Moparts

OD trans.swap question

Posted By: Rosco

OD trans.swap question - 11/16/08 11:29 PM

What's needed when switching from an A833 to an overdrive 833?
Posted By: batt2rm

Re: OD trans.swap question - 11/17/08 12:29 AM

Nothing is needed other than the 3/4 shift level needs to be reversed 180 degrees. The linkage arm may need to be lengthened. The only other issue may be the size of the input shaft bearing retainer. If memory serves me the OD retainer is about 5.16" in diameter. You may have a 4.80 or smaller depending on your tranny. You may be able to use the input retainer from your 833.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: OD trans.swap question - 11/17/08 12:33 AM

Quote:

Nothing is needed other than the 3/4 shift level needs to be reversed 180 degrees. The linkage arm may need to be lengthened. The only other issue may be the size of the input shaft bearing retainer. If memory serves me the OD retainer is about 5.16" in diameter. You may have a 4.80 or smaller depending on your tranny. You may be able to use the input retainer from your 833.

that pretty much sums it up , BUT if you have a smallblock you will need to get a smallblock OD bellhousing , if a big block the reatiner for a big block 23 spline trans will bolt to the OD trans directly .
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: OD trans.swap question - 11/17/08 01:00 AM

I think clutch forks on O.D. transmissions are longer than non-O.D. setups, but if you can get a matched O.D. BH (with the 5.125" bore hole) and clutch fork, do it.
Posted By: dgc333

Re: OD trans.swap question - 11/17/08 02:27 PM

I am using a standard sb A-body clutch fork with an OD bellhousing and A833OD tranny. Works just fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums