heat gun. Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FjjIVpk9U&feature=related
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 12:05 AM

Quote:

That's what I use.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 12:07 AM

I do have a butane mini-torch that I've never used for soldering wires...I've used it for copper piping, etc. I'll give it a try..thanks for the input.
Posted By: pishta

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 01:33 AM

Cheap ass HF 85W pistol with the blade tip. slide heat shrink down wire, push wires together and mesh strands, place iron under joint, pull trigger until solder flows from top of wires, about 5 seconds, release trigger, slide heat shrink over and hit with heat gun. 20W pencil is good for circuit boards no more. I use a little 2 aligator clip "helping hand" fixture to hold the wires together while I get solder tip under joint and feed solder from top, almost need 3 hands for it.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 01:49 AM

Weller 8200. Been using them since the 1960's. I have 3, one in the workshop, garage and spare (I use them every day) They are on ebay all the time. Radio Shack sells the tips. Buy a cheap Harbor Freight heat gun for heat shrink tubing.
Posted By: ahy

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 03:39 AM

I really prefer an iron over a gun. My 40w Weller handles up to 10 guage wire fine. Bigger than that I use a torch.
Posted By: therocks

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 04:46 AM

Mine I got from SnapOn like 25 years ago.Has tips that you can change.It was like 40 bucks then.Still works great and if a tip goes bad you just buy new ones.I even soldered a few pin holes in my 65s gas tank with it.Rocky
Posted By: m88mark

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 05:09 AM

Hey Rocky does your gun have a single point tip? My blue point gun burnt a hole in the side of the tip. It's a single point attachement.
Just woundered if they are still available. Guess I can't complain 35 yrs aint bad. Mark
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 05:50 AM

For splicing I use a method we had where I used to work called
mousing sp?

You take a few strands of the same wire you're
splicing and wrap it tightly around the joint, takes some practice but
helps keep the joint from moving as you solder.

Joe
Posted By: Commando1

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 03:08 PM

Quote:

For splicing I use a method we had where I used to work called
mousing sp?

You take a few strands of the same wire you're
splicing and wrap it tightly around the joint, takes some practice but
helps keep the joint from moving as you solder.

Joe

Brilliant. That's always my biggest problem. Thank you!
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 03:20 PM

I bought a butane gas soldering iron from snap-on. Its awesome, workes for almost anything but larger wires. I used it all the time when installing remote starters at the dealership, also used it on all my R/C truck work.

Attached picture 7477177-$(KGrHqZ,!pwFB,4zTr11BQYzZe2Udg~~60_35.jpg
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 03:45 PM

I have like 4 different sizes deppending on the work. 1 iron won't do everything.

I worked at job where we would have to replace soldered in IC chips on display boards 25 years ago, I've replaced hundreds of IC chips with a solder sucker and a low watt iron so not to burn the board. Then higher watt iron for soldering wires all the way to a torch for attaching eyelettes to 00 welding cable.

Brand never mattered to me, just watts.
Posted By: 360view

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 04:18 PM

Resistence soldering is a good trick to know

http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/soldering/instruct/rsinstruct.htm

In a nutshell you use a current to heat up the parts using their own electrical resistance.

Most welders will do this if you use carbon or tungsten rods as tips, but in a pinch just copper works. Solder will not stick to chrome plating which can also be useful.

There is an episode of "How its Made" TV where they make eyeglass frames using resistance soldering.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 05:45 PM

you want this type of soldering station for doing the type of work you are talking about .

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/weller/solder/wesd51.htm
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 06:00 PM

Quote:

I really prefer an iron over a gun. My 40w Weller handles up to 10 guage wire fine. Bigger than that I use a torch.

I've been soldering for about 35 years. A 40 WATT iron is all you need. Keep the tip clean with a wet sponge and coated with a thin layer of solder. Prep your wires by tinning them, (coat them with a thin layer of solder).

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 08:55 PM

M88 they were still avaliable 3 years ago thats the last time I worked.I always kept spares in my box.Seems the biggest ones burned on mine.I think there are 3 if not 4 sizes.Last ones I bought were like 5 bucks each.Rocky
Posted By: m88mark

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/26/12 09:37 PM

Thanks Rocky. Best gun I've ever used, well till the other day when the tip blew. Have a weller in the box, don't compare. Now to find a good SO trk, local guy's an a##. Bad thing about tool trks it all depends on the driver, you end up with one drawer of SO, one with MAC, one with MATCO. Nuff of my bitchin about route guys, thanks again Mark

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/27/12 01:06 PM

We had a great SO guy.He was there every week and even came to another shop I was at that was out of his territory.He always made a deal also especially if cash sale.The other Independent guy we had was great also.I have either SO or SK in my box.I bought some Sunex impact sockets also.For a cheap socket I used them for probally 20 years and only 1 cracked.Rocky

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/27/12 02:43 PM

OK. So, now I have all the different soldering tools mentioned and my soldering still sucks.
What kind of solder, then....
Posted By: astjp2

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/27/12 04:40 PM

sn63/pb37 is one standard of the industry. Tim
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/27/12 05:01 PM

Go to a swap meet in your area...find the oldest one you can find...with the spring holder..highest watt possible...and buy it...I have three wellers...one is a gun which is a PITA but it works for heavy gauge wires....I mainly do low voltage, LED, Alarm...so I have a dual Weller on one base...fat head and narrow head....I even bought a Coleman Cold Solder gun that works with batteries and keep it in the car in case I have to do something on the fly. Works well with 18ga and smaller wire

Posted By: convx4

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/27/12 11:25 PM

MY Big One is 300W.

Attached picture 7479213-11-27-12017(Medium).jpg
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/27/12 11:44 PM

Quote:

MY Big One is 300W.

okay...not that big...what are you soldering? Nuclear facility wiring?
Posted By: Todd

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/27/12 11:59 PM

Quote:

I bought a butane gas soldering iron from snap-on. Its awesome, workes for almost anything but larger wires. I used it all the time when installing remote starters at the dealership, also used it on all my R/C truck work.

That the same kit that I have.
Wouldn't trade it for anything
Perfect for auto wiring.
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/28/12 12:03 AM

Quote:

Weller 8200. Been using them since the 1960's. I have 3, one in the workshop, garage and spare (I use them every day) They are on ebay all the time. Radio Shack sells the tips. Buy a cheap Harbor Freight heat gun for heat shrink tubing.

I just recently stepped up to a Weller 8200 and love it. Dual heat range comes in handy. It can handle 12 ga. Haven't tried it on 10 ga. My 75W Craftman gun pretty much petered out on 14 ga.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/28/12 12:03 AM

Quote:

I bought a butane gas soldering iron from snap-on. Its awesome, works for almost anything but larger wires. I used it all the time when installing remote starters at the dealership, also used it on all my R/C truck work.

That's what I've used on a LOT of wiring, big cables get the propane torch.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/28/12 02:35 AM

I find that the propane torch is easier on the insulation than a gun because it heats the wires up much quicker. I have been soldering for nearly forty years and rarely use the gun, just a pencil iron or the torch.

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/28/12 01:55 PM

Quote:

sn63/pb37 is one standard of the industry. Tim

Thanks.
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/28/12 02:27 PM

I have used a variety of soldering tools over the years but now use a Weller WTCPL soldering station or a Hakko 926 adjustable, 400-900 degree soldering station, both have changeable tip sizes,the Weller has tips for different temps. For outside work I use an old Wen model 199 soldering gun I've had since the 60's.
The Cadillac of soldering stations is the Metcal, but bring your money!
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: I need a soldering iron recommendation... - 11/28/12 09:36 PM

Hello, If I have plenty of room, ie. on the bench, I use a butane torch. very fast and efficient. I just bought a smaller butane iron from Matco yesterday. PN#: PPSK. It was on sale for $62.00. I also have a Snap-On butane iron. I do not like it at all. Doesn't seem to get very hot. The Matco is much better. Jeff
© 2024 Moparts Forums