Moparts

Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator?

Posted By: michaelphbarnett

Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/19/12 09:28 PM

Should this black stuff be coming out of my voltage regulator?

Attached picture 7468288-VoltageRegulator_d.jpg
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/19/12 09:32 PM

No. Looks like it was overheated. Could be the rust and the heat taking the paint off. Change it.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/19/12 11:23 PM

Be sure it has a good ground. The only thing that grounds these are the mount bolts. I think they lose ground through over the years and overheat.Scrape the back side and a place on the firewall.
Posted By: TheBlueBeast

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/20/12 02:33 AM

No but many Chevy guys thinks it is correct.

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/20/12 02:36 AM

Chevy guys wouldn't even know it's leaking, with their dumb black engine compartments regardless what color their car is.
Posted By: TheBlueBeast

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/20/12 02:38 AM

Quote:

Chevy guys wouldn't even know it's leaking, with their dumb black engine compartments regardless what color their car is.

Hey Tom,
Mrs TBB just complimented the AMX.

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/20/12 02:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Tom,
Mrs TBB just complimented the AMX.

Tell her Thanks, she has a great eye.

After all, it DOES have blue on it,

and no green.

Attached picture 7468833-inthepits.jpg
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/20/12 10:34 AM

Seen that happen to an Orange Box a few times...You need to make a clean chassis ground with stainless cable. If you can, put a spacer behind it, the ECU's had a dog leg spacer on 72 & Up. Maybe you can make one out of galvanized steel and make it look better
Posted By: 74chargr

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/20/12 01:29 PM

FYI you shouldn't use Stainless on electrical connections. It is resistive and can cause problems. If you want to get fancy use some nickel plated wire as that won't corrode and the nickel is conductive.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/20/12 04:26 PM

I dunno, never had a problem...I have one from the Starter to the engine, starter to chassis, engine to chassis...still on there after 12 yrs and never had any grounding issues

Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Should This Black Stuff Be Coming Out Of My Voltage Regulator? - 11/20/12 07:35 PM

That is not uncommon. Ma Mopar filled the back of the ECU's and Voltage Regulator's with an epoxy like material to protect and seal the circuitry.

Often the material degrades with age and oozes down the firewall. It seems to be related to time more than anything else because I have seen them do that on cars that haven't even been running in 20 years.

Eventually the circuits will be exposed and fail but that may take years.

I'd replace it to make sure that goop doesn't make any more of a mess.

Attached picture 7469721-1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums