Moparts

Bad Lifter and Carbon On Valves After 2000 Miles??

Posted By: bobs66440

Bad Lifter and Carbon On Valves After 2000 Miles?? - 11/22/12 10:35 PM

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I had a lifter bleeding down over night on my fresh rebuild, so I yanked the intake and found the offending lifter. It is VERY easy to push down, probably 1/4", while the lifter is on the base of the lobe. That one is obviously bad. The thing is, there are two more on the same side that I can push down, maybe 1/16". All the others are rock hard. No movement at all. Is this normal, or are they getting ready to fail also? I pulled the plugs and they look fine. Some are light brown, Some look almost unused...

Also, looking in the intake ports I see some oily carbon deposits on the valves. It sure seems like a lot for only having 2000 miles on a fresh rebuild with new Stealth heads. Are the seals gone or is some buildup normal??

Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Bad Lifter and Carbon On Valves After 2000 Miles?? - 11/23/12 01:52 AM

Bad lifters = ticking noise

Bad valve stem seals = major carbon/
build up like you have.

You know what to fix.. oil
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Bad Lifter and Carbon On Valves After 2000 Miles?? - 11/23/12 02:54 AM

go to a small mechanical cam and be done with the hydraulic lifter blues.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Bad Lifter and Carbon On Valves After 2000 Miles?? - 11/23/12 03:09 AM

Quote:

Also, looking in the intake ports I see some oily carbon deposits on the valves. It sure seems like a lot for only having 2000 miles on a fresh rebuild

Oil might be getting pulled in thru the lower edge of the valley pan metal gasket up into 1 or more of the intake ports. Improper ring breakin could also be a culprit. Read "breakin secrets" (5 minute read) at www.mototuneusa.com for more info on that subject

Re: Bad Lifter and Carbon On Valves After 2000 Miles?? - 11/23/12 03:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Also, looking in the intake ports I see some oily carbon deposits on the valves. It sure seems like a lot for only having 2000 miles on a fresh rebuild

Oil might be getting pulled in thru the lower edge of the valley pan metal gasket up into 1 or more of the intake ports. Improper ring breakin could also be a culprit. Read "breakin secrets" (5 minute read) at www.mototuneusa.com for more info on that subject

I had the problem of oil seeping through the intake gasket once before, so when I built the motor I made sure it was well sealed. When I pulled it apart, there was no evidence of seepage so I think it was ok.

Regarding the ring break-in, I'm not sure how that would cause carbon on the valves. The plugs look real good, there is no blow-by and virtually no oil usage.
Posted By: Swedcharger67

Re: Bad Lifter and Carbon On Valves After 2000 Miles?? - 11/23/12 10:07 AM

Could the cam overlap be contributing to the deposits?

Re: Bad Lifter and Carbon On Valves After 2000 Miles?? - 11/23/12 01:11 PM

Hi Martin,

Hmmm, I'm not sure how the cam overlap would contribute...
© 2024 Moparts Forums