Moparts

Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue.

Posted By: TimS

Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 11:44 AM

Anyone have heat soak issues with their Edelbrocks. I put a new 1406 on my 69 Bee and have hard start issues with it when hot. I took off a Carter Comp AFB and had no issues with that. Initially I put it directly onto the manifold but have since added a 1/4 inch spacer to help to try and eleviate the problem.
Posted By: rapom

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 12:10 PM

Just about everybody with an edelbrock has the problem. You will need to buy an electric fuel pump to prime your carb before you start your car. Do a search on moparts as there have been many ways to solve the problem.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 12:36 PM

Quote:

Just about everybody with an edelbrock has the problem. You will need to buy an electric fuel pump to prime your carb before you start your car. Do a search on moparts as there have been many ways to solve the problem.

Not me, but I use a victor jr 340 intake manifold with no heat risers. My 1405 sit's right on the manifold and does not boil the gas and I have driven it alot in 110 degree temps.
I also use a stock mechanical fuel pump with a hemi vapor separator bolted to the fuel pump with a return line.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 12:39 PM

""Not me, but I use a victor jr 340 intake manifold with no heat risers.""

If you have an intake with the heat crossover open, this adds allot of heat to the top of the engine which radiates upward to the carb body.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 12:51 PM

Had same issue, this cured it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9266/

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 12:58 PM

That 1406 is lean from the factory which will cause your car to run warmer, the 1405 is richer from the factory.

Richen yours up, I'm sure it will help with the heat soak.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 01:40 PM

best thing I have found that works with my 600 with alum intake was the 4-hole stacked heat dissapator. I used 2 kits to make a 1" 4-hole spacer. stacks up gasket/plate/gasket/plate/gasket/carb

I blocked off the heat cross over at intake gaskets and now all of the heat soak problems are gone, no gas perking/flooding/hard starts/reprimeing.

I can drive 40 miles and not be able to touch the intake but a few seconds,the cab body is luke warm at best.

I also use this same style heat disapator for the spredbore q-jet on the stock cast iron intake on my SB. the 1" 4-hole adds the best lowend torque gain over the 2" 4-hole on my junk while keeping the carb cool.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 01:46 PM

Quote:

""Not me, but I use a victor jr 340 intake manifold with no heat risers.""

If you have an intake with the heat crossover open, this adds allot of heat to the top of the engine which radiates upward to the carb body.

And that ramcharger air cleaner engulfing the top of the intake doesn't help I'm sure.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 01:53 PM

Quote:

Anyone have heat soak issues with their Edelbrocks. I put a new 1406 on my 69 Bee and have hard start issues with it when hot. I took off a Carter Comp AFB and had no issues with that. Initially I put it directly onto the manifold but have since added a 1/4 inch spacer to help to try and eleviate the problem.

Seems more like it's an ebrock carb issue since most everyone is experiencing it.

Why did you remove the Carter Comp ?

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 02:17 PM

I run a stock air cleaner, it helps keep the noise and evaporation down. imo
Posted By: GreenBird

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 06:26 PM

This is the first summer I had my car running but I have not had the problem. I have an Edelbrock 1813 car, performer intake, 440 motor stroked to 500. To try to head off the problem, I ran a return fuel line, tried to keep the fuel lines away from the headers, and used this heat insulator gasket.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 07:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Seems more like it's an ebrock carb issue since most everyone is experiencing it.

Why did you remove the Carter Comp ?

The Carter Comp needed a rebuild. I've had it since the mid 90's. It's been great but was starting to have problems with it at the Monster Mopar in Indy last weekend. I decided to buy a new Edelbrock. I've got a 750 on my 68 Bee and don't seem to have the issue but I've got the original little round air cleaner on it too. I ran the Carter back on the 68 after I rebuilt it last night and just got back form the James Dean Festival in Fairmount. It ran great there so I may swap it back on my 69.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/28/12 07:30 PM

I cured all of my Edelbrock 1406 issues by unbolting it and installing a Holley 650 DP. Problems solved. Sold the Edelbrock to a friend and never looked back.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 01:02 AM

Quote:

I'll give that a shot. Does "O" Reilly have that? Jegs?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 01:55 AM

I have a 318 dd 65 dart with a streetmaster intake aluminum with a thick ~3/8" FelPro base gasket & my beloved 1406 has never shown a hint of hot soak/evaporation/hard starting even in the dog days of summer when I've (on rare occaisions because it's 10 cents cheaper) ran a tank of gasahol (E10 ethanol). iirc I put in a hot stat 205? when I put it together but it seems to run cooler than that & my engine compartment is open (small air cleaner/no accessories) if that makes a big difference. The deciding factor (in my case) I believe is that the heat riser is non op
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 02:04 AM

Quote:

I traded all of my Edelbrock 1406 problems for Holley 650 DP problems.

There you go.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 02:26 AM

Quote:

I cured all of my Edelbrock 1406 issues by unbolting it and installing a Holley 650 DP. Problems solved. Sold the Edelbrock to a friend and never looked back.

I'm not throwing in the towel on my Edelbrock. It functions on the same concept as the Carter and I have had real good luck with those. I have had lots of Holleys and they have their quirks too based on the application.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 02:38 AM

I used a wood laminate spacer and solved my issues.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 05:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There you go.

Hardly. I've had ZERO problems with my Holley. Why? I run two fuel filters. I fought and fought and fought to avoid swapping to a Holley. My former co-worker kept telling me to do it. When I finally did, I gained a TON of throttle response, gobs of torque and HP which translated into .22 and 4 MPH in the 1/4 mile with no other changes.

Your next thought is probably going to be "Yeah, but you lost mileage." Nope. Gets the same exact mileage.

I've since gotten a friend to swap out his Carter for a Holley on his 340. It's like a different car. He loves the power.

Also, the old wives tale about the power valve blowing out only applies to ancient Holleys. All new ones have check valves that prevent that.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 12:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There you go.

Hardly. I've had ZERO problems with my Holley. Why? I run two fuel filters. I fought and fought and fought to avoid swapping to a Holley. My former co-worker kept telling me to do it. When I finally did, I gained a TON of throttle response, gobs of torque and HP which translated into .22 and 4 MPH in the 1/4 mile with no other changes.

Your next thought is probably going to be "Yeah, but you lost mileage." Nope. Gets the same exact mileage.

I've since gotten a friend to swap out his Carter for a Holley on his 340. It's like a different car. He loves the power.

Also, the old wives tale about the power valve blowing out only applies to ancient Holleys. All new ones have check valves that prevent that.

I been running Edelbrocks for years, my 750 since 1988. The 600 since 97, zero problems and I bet it get's way hotter here, zero heat soak issues. If you are having a loss of power you ain't tuning it right. In one of the recent Car Craft's they had a big shoot out comparing carbs, the information is interesting, read it.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 12:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There you go.

I been running Edelbrocks for years, my 750 since 1988. The 600 since 97, zero problems and I bet it get's way hotter here, zero heat soak issues. If you are having a loss of power you ain't tuning it right. In one of the recent Car Craft's they had a big shoot out comparing carbs, the information is interesting, read it.

So, making a long story short, what were the shoot out results from Car Craft?

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 03:40 PM

Not much of a difference between the carbs once they did a basic tune (jets and maybe power valves). Out of the box there was a larger variance. The edelbrocks were leaner at cruise than the Holleys, but booster design varied the Holley's. So many variables that could be tweaked with a more serious tune (air bleeds, booster types, etc). Basically, it boiled down to this, not enough difference to make a recommendation based on the observed data.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1210_seven_budget_carburetors_tested/viewall.html

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 03:55 PM

Quote:

I gained a TON of throttle response, gobs of torque and HP which translated into .22 and 4 MPH in the 1/4 mile with no other changes.

The edlebrock wasn't tuned properly if it was the same CFM rating .
Posted By: 383man

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/29/12 05:59 PM

I had small problem of fuel boiling in my carb and sometimes after a very hot start it would flood and I would have to keep the pedal on the floor to get it started and then get moving to cool it down some. Its because of the cheap pump gas fuel that they added more ethanal to this year as I have never had this problem until this year and I have run this same basic fuel system for years. Oh and my carb is an 850 DP. I already had a 1/2" phenolic spacer so I added a heat shield below the carb and actually put a cool can back on the car. I only use it it very hot humid weather but I will throw an ice pack in the cool can when I cruise on them very hot days and I have not had the problem at all anymore. And my eng never overheats as it will get up to 190 to 200 tops on even the most brutal hot days. Ron

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 11:26 AM

Quote:

Not much of a difference between the carbs once they did a basic tune (jets and maybe power valves). Out of the box there was a larger variance. The edelbrocks were leaner at cruise than the Holleys, but booster design varied the Holley's. So many variables that could be tweaked with a more serious tune (air bleeds, booster types, etc). Basically, it boiled down to this, not enough difference to make a recommendation based on the observed data.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1210_seven_budget_carburetors_tested/viewall.html

Thanks very much for this info. It proves as I suspected from my past experiences with both the Holley and Edelbrock carbs. There truely is very little difference out of the box and if you want to improve drivability or try to rate one over the other, tuning factors and replacing out of the box components comes in to play. Great article from Car Craft.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 11:39 AM

Quote:

I had small problem of fuel boiling in my carb and sometimes after a very hot start it would flood and I would have to keep the pedal on the floor to get it started and then get moving to cool it down some. Its because of the cheap pump gas fuel that they added more ethanal to this year as I have never had this problem until this year and I have run this same basic fuel system for years. Oh and my carb is an 850 DP. I already had a 1/2" phenolic spacer so I added a heat shield below the carb and actually put a cool can back on the car. I only use it it very hot humid weather but I will throw an ice pack in the cool can when I cruise on them very hot days and I have not had the problem at all anymore. And my eng never overheats as it will get up to 190 to 200 tops on even the most brutal hot days. Ron

Thanks Ron. I ordered a heat insulator from Jegs Friday so I'm going to try that first. I put an old .200 phenolic spacer that I had under the Carter and it helped so I'm hoping the .320 spacer kit will take care of it. I've got a Moroso .500 insulator but I'm a little leary about installing that and raising the carb up too high. I've got all that Ramcharger duct work and air cleaner. If the .320 insulator doesn't help, I may go head and block the crossovers. What seems odd to me is that the Edelbrock and Carter is basically the same carbs and I didn't really see this with my old Carter Comp on it.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 12:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Ron. I ordered a heat insulator from Jegs Friday so I'm going to try that first. I put an old .200 phenolic spacer that I had under the Carter and it helped so I'm hoping the .320 spacer kit will take care of it. I've got a Moroso .500 insulator but I'm a little leary about installing that and raising the carb up too high. I've got all that Ramcharger duct work and air cleaner. If the .320 insulator doesn't help, I may go head and block the crossovers. What seems odd to me is that the Edelbrock and Carter is basically the same carbs and I didn't really see this with my old Carter Comp on it.

I bet you the reason the eddie carb run hotter and boils the fuel is because it's leaner than your old carter.
The 1406 is lean from the factory, use the jetting chart from the 1405 and richen it up.

Been tuning the 1405 since the 90s and have changed mine and driven it all over the country from Key West and sea level to Pikes Pike at 14110'.

My manifold with no heat risers, I have driven this car in Reno and Vegas in July and Aug and to the top of Pikes Pike on a 95 degree day. That's huge, please go try it someday.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 12:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I bet you the reason the eddie carb run hotter and boils the fuel is because it's leaner than your old carter.
The 1406 is lean from the factory, use the jetting chart from the 1405 and richen it up.

Been tuning the 1405 since the 90s and have changed mine and driven it all over the country from Key West and sea level to Pikes Pike at 14110'.

I'll try that. You happen to have the 1405 chart handy? That 1406 does seem a little doggie at part throttle. Probably the reason.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 12:37 PM

Checkout my pipes after running the car out in Wendover Nv and Bonniville Ut. It's 4400 feet out there and like 600 feet where I live. I have been to bonneville 3 times now and have always leaned it out to go there. We also go to Reno and drive in the Serria mountains going from Kings Beach to Truckee Ca between 6000-7000 feet.

I ran it over 100 mph for miles at a time which puts everything to a serious test just this past June. That's salt all over the car.

web page
web page

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 12:58 PM

Quote:

I'll try that. You happen to have the 1405 chart handy? That 1406 does seem a little doggie at part throttle. Probably the reason.

Been looking for a better picture of the tunning chart for a 1405 and have not found one yet. I keep looking or see if I can get a better picture if someone else don't post it.

Here's the car in San Francisco facing the Pacific ocean. It got a good salt spray from the ocean within a few hours, this RV park allowed you to use as much water as you want to wash your RV. Some people washed there stuff every morning.

If you look hard enough you can see Hawaii off to the left.

Then a day or so later were at 4400 feet, I change the carb all the time and don't leave it the same.
Like driving on the moon.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 01:40 PM

Quote:

I used this and it helped a bunch on my Thunder AVS.

I also have an electric fuel pump however, the spacer helped more with vapor locking with 91oct and very hot ambient temps.
Posted By: runinonmt

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 01:44 PM

Been looking for a better picture of the tunning chart for a 1405 and have not found one yet. I keep looking or see if I can get a better picture if someone else don't post it.

The whole instruction manual including the chart is available on Edelbrock's website
Ron

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 02:18 PM

Quote:

The whole instruction manual including the chart is available on Edelbrock's website
Ron

web page

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ron

web page

Thanks!!

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What seems odd to me is that the Edelbrock and Carter is basically the same carbs and I didn't really see this with my old Carter Comp on it.

the internal spec of the Ebrock has to be different from the carter , the similarity is only on the surface . Don't get to carried away with spacers with your ductwork.

I can't understand why you haven't put the rebuilt carter back on , or would that be too easy ?

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 09/30/12 10:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What seems odd to me is that the Edelbrock and Carter is basically the same carbs and I didn't really see this with my old Carter Comp on it.

the internal spec of the Ebrock has to be different from the carter , the similarity is only on the surface . Don't get to carried away with spacers with your ductwork.

I can't understand why you haven't put the rebuilt carter back on , or would that be too easy ?

Yep. Too much spacer and I could end up crunching that under hood duct work. Right now, I really don't know how much is too much spacer. I've got the stock intake on it that's low profile but I really need to calculate that especially if I start messing around with the .500 Moroso spacer that I have.

I haven't put the Carter back on cause I would really like to get this issue worked out. The Carter is on my 68 right now and would have to put that Edelbrock on that. Same issue is probably present. I sold the old 600 Holley I had on my 69 back when I was putting a new cam and lifter set in. I've ran Holleys off and on over the years and as I mentioned earlier they have their quirks too like leaking around the pump. Friend of mine was in need of a carb and wanted a Holley so I rebuilt that one and sold it to him. I expected to get the orginal AVS for the 69 going as well but I'm still toying with that thing.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/07/12 12:23 PM

Quote:

I got that 9266 spacer but when I saw it the material made me question if it would stand up to the stock manifold heat crossover. I should have read the instructions before buying it appears. It's not recommended for stock manifolds like mine. To use that, I'll need to block the crossovers.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/07/12 12:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I got that 9266 spacer but when I saw it the material made me question if it would stand up to the stock manifold heat crossover. I should have read the instructions before buying it appears. It's not recommended for stock manifolds like mine. To use that, I'll need to block the crossovers.

Where did you read this? I didn't see it. We are not talking those POS cool carb spacers. Nylon can handle ther heat.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/07/12 12:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where did you read this? I didn't see it. We are not talking those POS cool carb spacers. Nylon can handle ther heat.

It's in the instructions for the 9266 spacer.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/07/12 01:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's in the instructions for the 9266 spacer.

Wow the listing says extreme under hood temps, That's kind of BS. Then just get a good ole old fashion phonelic spacer, they work fine.

But If you having trouble with this, then I change the manifold to something without a heat riser or block yours before going any farther. My
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/07/12 01:56 PM

""We are not talking those POS cool carb spacers.""

""But If you having trouble with this, then I change the manifold to something without a heat riser or block yours before going any farther.""

That is good advice for both the Edy-9266,the Cool Carb members, and anyone trying to drive on todays crapty gas blend.

Posted By: RJS

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/07/12 03:57 PM

I have a 1407 on my stock 70 440.
It has the same problem of warm start issue.
When I pulled the engine for a re seal and cosmetic resto I blocked the heat crossover but it still has a warm start problem if I touch the gas pedal when starting.
If I just start it with the key and NO pedal it will start 9 out of 10 times.
I also have a factory thick gasket but may order up that one that was posted to see what happens.

I just ordered step up springs last night due to a bog when nailing the car.
Ron

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/08/12 11:35 AM

Quote:

I have a 1407 on my stock 70 440.
It has the same problem of warm start issue.
When I pulled the engine for a re seal and cosmetic resto I blocked the heat crossover but it still has a warm start problem if I touch the gas pedal when starting.
If I just start it with the key and NO pedal it will start 9 out of 10 times.
I also have a factory thick gasket but may order up that one that was posted to see what happens.

I just ordered step up springs last night due to a bog when nailing the car.
Ron

I like driving mine in the Winter before the snow flies and carb icing on the bottom becomes an issue then at cold startup, but overall, the lesser of the two issues if I block the crossovers. Probably the best thing to do. I bought the Fel pro valley pan with the blocked crossovers and put it on my Roadrunner quite a few years ago. Those things open up eventually. It did on that.
Posted By: warpspeed

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/08/12 10:37 PM

Wow! I cant believe I am doing this again. When there is a "vapor lock" does that mean that the carb won't allow any more fuel into the carb? If that is the case, just how do you fix it? I have a 318 engine, with an edelbrock carb, a dual plane intake, a circulating fuel system from the filter just down stream from the mechanical pump, a clear filter at the carb, (just to make sure I can tell whether the fuel is moving), and the fuel lines are away from any heat sink. The carb isn't that hot, that is too hot to touch. There is the 1/2" gasket you mention to insulate it from the manifold, (yes it really is hot). But, we ran with the car for over a year without any problems before even insulating the carb from the manifold.

Noticed the coil, a new one, is really hot. Is that normal?

Noticed that the fuel was slowly getting less and less in the clear filter bowl. Especially as I would test the acceleration pump. This pump was squirting lightly but not putting out much fuel. Yeah, I get it may be lean. I will fix that. When it quit, it was 1/4 mile from the house. I left it in a parking lot while I worked on it. Changed out the fuel pump, didn't help. Then eight hours later, I went back by and it started up so I could drive it the rest of the way home. But it was completely cooled off.

This is getting really frustrating! I know the carb is the culprit and I am getting really mad at it, but, I just feel that it will run fine if I can just get this problem eliminated. Just need to see if the vapor lock is the problem and how to stop it. It just didn't seem to be a really heat problem.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/09/12 01:15 AM

Quote:

Noticed that the fuel was slowly getting less and less in the clear filter bowl.

Do you have an operational heat riser/crossover? rearward from the mechanical pump there's no pinholes and the sock ain't restricted? I have a DD 318 with an eddie 1406 & no issues even with E10 but my eng compartment is open & the heat riser is non op.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/09/12 02:29 PM

I haven't checked the heat riser. There isn't a cat anymore since we don't have to have the car inspection here. Even in NC, a car this old isn't run through emissions. But, I will look at this out.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/09/12 03:14 PM

Since most complain about the Eddy and it's problems which I never had,why not get a good used AVS or AFB that suits your needs,rework it and be done ? There are enough for just about any application.

Carb._________Venturi dia._________Bore dia.

CFM__________Pri.____Sec._______Pri._____Sec.

750 ................1 7/16.....1 9/16 ......1 11/16....1 11/16
625.................1 3/16.....1 9/16.......1 7/16......1 11/16
575.................1 1/4.......1 9/16.......1 9/16......1 11/16
500.................1 3/16.....1 1/4.........1 7/16 .....1 11/16
400 ................1 1/8.......1 1/4.........1 7/16......1 7/16

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/09/12 03:24 PM

Sounds like a good idea. I really want to get this carb going. So, I am going to stick to it the best I can. My wife thinks I should just get rid of the whole care because of this one little problem. What I can't understand is why there wasn't a problem with it for more than a year of driving. Quality of gas a problem? I will jump up to a mid grade if necessary, but, I really think there is a good solution to this problem without going to that extreme. And my heat riser appears to be working okay. So, it is back to tearing the carb down, going to a higher flow rate, and having a back up carb ready to go on at a moments notice.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/09/12 06:11 PM

Quote:

""We are not talking those POS cool carb spacers.""

""But If you having trouble with this, then I change the manifold to something without a heat riser or block yours before going any farther.""

That is good advice for both the Edy-9266,the Cool Carb members, and anyone trying to drive on todays crapty gas blend.

My

If you use a manifold without a heat riser or have them blocked, then you really don't need a carb spacer to keep the carb cool. So that's why I think so poorly of the cool carb things, because they only can be used on a cool engine. What good is that??

As you know I have a very good running 340 with a victor340 manifold with no heat risers with my 1405 eddie carb sitting right on the manifold with only a gasket.

And my car runs great even in 110 degree temps in Vegas and in 100 degree heat that we had here this summer. It has idled for over a 1/2 hour on a 100 degree day just recently with no issues and it starts with a flick of the key.

Like I said in the past, I thinks it's the dumbest thing in the world to use aluminum to isolate heat. I want to be on record saying this.

Get your tuneup in order and enjoy your cars without overheating like I do almost everyday.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/09/12 06:49 PM

Quote:

I'm sure you learned nothing!! way to go!!

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/10/12 11:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure you learned nothing!! way to go!!

The Holley bowls hung on each end help with the heat issue while the Carters and Edelbrocks are centered in the body across the heat path. Fact is, these cars mainly had Carters on them from the factory with a much different gas blend than we have today. My immediate plan is to check on Phenolic materials to see what kind of heat they will withstand and make a spacer. These fiber spacers on the market have to be used with the heat crossover blocked, and I agree, if your going to block the crossover you don't even need the spacer.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/10/12 01:40 PM

I bought a phenolic (1/2") spacer for a few bucks off ebay. It was here really fast. Look it up, it wasn't expensive.

Speaking of which, I started to take the carb off the engine last night to replace the Edelbrock spacer with this thicker spacer and found the nuts on the carb loose. The back left one was so loose, it was moving up and down from the vibration from the motor. I replaced the spacers and started it up. Didn't hear or feel any difference, but, I assure you I can't help but think this is the reason for the last issues. Last Saturday, the car ran fine for hour or so, stopping and starting here and there until I was coming back to the warehouse. Don't understand why it would restart and run well enough to drive it back to the warehouse, 1/4 mile away, but, THIS has to be the reason why I was having the last problem. Anyway, the spacer is there, fuel lines have been routed around all hot spots, the carb is tuned and I am going for a run to see if this stops the shut downs.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/10/12 02:39 PM

I would have tightened the nuts as is to see if that was it but yes holler if it's all good now

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/10/12 03:14 PM

yeah, you are right, but I wanted to replace the edelbrock spacer anyway. We'll see if it works.

Re: Edelbrock Carb Heat Soak Issue. - 10/15/12 02:36 PM

Drove the car home (15 miles) on Saturday without incident. Believe the first problem was the coil wire barely connected, then the nuts holding the carburator down. Even though I didn't stop and start a bunch of times, I can't help but believe that the loose nuts were the last straw. With the new 1/2" spacer, I think the heat sink problem is gone. I took off one circulating filter and have left a final filter at the carburator. It is indicating that the fuel pressure is better and flow is good. There are a lot of little things that hurt, but it appears they are all good now. Will drive the car now without fear it wants to shut down.

Thanks for all the imput and great imformation.
© 2024 Moparts Forums