Moparts

Torque Converter Screw

Posted By: CHRGR69

Torque Converter Screw - 11/25/12 05:50 PM

69 Charger 440. Have a slight vibration at idle, and while checking the converter screws, not only was one of them loose, it was a Heli-Coil gone bad. Any suggestions on a repair?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Torque Converter Screw - 11/25/12 07:03 PM

Assuming you're trying to repair w/converter INSTALLED I would be looking at a Timesert instead of a heli-coil. Much stronger.

Seems like you won't have enough access without pulling the tranny though.

Re: Torque Converter Screw - 11/25/12 07:35 PM

Quote:

Assuming you're trying to repair w/converter INSTALLED I would be looking at a Timesert instead of a heli-coil. Much stronger.

Seems like you won't have enough access without pulling the tranny though.

I think I can get it done through the inspection plate opening. Its a cool product. How do you determine which kit to buy??
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Torque Converter Screw - 11/25/12 09:56 PM

I Have tapped to the next oversize with no problems. Not enough weight difference to cause a balance problem either. The 5/16 converter bolt head is 9/16 as is a 3/8 bolt. Grind some of the head face to clear the block webbing.

Re: Torque Converter Screw - 11/27/12 08:48 PM

Quote:

I Have tapped to the next oversize with no problems. Not enough weight difference to cause a balance problem either. The 5/16 converter bolt head is 9/16 as is a 3/8 bolt. Grind some of the head face to clear the block webbing.

Yep much easier. So tapping UP to 3/8"? Any thoughts where I can scavenge this bolt off the car from?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Torque Converter Screw - 11/27/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep much easier. So tapping UP to 3/8"?

Fine thread and be careful you don't punch a hole in the convertor .

Have you tried to install a new helicoil of the current size ?

Re: Torque Converter Screw - 11/27/12 09:12 PM

No have not tried another Heli-Coil. Don't want the same issue though
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Torque Converter Screw - 11/27/12 10:43 PM

Quote:

No have not tried another Heli-Coil. Don't want the same issue though

if the helicoil was installed properly the first time there would be no issue to begin with ... i suppose ???
© 2024 Moparts Forums