Moparts

Thank you Fed-Ex!

Posted By: 70Cuda383

Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 07:57 PM

well, it finally happened to me! after sending probably 200 packages over the last 5 or 6 years, I finally had one damaged.

I bought a Viper spec T-56 off of a viper forum, and apparently in transit, it got dropped. hard.

I found this immediately upon opening the box:

that's the "front adapter plate" or "mid-plate" depending on what source you're looking at.

various transmission shops that claim to specialize in TKO/T-56s have told me they can't get that one, they can get a GM piece, but not the viper piece.

The dealer can't even find that piece in their parts look-up catalog.

Tremec themselves told me "sorry, we don't have that"

So... should I be all that worried about it? that's where it bolts onto the bell housing, it's not cracked in a way that would cause it to leak fluid. Should I take it to a local shop and have them grind the crack and re-weld the case up? it's cast aluminum, can you tig weld cast aluminum?

or should I not worry about it and run it as-is?
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 08:01 PM

From what I see in the pic the crack is small and not in a major stress area, I'd say run it as is.

If you're worried that much, get it welded.
Posted By: VincentVega

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 08:03 PM

Yes, that can be fixed by an experienced welder: heliarc perhaps. Also, yes, I would get it done. No one wants to bolt up a broken parts. You'd feel funny forever after

Personally speaking, I know how I would fix that. First, I'd run a drill through the case where the crack terminates. that should prevent it from travelling. Then, I'd probably just prep the crack itself for weld and build it all back up and fill it in. I don't think I'd even try to straighten it as that could add further stress. As long as the mating surface is true (and that could be brought back with sandpaper and a straightedge if it wasn't).

that's a bummer. I got a quarter panel in that had a nice big dent in it that wasn't there before shipping. been there

always demand crating + shipping insurance.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 08:04 PM

So sorry about the problem. Trans come in a cardboard box?

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 08:12 PM

I shipped it to myself -- I bought it, and had it shipped on my account so I knew that I was paying for exact shipping, vs padding someone's profit margin.

and yes, I had insurance added to cover damages, so hopefully, with some adequate documentation -- pictures of damage, invoices for replacement parts, etc. getting reimbursement is not difficult.

the transmission was wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap, and then that was wrapped in a cardboard honey comb material, which was then wrapped in stretch wrap to hold it all together. then it was rolled up with 4 layers of cardboard, with end covers added on, and again, secured with several layers of stretch wrap.

When I ordered a TKO-600 several years ago, it came in a cardboard box.
Posted By: VincentVega

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 08:13 PM

Yeah, I get the feeling that fedex likes to take random packages and drop a pallet of milling machine parts on them.

FWIW, I'll not be using FedEx freight again any time soon. The standard service... maybe.

One of my sources told me they like Unishipper.

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 08:19 PM

wood is good for heavy stuff like your finding out, sorry about your trouble again.

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 08:25 PM

Quote:

wood is good for heavy stuff like your finding out, sorry about your trouble again.

wood can be broken too. I've seen forklifts punch right through a wooden crate. if the shipping company wants to damage the part in shipping, they'll have no problem doing it, even if you wrap the thing is multiple layers of kevlar topped with ceramic shields off the space shuttle.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 08:51 PM

If you call em up and tell them it was damaged..they will swing by (it would be better if you actually went to the station that did the dropping off) because the driver will take it away himself...If you can get an estimate of the work needed and take it to the station, give them a copy of the estimate and tell them that each package has $100 insurance on it, so you would like to fix this item with the money your company owes me for the damaged item. It can go one of two ways...they will give you the money to repair it...or they can offer you $100 (unless you insured it for more voluntarily) and they will give you that in return.

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 08:55 PM

Quote:

If you call em up and tell them it was damaged..they will swing by (it would be better if you actually went to the station that did the dropping off) because the driver will take it away himself...If you can get an estimate of the work needed and take it to the station, give them a copy of the estimate and tell them that each package has $100 insurance on it, so you would like to fix this item with the money your company owes me for the damaged item. It can go one of two ways...they will give you the money to repair it...or they can offer you $100 (unless you insured it for more voluntarily) and they will give you that in return.

Trust me, it's insured for a LOT more than $100 I'm at the point now where I'm trying to get an estimate together for replacement parts, but this one part is hard to find, nobody has it let alone can tell me a price for one. If I cant find a price for a replacement part, then I'll resort to getting it repaired and using the bill in the damage claim.

but right now, I'm just trying to see if it's a crack that's worth fixing or not, as in, will the part just fail again later, or is that a non-stressed area and I shouldn't worry about it too much

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

wood can be broken too. I've seen forklifts punch right through a wooden crate. if the shipping company wants to damage the part in shipping, they'll have no problem doing it, even if you wrap the thing is multiple layers of kevlar topped with ceramic shields off the space shuttle.

OK argue that wood is not as strong and not needed.

If it's professionally packed on a pallet, then the dock workers can move it much easier and these things don't happen. Do you think it is easy to move a box with a transmission in it? Pallets make it much safer for the dock worker and the part that is being shipped when it is heavy like a transmission is.
Posted By: 360904

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 09:43 PM

Terry Neer on Industrial parkway can fix (weld) that. o, what about roosters

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK argue that wood is not as strong and not needed.

If it's professionally packed on a pallet, then the dock workers can move it much easier and these things don't happen. Do you think it is easy to move a box with a transmission in it? Pallets make it much safer for the dock worker and the part that is being shipped when it is heavy like a transmission is.

Stick to the topic/question at hand. I wasn't asking about how to ship something without receiving damage, but that seems to be the question you're trying to answer, despite nobody asking that question. I never said wood wasn't stronger, only that even if I did ship it freight on a pallet that it could have still been damaged. Tremec sends transmissions via ground in a cardboard box all the time. This package was nowhere near the size or weight limits of fed-ex ground rules, (limit of 150 lbs to ship via ground). This transmission was well packaged, and marked "heavy" IAW fed-ex policy. And as extra precaution, the ends were marked "no load" the sides were marked "fragile" and labeled with arrows that said "this side up"

Bottom line, someone was careless in handling/moving the box, and likely dropped it. If it was in a wood crate on a pallet, someone just as careless could have still damaged it.

But thanks for the input in answering a question nobody asked. I'll be sure to file it away for future reference.

Now, back on topic, thanks Dennis, I'll get ahold of you for that guys phone number.

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 10:53 PM

Yup your right, sorry for getting off topic.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/15/12 11:50 PM

Qualifications: I am a mechanical engineer by education and by temperament, with 30+ years experience in maintaining interesting devices.

I would suggest you clean it thoroughly and then check it for distortion. Then, have it TIG welded (also known as Heliarc) by an expert. There may be some thermal distortion so the piece needs to be checked again for flatness after the welding, and any warping corrected. I think you're looking at a couple of hundred if there is a decent welder in your area.

After the welding and any necessary flattening, probably by machining, the piece will be good to go.

Good Luck!
R.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/16/12 12:15 PM

My buddy could weld that easy.After he finishs you probally couldnt tell it was cracked.I saw him do a set of Harley cases that had a big hole in them.Looked better than new and were still going strong after probally 20 years.Rocky
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/17/12 04:42 AM

The only time I had something damaged in shipping repairing it wasn't an option. If I wanted to make a claim they kept the item and paid me the insured value, if I didn't want to do that I just got to keep the broken item.

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/17/12 01:38 PM

well, I submitted the claim, but only for the repair cost, not the full amount. I have a fed-ex account, and when logged into the account, I can file a claim, and either file it as a total loss, or a partial loss, and I have the option to enter in a "repair cost"

If they pay out for a repair cost on the damages, I highly doubt they're going to take the transmission away from me.

I did have them return a package, I shipped an ornament one time. half way across the country, they shattered the ornament, and turned the box around and sent it back to me "damaged, undeliverable" I filed a claim on that one and they paid out no questions asked, AND let me keep the broken shards of glass.
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/17/12 06:16 PM

Since it is just an adapter plate and doesn't have to keep fluid from leaking I'd just stop drill it or grind out the whole cracked area
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/18/12 01:56 AM

clean it weld it..... thik u wll be ok, an im sure fed ex said they did not do that
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Thank you Fed-Ex! - 11/18/12 04:15 AM

UPS would want the part if they paid on the claim. To me FedEx is the best with claims you should be good. I bet the metals tech guys could fix this easily.
© 2024 Moparts Forums