Moparts

2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations

Posted By: DCM71cuda

2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 01:54 AM

My parents have a 2000 Durango, 5.9 engine.

When you set the cruise control, it maintains speed, but the rpm varies constantly; as if the throttle is continuously being applied and released. What could the problem be? Maybe a vac. leak somewhere? Any help appreciated
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 02:17 AM

My ex's did the same thing. Never did figure out why.

-Daty
Posted By: ahy

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 03:03 AM

Does it sort of act like it is about to kick down then doesen't? It is likley the throttle position sensor failing. Its a fairly common problem and pretty easy to repair. My 1'st gen Durango had the same problem, mostly with cruise set. A new TPS cleared it up.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 03:09 AM

My 2000 R/T did the same thing when I first got it. It kinda acted like the lockup was releasing then reapplying. Tach would move a couple hundred RPM. TPS was the problem.

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 03:23 AM

Quote:

My 2000 R/T did the same thing when I first got it. It kinda acted like the lockup was releasing then reapplying. Tach would move a couple hundred RPM. TPS was the problem.

That is kinda what it seems like. May have to try replacing that.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 03:38 AM

Sister's '04 Jeep GC did the same thing for a long time. TC would go in and out of lockup also, with associated jump in rpms. TPS finally got so bad that it threw a code. Apparently, there's some threshold value of failure it has to exceed before it throws a code. TPS was pretty cheap at RockAuto.com. $28 or so, IIRC. New TPS fixed it.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 05:40 AM

Some years also had a PCM flash to help with that. Ron
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 12:31 PM

If the RPM is fluctuating without the vehicle speed actually changing, then it sounds like either it's shifting in and out of OD, or the TC is locking/unlocking.

the PCM is programmed to lock/unlock the TC whenever you lift on the throttle, so if the TPS is bad like the other suggested, then the computer is struggling to see what the throttle is doing, so it's locking/unlocking the torque converter, which is what's giving you the RPM fluctuations.
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 06:04 PM

TPS should take care of that, if TC is coming in and out and you have to set CC every time ck stop lite switch. TPS also cause idle fluctuation of 50-100 rpm.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/17/12 06:30 PM

When mine was doing it I even took it to a Dodge dealer and asked them if it could be the TPS. I was told no, and they'd never seen another one doing it.

I perused the Dakota-Durango board for about 3 minutes and found out it is a very well known issues with Gen III Dakota/Durangos.

My buddy even had a V-6 Gen III doing it.

Re: 2000 Durango - cruise control rpm fluctuations - 10/18/12 09:19 PM

We changed the TPS and that fixed it.

Thanks for the help.

© 2024 Moparts Forums