Moparts

How to get 340 right side exhaust off?

Posted By: BDW

How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/14/08 07:44 PM

I'm gussing this shouldn't be that hard! I have all the nuts off, and the stud in the 1st spot (closet to radiator). But I can't remove the manifold, it hits the fenderwell by the #2 stud.

What's the trick?

Thx

Attached picture 4812853-100_1086.JPG
Posted By: JBurch

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/14/08 07:48 PM

Pull the other studs......
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/14/08 07:59 PM

loosen the motor mounts (& whatever else needs to be loosened) & jack the front of the eng up just far enough to slide it out.
Posted By: formula_s

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/14/08 08:02 PM

Quote:

loosen the motor mounts (& whatever else needs to be loosened) & jack the front of the eng up just far enough to slide it out.

That looks like a b or e body looking at the shock tower.is the engine sitting center on the k frame. There should be enough clearance for it just slide off.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/14/08 08:11 PM

Pull that stud out, the rest might clear with little bit of angle.

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/14/08 08:14 PM

It's a Challenger. It would be very difficult to remove that stud. It doesn't stick out.

It seems like the motor should go down. I would have to raise the motor pretty high to get past the interference.

Where could I safely put a jack to raise the motor if that is the only solution?

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/14/08 08:17 PM

Quote:

Where could I safely put a jack to raise the motor if that is the only solution?

A bottle jack & a small piece of wood under one of the oil pan bolts in the front
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/17/08 01:03 AM

Watch your clearance between the top of the bell housing and the firewall, that will probably be your limiting factor if you've dropped the head pipes off.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/17/08 01:21 AM

maybe try jacking up just that side ???
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/17/08 01:26 AM

i thought studs are only on the outsides of the mani....
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/17/08 02:04 AM

Quote:

i thought studs are only on the outsides of the mani....

that spot uses the long nut , so it would be a stud also
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/17/08 02:10 AM

long sleeve nut, and if the nut is seized to the stud, the stud comes out also, extending the problem by another 1/2" (pardon the pun) .
Posted By: mrpatel

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/17/08 02:33 AM

Go easy, I ended up snapping 2 and ended up pulling my heads to drill and tap. Take your time, you'll get it, I would suggest lots of penetrating fluid (heat it up first, then spraying it will also help to suck in the WD-40 if needed).

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/17/08 02:50 AM

I unbolt a 1/2 turn then go back the other way a skosh then unbolt another 1/2 turn like when you are cuttng threads with a tap. this has kept me from snapping many bolts/studs
Posted By: Menzaero

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/17/08 03:42 AM

I just did this on my 70 Dart Swinger to replace a blown head gasket. Here is what I did to get the exhaust manifold off.

1. Unbolt the head pipe from the manifold.
2. Loosen the head pipe from the manifold on the drivers side but leave the bolt and nut connected.
3. Loosen both motor mounts but leave the nut on the bolt.
4. Remove the transmission cross-member and put a bottle jack under the transmission to support.(727 Transmission on my car)
5.Remove distributor, carb, linkage, upper and lower radiator hoses, alternator, radiator/shroud and intake manifold heater and waterpump hose.
6. Remove hood of car.
7. With a cherry picker or other lifting method, raise engine so that the passenger side lifts at more of an angle than the drivers side.
8. Once you have clearance, remove the bolt and drop the manifold down to clear the head.
9. Remove intake manifold and head.
10. Lift exhaust manifold out of the engine compartment.

I like the idea above about jacking on one of the pan bolts with a wood block spacer, however I am not sure if I could get the exhaust manifold out of the Darts engine compartment without also having the head off the engine.

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/17/08 11:56 PM

Thx for the replies. I was able to wiggle it off without moving the motor. I had to remove the rear studs. With these off, I was able to rotate the exhaust up toward the front of the car, and then wiggle the exhaust off that #2 stud.

It really doesn't need to be this hard. Seems like the studs are longer than necessary.

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/18/08 12:44 AM

Quote:

Thx for the replies. it doesn't need to be this hard. Seems like the studs are longer than necessary.

are you ready for a set of tti's
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: How to get 340 right side exhaust off? - 11/18/08 03:47 AM

What I do on my car is remove passenger's side motor mount bolt, loosen driver's side motor mount bolt (don't remove bolt), then jack the motor up with a floor jack and wood under the oil pan. The passenger's side will rise allowing the manifold to come off.
© 2024 Moparts Forums