Moparts

Right brake problems?

Posted By: RylisPro

Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 05:47 PM

I just got an alignment but my car veers to the right slightly if you let go of the steering wheel as you drive straight.
It also swerves to the right when you brake.

I am guessing the right brake is catching the rotor slightly more than the left.
is there any way to adjust the right brake to bite less?
I have stock front disc brakes on an Ebody

thanks
Posted By: Reggie

Re: Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 06:00 PM

No adjustment for disc brakes. Sounds like the passenger side caliper is sticking. It could be the caliper sticking on the caliper adapter or a bad caliper cylinder. It could also be a trashed brake hose or a crimped hard line blocking fluid flow.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 06:16 PM

Swap the two front tires and see what happens afterwards. You may have a tire pull.

Although many will argue and say no, yes rear brakes can affect brake pull esp when you have axle lube or grease leaking. The lube actually makes it grab more to a certain extent.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 06:22 PM

Quote:

Although many will argue and say no, yes rear brakes can affect brake pull esp when you have axle lube or grease leaking. The lube actually makes it grab more to a certain extent.

i have had that happen to me. so Iw wont argue. I'll agree

Re: Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 06:39 PM

My front tires are new & unidirectional so I would to remount them to see if I have tire pull.

Upon inspection of the front passenger brake, my pads are still thick and the rotor spins freely, but you have to apply a small amount of effort to move them.

Also the rotor has a glossy smooth texture to it, which I heard was wrong since the brake pad needs a semi rough surface to bite to right?

I havent checked the passenger rear drum brake yet. What should I look for?
thanks
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 06:51 PM

Quote:

My front tires are new & unidirectional so I would to remount them to see if I have tire pull.

Upon inspection of the front passenger brake, my pads are still thick and the rotor spins freely, but you have to apply a small amount of effort to move them.

They are radials, so you should be able to just swap them, go aroung the block and see if it is a concern at all. If the pull goes away or pulls in the other direction you will know what to do next.

Quote:

Also the rotor has a glossy smooth texture to it, which I heard was wrong since the brake pad needs a semi rough surface to bite to right?

Sounds normal compare it to the other side if it is the same then no biggie. make sure your strut rods are tight and in good condition too.

Quote:

I havent checked the passenger rear drum brake yet. What should I look for?
thanks

Normal check, see if there is something abnormal about it. Check the adjustment of both rears. look for signs of fluid leaks.

Edit Forgot... raise your front end off the ground and start up the car, see and make sure the powersteering is not bias to one side and causing the pull.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 07:56 PM

I would call the alignment shop & ask to bring it back in. Smooth glaze on rotors is normal. You want your left side to bite more. The caliper might be sticking on the dr side. I had my 65 dart aligned with 180lbs of barbells in the dr seat & a half tank of gas & it tracks straight when I take my hands off the wheel. How was it acting before you had it aligned? EDIT discs do take an amount of effort to spin the wheels thats normal & if you get the front end off the ground & have a helper in the dr seat playing with the pedal as you see how much force is being put to each wheel as you spin them by hand you might see what the hangup is but I would say replace the caliper for the brake pull issue. good luck.

Re: Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 08:07 PM

I had to get an alignment because the camber was way off and I had uneven tire wear but had no brake problems
gonna go and take it back to the alignment shop just to be sure

thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 08:13 PM

If there were no brake problems before that changes things. yes it's on the alignment shop.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Right brake problems? - 11/14/08 08:26 PM

A greasy rotor could cause that problem.
© 2024 Moparts Forums